Old October 14th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- Alistair Bell said:

I'd be more interested in the feasibility of turning the Northern City
into a DLR line to East Finchley... the tunnelling would be much
shorter (but again with vault issues)

And also the issue of getting the DLR from directly below the Northern
line at Bank to directly above it at Moorgate. Apart from that, it's a
great idea, Alistair. It would relieve overcowding of the Northern
line's City and Edgware And it would give people in Essex Rd and
Drayton Pk a proper weekend/evening service for the first time in ages!

I rather suspect that if the side-to-side issues can be resolved, the
vertical issues really won't be too bad. DLR stock can manage some
pretty impressive gradients -- as you can see coming up from Bank to
Royal Mint Street Junction! Also, the Northern Line crosses over
itself between Bank and Moorgate, which again suggests that there's
vertical room to ascend. Whether there's horizontal room is indeed the
issue, but maybe there's a little room west of the Northern Line.

Old October 14th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:30:11 +0100, Spyke wrote:

In message , k
writes
On 13 Oct 2004 22:39:49 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

You must be mistaken. The Waterloo and City line definitely still has
trains painted in NSE livery.

It must have some that aren't then as well, because the trains I've
traveled on definitely weren't NSE livery

I've travelled on both, so presumably there some sets with NSE livery
and some with LU roundels over the previous livery. (Note that the stock
still has the blue doors and fronts from NSE days as opposed to the red
doors and fronts that are standard elsewhere on LU).

If you look on the backs of the cars you will find the original 483
xxx unit numbers.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett
Old October 15th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

PRAR wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 14 Oct 2004:

I've travelled on both, so presumably there some sets with NSE livery
and some with LU roundels over the previous livery. (Note that the stock
still has the blue doors and fronts from NSE days as opposed to the red
doors and fronts that are standard elsewhere on LU).

If you look on the backs of the cars you will find the original 483
xxx unit numbers.

I thought the stock was identical to the '95 stock on the Central Line?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old October 15th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:16:43 on Fri,
15 Oct 2004, Annabel Smyth remarked:
I thought the stock was identical to the '95 stock on the Central Line?

It started off identical, but both fleets have now diverged in somewhat
different directions, due to different operating environments.
Old October 15th 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 13:16:43 on Fri,
15 Oct 2004, Annabel Smyth remarked:

I thought the stock was identical to the '95 stock on the Central Line?

(should be 92 stock)

It started off identical, but both fleets have now diverged in somewhat
different directions, due to different operating environments.

ISTR the number of modifications performed on the Central fleet only, plus
the number of modifications performed on the W&C fleet only, is over a
hundred.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 15th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Steve Dulieu wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

Anyway, as has been pointed out, th W&C is tube gauge, not mainline, so
would need to be widened. Visionless naysayers protest that this would be
impossible, but i demur - that's exactly what, i read in CULG, was done to
the City & South London Railway when it became part of the Northern Line.
They even did much of the widening at night, with trains still running in
the day! Until they hit a gas main and exploded it, anyway.

Errrm, of course you don't actually need to widen the tunnel at all. You
hand over the new extended line to LUL and they run it with tube stock...

This is true. However, it would be a bit of a waste of all that nice
wide-gauge line to use it for titchy little midget trains: bigger trains
have greater capacity and are a lot more passenger-friendly. This is
especially important if we're talking about running long-distance services
along this route, as Sir Benjy was.

tom

--
there is not much call for a Chinese George Michael

Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel? Abigail Brady London Transport 28 October 15th 07 12:34 AM
A 15-year-old, a bridge, a rope, and a can of spray paint Mark Brader London Transport 1 March 5th 07 11:44 AM
New DLR station, and old Thames Tunnel John Rowland London Transport 7 December 1st 06 08:08 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 03:13 PM
Trains to Moorgate now go via Liverpool Street John London Transport 3 November 24th 03 02:30 PM