Old November 8th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Too many bus stops in london?

Mrs Redboots typed

Do feel free to point out where Helen said she used a wheelchair?

Thanks. I'm not yet in a wheelchair and walk without a stick but I
*can't* walk very far (about 200 metres).

Why do you make such an assumption - I know loads of people who are
disabled (including my sister-in-law and my nephew) who don't use a
wheelchair.

Most disabled people are neither in wheelchairs, nor blind. There seems
to be much provision for these, less for people like me who can't walk
far and need seats downstairs on the buses.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 9th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote in message ...
In article , Boltar
writes
Stuck in a traffic jam again this morning caused (surprise surprise)
by a bus crawling along the road and stopping in the middle of it even when
it could pull into the bus stop, I suddenly wondered why it was deemed
necessary to have a bus stop every 200 hundred metres. Are the people who
use the bus too bone idle to be able to walk more than the length of a
football pitch to get to the stop?

I take it you would be all in favour of the proposed West London Tram,
because that would drastically cut down the number of stops along
Uxbridge Road. It's one of the best arguments against the tram, IMHO.

Sounds like a good idea to me then. No doubt the nimbys in croydon said the
same thing 5 years ago. Lets turn your argument on its head however and see
how it sounds - you have a nice fast tram service and someone comes along and
says "we're going to replace it with a slow bus that stops every 200 / 400
metres so lazy people don't have to walk so far. What do you think? Good idea?"
I'm sure they'd be oh so popular.

B2003

B2003
Old November 9th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
Mrs Redboots typed

Do feel free to point out where Helen said she used a wheelchair?

Thanks. I'm not yet in a wheelchair and walk without a stick but I
*can't* walk very far (about 200 metres).

Well in that case unless the bus stops within 200 metres of your
destination then its useless to you anyway so your point is?

B2003
Old November 9th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 8 Nov 2004:

Mrs Redboots typed

Do feel free to point out where Helen said she used a wheelchair?

Thanks. I'm not yet in a wheelchair and walk without a stick but I
*can't* walk very far (about 200 metres).

Is what I seem to remember from earlier postings of yours!

Why do you make such an assumption - I know loads of people who are
disabled (including my sister-in-law and my nephew) who don't use a
wheelchair.

Most disabled people are neither in wheelchairs, nor blind. There seems
to be much provision for these, less for people like me who can't walk
far and need seats downstairs on the buses.

My in-laws are blind, as it happens, but, as you so rightly say, it's
mostly people who can't walk very well. Which new buses simply don't
address, if you ask me, as there's such a long way to go before you can
sit down, and no conductor to help you on and off.

My sister-in-law thinks it's very funny that the bell-pushes on modern
buses have markings in Braille on them - by the time you've found the
bell-push, would you actually need the Braille to tell you that you
have?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 9th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 9 Nov 2004:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message
. ..
Mrs Redboots typed

Do feel free to point out where Helen said she used a wheelchair?

Thanks. I'm not yet in a wheelchair and walk without a stick but I
*can't* walk very far (about 200 metres).

Well in that case unless the bus stops within 200 metres of your
destination then its useless to you anyway so your point is?

And according to you, buses *do* stop every 200 metres, so *your* point
is?

Old November 9th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Boltar
writes
I take it you would be all in favour of the proposed West London Tram,
because that would drastically cut down the number of stops along
Uxbridge Road. It's one of the best arguments against the tram, IMHO.

Sounds like a good idea to me then. No doubt the nimbys in croydon said
the same thing 5 years ago.

The difference between the two schemes is that a large part of the
Croydon tram runs along disused railway lines. West London is designed
to go straight down the Uxbridge Road all the way from Shepherd's Bush
to Uxbridge, with other traffic banned in several places along the way.

--
Thoss
Old November 9th 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mrs Redboots
writes
My sister-in-law thinks it's very funny that the bell-pushes on modern
buses have markings in Braille on them - by the time you've found the
bell-push, would you actually need the Braille to tell you that you
have?

IIRC, there's a class of mainline train that has a *fake* push button on
it[*]. Nevertheless, the DDA Mafia insisted that it have a Braille
label.
[*] There's a good reason for this - the door in question is operated by
breaking a light beam. If your body doesn't break the beam, reaching out
to the button will.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: