Old November 23rd 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

(Mait001) wrote in message ...
It would not be difficult to use these platforms for Windsor Line trains,
making it much less likely for any trains to have to queue up outside
Waterloo waiting for platforms. But that wonn't make use of the platform
length - it would probably be too expensive to extend any Windsor line
station to take 12x20m trains, let alone 16- or 20-car.

Not to mention the fact that they still can't even run a full complement
of 8 car trains of the new stocks on the 3rd rail system because of power
supply issues.

Leaving aside the power supply issues, which will have to be resolved in any
event, why cannot 12-car or 16-car trains be run on the Windsor lines. What
law is there that EVERY car has to be accessible to each platform?

Why couldn't for example, a Reading train leaving Waterloo specify that only
the doors of the first 8 carriages will open at certain stations and the rear 8
carriages at the others?

This could not have happened with slam-door trains, but with controlled doors,
why can this not happen?

Those making the whole joruney could sit anywhere, and others would be
directed by signs to the correct part of the train for their station.

Marc.

Please explain how you would reverse a 12/16-car EMU at the following stations:
- Ascot
- Kingston
- Reading
- Shepperton
- Staines
- Twickenham
- Weybridge
- Windsor & Eton Riverside

Old November 23rd 04, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , James
writes

For SWT services that stop at Vauxhall, the Victoria line to King's
Cross will be a better bet - but the interchange at Vauxhall, with
luggage, in the rush hour, is an abomination.

Vauxhall's fine.

ROFL!

No lifts. No escalators. No disabled access/ Long rickety staircase
that's so over-crowded you have to wait several minutes to use it in the
rush hour.

Remember that Eurostar passengers are likely to have LUGGAGE - and even
the day trippers tend to come back with a dozen bottles of wine.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 23rd 04, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

James wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 22 Nov 2004:

It's easy: get off at Vauxhall, get on the Victoria Line, get off at
KXSP. That is one of the easiest cross-London transfers ever. If your
particular train doesn't stop at Vauxhall, perhaps you would like to
lobby SWT to stop it there.

All those steps? With heavy luggage? I *don't* think so.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 23rd 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , James
writes

Vauxhall's fine.

ROFL!

No lifts. No escalators. No disabled access/ Long rickety staircase that's
so over-crowded you have to wait several minutes to use it in the rush
hour.

At least they have put in a second staircase to platforms 7 and 8 now which
has made things better.

Dave

Old November 23rd 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , Dave Liney
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , James
writes

Vauxhall's fine.

ROFL!

No lifts. No escalators. No disabled access/ Long rickety staircase that's
so over-crowded you have to wait several minutes to use it in the rush
hour.

At least they have put in a second staircase to platforms 7 and 8 now which
has made things better.

Not for people on all the various services that stop at the other
platforms!

--
Paul Terry

Old November 23rd 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Dave Liney
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , James
writes

Vauxhall's fine.

ROFL!

No lifts. No escalators. No disabled access/ Long rickety staircase
that's
so over-crowded you have to wait several minutes to use it in the rush
hour.

At least they have put in a second staircase to platforms 7 and 8 now
which
has made things better.

Not for people on all the various services that stop at the other
platforms!

But I don't use them so that's okay. (That is the attitude we're meant to
take isn't it? Otherwise I can't see why so many people are complaining
about the Eurostar terminal moving all of 1.9 miles across a city with a
very good public transport links.)

If you want flat interchanges then go to Waterloo as normal and get a bus to
Euston (at least three routes IIRC) and walk from there. Or you could walk
to Aldwych and get a direct bus from there. It'll take around 30 minutes
either way.

Dave.

Old November 23rd 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , at 14:03:50 on
Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Dave Liney remarked:
I can't see why so many people are complaining about the Eurostar
terminal moving all of 1.9 miles across a city with a very good public
transport links.)

It'll take around 30 minutes either way.

hmm, 3.8mph might be one reason!
Old November 23rd 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , Dave Liney
writes

But I don't use them so that's okay. (That is the attitude we're meant to
take isn't it?

No - your reasoning has failed. The argument is not about things we
don't use - it is about facilities that are currently in place and that
we do use - and that are not being replaced by anything comparable.

Otherwise I can't see why so many people are complaining
about the Eurostar terminal moving all of 1.9 miles across a city with a
very good public transport links.)

Its not the distance. Its the time and inconvenience that is the problem
- as you so very well demonstrate.

If you want flat interchanges then go to Waterloo as normal and get a bus to
Euston (at least three routes IIRC) and walk from there. Or you could walk
to Aldwych and get a direct bus from there. It'll take around 30 minutes
either way.

What's the point? Heathrow is 15 minutes drive from this part of
South-West London and flying is cheaper.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 23rd 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:17:38 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

James wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 22 Nov 2004:

It's easy: get off at Vauxhall, get on the Victoria Line, get off at
KXSP. That is one of the easiest cross-London transfers ever. If your
particular train doesn't stop at Vauxhall, perhaps you would like to
lobby SWT to stop it there.

All those steps? With heavy luggage? I *don't* think so.

Perhaps when they close Waterloo Intl they can be persuaded to move
some of the redundant escalators to Vauxhall?
--
Peter Lawrence
Old November 23rd 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Buses from Waterloo to King's Cross (was Eurostar to quit Waterloo)

Dave Liney wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In message , Dave Liney
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

[...]

Why on earth isn't there a direct bus between Waterloo and King's
Cross?! I never even noticed that before. These are arguably the two
most important railway termini. This is especially bad when there isn't
even a direct Tube route between the two.

I guess that the roadworks would foul up the reliability of any buses
serving King's Cross. I hope they extend the 59, 68 or 188 once the
construction works are complete.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7