Old November 17th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Theo Markettos wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 17 Nov 2004:

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember

seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to

make
way for Eurostar?

Surely they were being built in the late 80s? Actually, I think they
were built earlier - early 80s - but the construction of the Channel
Tunnel was delayed so that they did sit mothballed for awhile.

The Eurostar platforms were built on the site of *old* platforms 16-21,
which were the former Windsor line platforms, and were under the original
roof of the 1885 North station. The rest of the station, and the concourse,
were rebuilt between about 1908 and 1922. To make up for the platforms which
were removed to make way for the Eurostar terminal, additional platforms
were provided on the former cab road.

Peter

Old November 17th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message
"John Rowland" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

once you do away with customs, immigration
and insecurity. build a mezanine over the current
sunken area before the barrier line and have level
access to the platforms as per the rest of the station.

I suspect customs etc at Waterloo will be mothballed rather than removed,
because they will want somewhere to offload Johnny Foreigner if an incident
closes the Stratford / St Pancras line.

KO as now I would assume.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old November 17th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Ebbsfleet (was Eurostar to quit Waterloo)

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Isn't it Green Belt?

Errr... if it was, it isn't any more (so I'm guessing it wasn't!).
Planning permission was granted last year for a 3,000 home + ~800,000m²
commerical development called (at the moment) Kent Thameside. Part of
the Prescott grand vision for the Thames Gateway I think.

http://www.kt-s.co.uk

Thankfully a generally-segregated bus system is planned for the area,
with a network of buses running initially between Dartford, Bluewater,
Greenhithe, Northfleet and Gravesend, with other legs added gradually
afterwards (they expect to serve the international station by the time
it opens). They mention a both local and express routes between
Ebbsfleet and Gravesend.

Some of the area has been taken out of the Green Belt. One of the main
development sites, Eastern Quarry, is an enormous chalk pit that stretches
from Bluewater to Northfleet (the CTRL runs through this). Construction of
the segregated bus network, which will run between Dartford and Gravesend,
via Bluewater and Ebbsfleet, has started.
Peter

Old November 18th 04, 06:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:29:23 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 17 Nov 2004:

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to make
way for Eurostar?

Surely they were being built in the late 80s? Actually, I think they
were built earlier - early 80s - but the construction of the Channel
Tunnel was delayed so that they did sit mothballed for awhile.

They were certainly under construction during 1990-91 as I used
Waterloo regularly during that period and can remember the building
work going on.

From memory, so the details may be incorrect, before the Eurostar
terminal was built Waterloo had 21 platforms with something like
platforms 18-21 on the site of the current Eurostar platforms. Space
was found in the main part of the station to add two extra platforms.

For a year or two during the construction work at least two of the
platforms used by suburban trains to Wandsworth and points south-west
started some way from the concourse.

Martin

Old November 18th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 17 Nov 2004:

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember
seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to
make
way for Eurostar?

Surely they were being built in the late 80s? Actually, I think they
were built earlier - early 80s - but the construction of the Channel
Tunnel was delayed so that they did sit mothballed for awhile.

They were certainly under construction during 1990-91 as I used
Waterloo regularly during that period and can remember the building
work going on.

From memory, so the details may be incorrect, before the Eurostar
terminal was built Waterloo had 21 platforms with something like
platforms 18-21 on the site of the current Eurostar platforms. Space
was found in the main part of the station to add two extra platforms.

For a year or two during the construction work at least two of the
platforms used by suburban trains to Wandsworth and points south-west
started some way from the concourse.

Martin

My recollection of visits to Waterloo in the late 1960s suggest that at
least part of the site of Waterloo International was carriage sidings, along
with the lift used for stock exchanges to the Waterloo and City.
Brian

Old November 18th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Terry Harper wrote:

No, it's a comment on the consequences of living in Greater London on

one's
choice of transport. The word, if it exists, is probably centrospective.

Personally, I'd rather have Ken running my transport than the DfT, or
whatever county council. At least things get done.

You miss the point, Dave. That is that transport in London tends to be
almost exclusively radial. You have little option but to travel via the
centre zone.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old November 18th 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Terry Harper wrote:

No, it's a comment on the consequences of living in Greater
London on one's choice of transport. The word, if it exists,
is probably centrospective.

Personally, I'd rather have Ken running my transport than the
DfT, or whatever county council. At least things get done.

You miss the point, Dave. That is that transport in London tends
to be almost exclusively radial. You have little option but to travel
via the centre zone.

Yes, that's true. But why did you bring Ken into it? The radial
infrastructure was there for over a hundred years before he was elected.
This is one of the few things he can't blamed for!

Old November 18th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , BH Williams
writes

My recollection of visits to Waterloo in the late 1960s suggest that at
least part of the site of Waterloo International was carriage sidings, along
with the lift used for stock exchanges to the Waterloo and City.

Correct. There were also a couple of large old BR office blocks, roughly
where the new taxi drop-off road to Eurostar is now located.

Incidentally, according to wikipedia, the Eurostar terminal was started
in 1990 and opened in 1994.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 18th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Terry Harper wrote:

No, it's a comment on the consequences of living in Greater
London on one's choice of transport. The word, if it exists,
is probably centrospective.

Personally, I'd rather have Ken running my transport than the
DfT, or whatever county council. At least things get done.

You miss the point, Dave. That is that transport in London tends
to be almost exclusively radial. You have little option but to travel
via the centre zone.

Yes, that's true. But why did you bring Ken into it? The radial
infrastructure was there for over a hundred years before he was elected.
This is one of the few things he can't blamed for!

....and he is also pressing on with the ELL extension which will
eventually, after completion of phase 2 to Clapham Jc, provide a full ring
route around London in combination with the the NLL and WLL lines.

David