Old November 22nd 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line extension news

In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
On 17 Nov 2004, Boltar wrote:

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in message ...

After phase one, 12 trains an hour will run from Dalston Junction to Surrey
Quays, serving three routes to New Cross, Crystal Palace and West Croydon.
When phase two is done, it will increase to 16 trains an hour in each
direction through the central station.

Dalston junction eh? Thats bloody useful. God forbid they might have
terminated at finsbury park as was originally mooted so people on WAGN
or the piccadilly and victoria lines could have easily changed onto it.
Still , par for the course for the british half arsed approach I
suppose.

There was some reason they couldn't go to FP. Not a very good reason, i
seem to remember thinking; something that sounded like an excuse to cover
up the fact that some TOC at FP didn't like it. I might be thinking of the
story of the Northern City Line, though. Plus ca change ...

Has anyone looked into carrying on west from Dalston, along the NLL route?
Isn't the track quadruple from Dalston J to Barnsbury or Camden Road or
something? Even if the ELL can't get to Finsbury Park, Highbury &
Islington would be hugely useful.

The ELLX will be going to Canonbury, Highbury & Islington and Caledonian
Road & Barnsbury (where turnback sidings can be added) in Phase 2, which
the Mayor believes can be funded if, after 2009, the government
continues giving TfL the same amount each year that they are getting for
the five-year investment programme.

Phase 2 would also include Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction, replacing
South London Line services. It hasn't been said what alternative
arrangements would be made for travellers from Wandsworth Road to any
central London station. All other SLL stations seem to have alternative
services to the ones they would lose.

I thought the TfL grand plan for Phase 2 was a circular service using SLL,
ELL, NLL and WLL giving Clapham Jc-Surrey Quays-Dalston-Willesden
HL-Clapham Jc and vice versa.

David

Old November 22nd 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kapitan Klink wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote in message ...

Phase 2 would also include Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction, replacing
South London Line services. It hasn't been said what alternative
arrangements would be made for travellers from Wandsworth Road to any
central London station. All other SLL stations seem to have alternative
services to the ones they would lose.

Lose what services?

Look at the map on the webpage given.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n...hp?imid=119321

Or if your newsreader wraps lines, try

http://tinyurl.com/5cgdo

Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street are shown as National Rail
interchange stations, which sorta implies that the South London Line
services will continue (I don't know of any other NR services which
use those stations)

What route will the trains take to get from the SLL to clapham Jn?

I wonder if they plan to stop other NR services at Wandsworth Rd and
Clapham High St to substitute for the lost SLL services (I read that
someone mentioned replacing SLL services in phase 2 - but I can't
remember where!).

From the SLL to Clapham Junction, they'd use the curve that already
exists from Wandsworth Road, arriving into the platform where
Silverlink's West London Line trains currently terminate.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 22nd 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kapitan Klink wrote:

[...]

Is there still a plan to open a station at Brixton? This would be a really
useful interchange for any SLL/orbital service.

Angus

Old November 22nd 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Kapitan Klink wrote:

SNIPPED
What route will the trains take to get from the SLL to clapham Jn?

I wonder if they plan to stop other NR services at Wandsworth Rd and
Clapham High St to substitute for the lost SLL services (I read that
someone mentioned replacing SLL services in phase 2 - but I can't
remember where!).
From the SLL to Clapham Junction, they'd use the curve that already
exists from Wandsworth Road, arriving into the platform where
Silverlink's West London Line trains currently terminate.
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Would that be why the Watford-Brighton service, which also uses platform 16
(?), is being dropped ?
Cheerz,
Baz

Old November 22nd 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Would that be why the Watford-Brighton service, which also uses
platform 16 (?), is being dropped ?

Eh? Silverlink's West London Line trains currently terminate in platform
2, right the other end of the station. The plan is to relay the track in
platform 1 and use that too.

Marratxi is referring to the Southern service that uses Platform 16
which is being cut back/or axed, I'm not totally sure which.

--
Darren
Old November 22nd 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

From the SLL to Clapham Junction, they'd use the curve that already
exists from Wandsworth Road, arriving into the platform where
Silverlink's West London Line trains currently terminate.

aka the Ludgate lines

Old November 23rd 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kapitan Klink wrote:

[...]

Currently depends on funding; a station at Brixton would be on the brick
viaduct and would cost around £70m. ELLX Phase 2 would probably go ahead
without it, to make sure the cost of the station at Brixton didn't
jeopardise the rest of the project.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 23rd 04, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

gwr4090 wrote:
In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On 17 Nov 2004, Boltar wrote:

[...]

Not the plan for Phase 2 - call that Phase 3 (or Orbirail). Phase 2
would have Caledonian Road & Barnsbury round to Clapham Junction via
Surrey Quays, with cross-platform interchanges at Clapham Junction to
the WLL, at Caledonian Road to the NLL, and between the appropriate NLL
and WLL services at Willesden Junction. Orbirail would be the
continuation of this by running WLL services from Clapham Junction right
through via Highbury and Surrey Quays back to Clapham Junction (where
they would have to reverse).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7