Old November 16th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Ebbsfleet vs Northfleet

http://www.ctrl.co.uk/photos/gallery...asp?L=30&SL=43

Examination of the second plan on that page (very large file which seems
to have the wrong headers so may need downloading/renaming as a JPEG)
shows Northfleet as a tiny structure, dwarfed in comparison to the vast
Dartford International site with its 6 car parks.

However, Northfleet is reasonably close to Ebbsfleet (or at least Car
Park A) and I wonder why no pedestrian link is being put in. People from
Dartford might actually want to reach their International station
without getting in the car. Plus, since this massive development is on
Northfleet's doorstep, I would hope that some reasonable pedestrian
access will be built. After all, this is the centre of the new Kent
Thameside development with an extra 3000 homes and 790,000m² of
commercial space apparently...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 18th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
http://www.ctrl.co.uk/photos/gallery...asp?L=30&SL=43

Examination of the second plan on that page (very large file which seems
to have the wrong headers so may need downloading/renaming as a JPEG)
shows Northfleet as a tiny structure, dwarfed in comparison to the vast
Dartford International site with its 6 car parks.

However, Northfleet is reasonably close to Ebbsfleet (or at least Car Park
A) and I wonder why no pedestrian link is being put in. People from
Dartford might actually want to reach their International station without
getting in the car. Plus, since this massive development is on
Northfleet's doorstep, I would hope that some reasonable pedestrian access
will be built. After all, this is the centre of the new Kent Thameside
development with an extra 3000 homes and 790,000m² of commercial space
apparently...

It does seem like a wasted opportunity having Northfleet just a little too
far away for an easy interchange, and having the link to the North Kent line
towards the east to reach Gravesend. Indeed, what are you supposed to do if
you live near the existing Dartford station? Get a train to Gravesend, then
change for a train to Dartford Int'l? No-one will do that, they'll just get
a taxi. Same for people in neighbouring Bexley borough to the west - easy
reach of Dartford and North Kent line from existing stations, but looks like
there'll be no easy reach of Dartford Int'l = everyone in Bexley and west
Dartford will be taking car/taxi/bus when they *should* be able to go by
rail!

Early on, I was hoping they'd extend the Dartford line services from London
to Dartford Int'l by default, but that now looks unlikely, particularly
given the suggested link to the North Kent line which permits access from
the east only. Shame the new station isn't being built slightly further
north to incorporate Northfleet within its boundary (no, that would be just
too convenient...)

Old November 18th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Rich Mallard" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure Arriva or some other operator will cotton on to the idea of
running a bus link between existing stations and the new international
station to give fairly easy transfers between them.

Old November 20th 04, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Same for people in neighbouring Bexley borough to the west - easy
reach of Dartford and North Kent line from existing stations, but looks

like
there'll be no easy reach of Dartford Int'l = everyone in Bexley and west
Dartford will be taking car/taxi/bus when they *should* be able to go by
rail!

As someone who lives in Slade Green it would seem sensible to have a direct
connection from Dartford to Ebbsfleet by rail.

Early on, I was hoping they'd extend the Dartford line services from

London
to Dartford Int'l by default, but that now looks unlikely, particularly
given the suggested link to the North Kent line which permits access from
the east only.

Yep, it does seem a good idea.
Hopefully if they ever build Crossrail we might get a link from Dartford to
Ebbsfleet.

Keith Spink
InfoTransport (http://www.infotransport.co.uk)
Transport Images (http://www.transportimages.com/)

Old November 20th 04, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Keith Spink" wrote in message

As someone who lives in Slade Green it would seem sensible to have a

direct
connection from Dartford to Ebbsfleet by rail.

Hopefully if they ever build Crossrail we might get a link from Dartford

Ebbsfleet.

AIUI Crossrail intend to call their terminus Ebbsfleet Crossrail. The bad
news is that the likely location is adjacent to Northfleet station, rather
than adjacent to Ebbsfleet aka Dartford International.
Peter

Old November 20th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Keith Spink" wrote in message

As someone who lives in Slade Green it would seem sensible to have a

direct
connection from Dartford to Ebbsfleet by rail.

Hopefully if they ever build Crossrail we might get a link from Dartford

Ebbsfleet.

I wonder how much new rail developments in and about Ebbsfleet depend on
wheter or not the 2012 Olympic bid is successful or not. My view is that if
the bid fails (and I hope it does) then all these grandiose rail schemes
will disappear into the wood work. At least we won't be saddled with the
enormous debts suffered by former successful bidders.
MJW

Old November 20th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Hopefully if they ever build Crossrail we might get a link from Dartford
Ebbsfleet.

AIUI Crossrail intend to call their terminus Ebbsfleet Crossrail. The bad
news is that the likely location is adjacent to Northfleet station, rather
than adjacent to Ebbsfleet aka Dartford International.
Peter

I didn't realise that. What happened to the idea of integrated transport?
(joke ofcourse).

Old November 20th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
TP TP is offline

"M.Whitson" wrote:

I wonder how much new rail developments in and about Ebbsfleet depend on
wheter or not the 2012 Olympic bid is successful or not. My view is that if
the bid fails (and I hope it does) then all these grandiose rail schemes
will disappear into the wood work. At least we won't be saddled with the
enormous debts suffered by former successful bidders.

But Lord Coe has stated that the London Olympics will generate £100M
profits and will be debt free.

Don't you believe him?

;-)

Old November 20th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

TP writes

But Lord Coe has stated that the London Olympics will generate £100M
profits and will be debt free.

Don't you believe him?

;-)

Didn't a certain female believe him until er
but about the Olympics i have had a shuffty at the Indies slant on the
thing
what a bummer beach volley ball on horse guard's parade.

The ticket prices quoted £30 approx
The traffic for the athletes will move at a higher speed as their
transport will be prioritised at the traffic lights and others will be
kept out
Old November 21st 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Keith Spink" wrote in message
Hopefully if they ever build Crossrail we might get a link from

Dartford
Ebbsfleet.

AIUI Crossrail intend to call their terminus Ebbsfleet Crossrail. The

bad
news is that the likely location is adjacent to Northfleet station,

rather
than adjacent to Ebbsfleet aka Dartford International.
Peter

I didn't realise that. What happened to the idea of integrated transport?
(joke ofcourse).

One of the worst aspects of the point you make is the outpourings from the
E* front man who foresees E* passengers driving round the M25 in large
numbers to gain access to the 9,000 car park spaces so thoughtfully to be
provided at Ebbsfleet. I understand the KCC have expressed concern about
this influx but then they are a load of antediluvian fuddy duddies. I wonder
what microcephalic Prescott thinks of this. Perhaps he and his chums in
government have forgotten or had banned the word "integrated". Can someone
on the inside enlighten us?
MJW