Old December 14th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's closest pair of level crossings?

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

There's a level crossing (Helpston) right where the
Peterborough-Leicester line diverges from the ECML. I can't recall
whether it has one set of barriers or two, though.

That's Maxey Road, Helpston.

Most of the crossings between Peterborough and Helpston used to have a set
of GN gates and a set of MR gates (I don't recall there being two sets at
Woodcroft BICBW). I remember when I was a kid and my father used to take me
up to (what was then) Walton crossing, where the large concrete footbridge
now crosses the tracks, to watch A4s and Deltics in full flight. At that
location there was a GN signalbox to the north-east of the GN crossing and a
smaller MR box between the ECML and the Midland lines, both controlling
gated crossings. The space between the two crossings would accommodate, at
most, two or three cars and it was not uncommon to get trapped in the middle
with it being such a busy crossing (prior to the construction of Soke
Parkway in 1971 it was the main route across the ECML between Westwood
Bridge and Helpston. The crossing was one of the first in the Peterborough
area to be barriered, in about 1967 IIRC, controlled from the GN box
initially and then latterly from the new monitor box that was built on the
south side of the crossing between the former GN and MR lines, when the 1972
remodelling and resignalling of the Peterborough area took place.

Old December 14th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Vine Road, Barnes - there's room for only about
6 cars between the level crossing on the
Hounslow loop line and the level crossing
on the Windsor line:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x

That's the one I was thinking of - unless anyone can
think of a pair of crossings that are even closer than that.

In Nottingham a road crosses an adjacent railway and tramline. I think that
both lines are single track, being a former double track railway, but I
might be wrong there. There are barriers around the railway but the tramway
is ungated - this is because the tramline is too frequent to have a gated
crossing. I don't think there is room for even one car between the tramline
and the railway. (This is all hearsay, I have neve been there or seen
written confirmation).

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 15th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's busiest level crossing?

Colin McKenzie wrote:

There was a crossing in Japan, though I can't recall where,
on about an 8-track railway, with frequent services on all lines.
The gate spent most of the time down, and if you tried to walk
across you didn't usually get to the other side before the start
of the next closure warning.

I would guess something like 60 tph overall.

"Wheeee! Let's play chicken with the trains!"
Not.

Surely an underbirdge would be more efficient?

Old December 15th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message

There was a crossing in Japan, though I can't
recall where, on about an 8-track railway, with
frequent services on all lines.
The gate spent most of the time down,

That sounds like a lot, until you remember that most traffic lights are red
most of the time.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 15th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"thoss" wrote in message
In article . com,
TheOneKEA writes
Colin McKenzie wrote:

There was a crossing in Japan, though I can't recall where,
on about an 8-track railway, with frequent services on all lines.
The gate spent most of the time down, and if you tried to walk
across you didn't usually get to the other side before the start
of the next closure warning.

I would guess something like 60 tph overall.

"Wheeee! Let's play chicken with the trains!"
Not.

Surely an underbirdge would be more efficient?

under what?

Presumably road under railway.

If the crossing is handling 60 tph, I wonder how many cars per hour it can
allow across the crossing - I'd have thought the barriers would be down
almost 100% of each hour.

Old December 15th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

Presumably road under railway.

More likely to build road-bridge over railway; it can happen - back in
the 1940s they had started to build a bridge over the then Southern
railway line at Goring-by-sea and then for some reason (war? Economy?
Planning consent) it was never finished. Traffic had to use the
level-crossing, as before. You could always see where it would have
been, as they had made a roundabout at its foot, leading nowhere! Then
quite suddenly, I suppose about 15-20 years ago now, they built the
bridge and the level-crossing, although still there, is only really used
by cars going to the station car-park from south of the line.

If the crossing is handling 60 tph, I wonder how many cars per hour it can
allow across the crossing - I'd have thought the barriers would be down
almost 100% of each hour.

The mind boggles!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 15th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
Surely an underbirdge would be more efficient?

under what?

Presumably road under railway.

If the crossing is handling 60 tph, I wonder how many cars per hour it
can allow across the crossing - I'd have thought the barriers would be
down almost 100% of each hour.

I was really wondering what a birdge is!
--
Thoss