Old December 15th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's busiest level crossing?

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
Surely an underbirdge would be more efficient?

under what?

Presumably road under railway.

I was really wondering what a birdge is!
--
Thoss

Old December 15th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
thoss typed:

I was really wondering what a birdge is!

What? For 11 whole minutes??

Bob

Old December 15th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's closest pair of level crossings?

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

In Nottingham a road crosses an adjacent railway and tramline. I think that
both lines are single track, being a former double track railway, but I
might be wrong there. There are barriers around the railway but the tramway
is ungated - this is because the tramline is too frequent to have a gated
crossing. I don't think there is room for even one car between the tramline
and the railway. (This is all hearsay, I have neve been there or seen
written confirmation).

The first picture I can lay my hands on is at
http://www.nettrams.net/PictureGalle...s/WSBUP09F.htm
which suggests the yellow box and zig zags extend across the tramline
outside the barriers, as well as the NR line inside. So cars must not
stop there - especially since there is as you say no room !

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself
Old December 16th 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Leverton
writes

The first picture I can lay my hands on is at
http://www.nettrams.net/PictureGalle...s/WSBUP09F.htm
which suggests the yellow box and zig zags extend across the tramline
outside the barriers, as well as the NR line inside. So cars must not
stop there - especially since there is as you say no room !

With both tracks on the picture having identical platforms and overhead
wiring I'd suggest this is the wrong picture and is double tram track,
certainly the insulators aren't big enough for 25Kv.
--
Clive.
Old December 16th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
The mind boggles!
--
"Mrs Redboots"

Would you be a fan of the "Perishers" ?
--
Clive.

Old December 16th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive Coleman wrote:
In message , Nick Leverton
writes

The first picture I can lay my hands on is at
http://www.nettrams.net/PictureGalle...s/WSBUP09F.htm
which suggests the yellow box and zig zags extend across the tramline
outside the barriers, as well as the NR line inside. So cars must not
stop there - especially since there is as you say no room !

With both tracks on the picture having identical platforms and overhead
wiring I'd suggest this is the wrong picture and is double tram track,
certainly the insulators aren't big enough for 25Kv.

Not sure what's wrong about it but you're correct about the tram line,
and to the right of it is the double track non-electrified Robin Hood line
(the nearside barriers can be seen).

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself
Old December 16th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
The mind boggles!
--
"Mrs Redboots"

Would you be a fan of the "Perishers" ?

Not especially.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 17th 04, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:41:47 on Tue,
14 Dec 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
In Nottingham a road crosses an adjacent railway and tramline. I think that
both lines are single track, being a former double track railway, but I
might be wrong there.

Both are double track. The tramline has been newly built to the west.

There are barriers around the railway but the tramway
is ungated - this is because the tramline is too frequent to have a gated
crossing.

The trams don't have barriers at any road "crossing", that's the way
trams are.
Old December 17th 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 17:41:47 on Tue,
14 Dec 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
In Nottingham a road crosses an adjacent railway
and tramline. I think that both lines are single track,
being a former double track railway, but I might be
wrong there.

Both are double track.
The tramline has been newly built to the west.

Thanks.

There are barriers around the railway but the tramway
is ungated - this is because the tramline is too frequent
to have a gated crossing.

The trams don't have barriers at any road
"crossing", that's the way trams are.

It was originally proposed that the tramline would be inside the barriers.
This was scrapped because of the high frequency of the trams.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 17th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland
Perry writes

http://www.nettrams.net/PictureGalle...s/BUHUP04F.htm

--