Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR City Airport extension

"Robin May" wrote in message
Stephen worheedatworheeddotf9dotcodotuk wrote the following in:
newspslyf6xh3wn44ge@stephen

On this subject I've read that all the
stations on the Lewisham extension were built so they could
either handle or be easily extended to handle 3 car trains. I
can't see how at Cutty Sark. It's only big enough for 2 car
trains and as is it's a deep level tunnel it is going to be quite
difficult to extend isn't it?

Are you sure it's not big enough? Last time I was there I think I had a
look and I seem to remember thinking that it probably was big enough
for three car trains.

--
message by Robin May.

Is it the case that the accessible platform area is shorter than the actual
tunnelled length?

That was the technique used in some of the Tyne & Wear Metro tunnelled
stations, the decorative linings end about a car length from the true
platform end, presumably saves fitting out costs, and ensuring that
passengers don't wait where the train isn't going to stop, if you see what I
mean..

Paul