Old February 12th 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Imperial College (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

Richard J. wrote:

Quite right too.Â*Â*SomeÂ*ofÂ*usÂ*haveÂ*fondÂ*memoriesÂ*ofÂ*a *companyÂ*calledÂ*ICL,
1968-2002.

Didn't they bring out a computer based on the QL, called the "One born every
minute" or something?
--
Ian Tindale

Old February 12th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Robin May wrote:
Dave Newt wrote the following in:

snip

Blimey, that all sounds a bit complicated. I wonder if the LSE has such
rules, I'm certainly not aware of them.

Not sure, though I always wonder about the fact that the "...and
Political Science" is hardly ever mentioned, so there must be stuff in
their style guide.

To be honest, I suspect the dropping of ST&M was mainly to raise
the profile of the Business School who just spunked 25 mil up
Norman Foster on a new building.

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that is the
central spiral staircase in the LSE library.

Oh, I quite liked it, but then I was shown around it a few days before
it, and that was more for the purposes of "look at our new cool thing"
rather than actually trying to get any books.

He also designed the GLA
building which has a similar spiral staircase. Usually the purpose of a
staircase is for people to walk on it, but with the LSE one the main
purpose is so photos of it can be put in university publicity. I firmly
believe that the designer of these things has never tried to walk on
them.

Why is a spiral staircase so hard to walk up anyway? I don't remmeber
LSE's being particularly tricky?

(Though I do know from experience at York that having the main staircase
in the middle of the open building is utter crap for noise levels if you
are trying to work.)
Old February 12th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

The Imperial branding people specified that it must not be called
ICL

In my day UCCA called it Limp. :-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 12th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article , dated Fri, 11 Feb
2005 13:18:23, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Dave Newt newtonline@R
EMOVEgmail.THIScom posted :

In the rebranding, it was decided that the new name should be Imperial
College London and that the short version should be Imperial. Use of
.ic.ac.uk has been proscribed and the ICT Department had fun trying to
change all the domain servers to .imperial.ac.uk.

That seems very stupid.

Do I need to change .ic.ac.uk references on my Web site to
..imperial.ac.uk ?

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Old February 12th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
Dave Newt wrote the following
in:
To be honest, I suspect the dropping of ST&M was mainly to raise
the profile of the Business School who just spunked 25 mil up
Norman Foster on a new building.

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that is
the central spiral staircase in the LSE library.

Oh, I quite liked it, but then I was shown around it a few days
before it, and that was more for the purposes of "look at our new
cool thing" rather than actually trying to get any books.

It looks very nice...

He also designed the GLA
building which has a similar spiral staircase. Usually the
purpose of a staircase is for people to walk on it, but with the
LSE one the main purpose is so photos of it can be put in
university publicity. I firmly believe that the designer of these
things has never tried to walk on them.

Why is a spiral staircase so hard to walk up anyway? I don't
remmeber LSE's being particularly tricky?

The steps on the stairs are set at a distance which is about 1.5 times
that of a normal person's stride. This seems to be true for people of
all heights and leg lengths. No matter who you are there is no way you
can get into a comfortable stride for walking down the stairs, you
always have to do a funny lopsided walk and you have to adjust every
few steps. You end up walking normal step, normal step, short step,
long step, normal step etc. It seems alright at first, but after a
while it becomes incredibly annoying.

(Though I do know from experience at York that having the main
staircase in the middle of the open building is utter crap for
noise levels if you are trying to work.)

Surprisingly, that's not much of an issue. Bookshelves surround the
central staircase and the work areas are behind the bookshelves. The
books seem to do an impressive job of absorbing the noise and the
experience of walking from one end of the shelves to the other and
hearing the noise disappear is very interesting.

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old February 12th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
Dave Newt wrote the following in:

Why is a spiral staircase so hard to walk up anyway? I don't
remmeber LSE's being particularly tricky?

The steps on the stairs are set at a distance which is about 1.5 times
that of a normal person's stride. This seems to be true for people of
all heights and leg lengths. No matter who you are there is no way you
can get into a comfortable stride for walking down the stairs, you
always have to do a funny lopsided walk and you have to adjust every
few steps. You end up walking normal step, normal step, short step,
long step, normal step etc. It seems alright at first, but after a
while it becomes incredibly annoying.

Ah yes, though aren't the steps "wedge"-shaped? So you can find which
part of the step fits your stride. I'm thinking of the Tube spirals
where the outside is often too big a step, the inside too small, but the
middle is about right. (It's all getting a bit three bears' porridge
now, innit?)

(Though I do know from experience at York that having the main
staircase in the middle of the open building is utter crap for
noise levels if you are trying to work.)

Surprisingly, that's not much of an issue. Bookshelves surround the
central staircase and the work areas are behind the bookshelves. The
books seem to do an impressive job of absorbing the noise and the
experience of walking from one end of the shelves to the other and
hearing the noise disappear is very interesting.

Yes, I noticed that they had more or less managed to avoid that - it was
the first thing I wondered about when I walked in. (Once one of the
Directors had managed to persuade the staff to actually let me go in,
that is!)
Old February 12th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr John Stockton wrote:
JRS: In article , dated Fri, 11 Feb
2005 13:18:23, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Dave Newt newtonline@R
EMOVEgmail.THIScom posted :

In the rebranding, it was decided that the new name should be Imperial
College London and that the short version should be Imperial. Use of
.ic.ac.uk has been proscribed and the ICT Department had fun trying to
change all the domain servers to .imperial.ac.uk.

That seems very stupid.

Do I need to change .ic.ac.uk references on my Web site to
.imperial.ac.uk ?

Well, most of the base URLs SHOULD still work, or at least redirect, but
I would check any deep links you have, as most of the web servers have
been replaced too, and many URLs are now awful Oracle CMS-based long
unmemorable things. No guarantee that just changing .ic. to .imperial.
will work at all.

On the other hand, plenty of servers have not changed at all yet...

Suck it n see, I'm afraid!
Old February 12th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message ...
Thomas Crame wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
The "memorial", if you want one, is in daily use all over the
system. It's
know as "Moorgate Control".

It's actually called TETS Protection (Trains Entering Terminal
Stations).

Is that just within LU or in the wider railway operating world as well?

Pass. TETS is the official designation within LU and all the
Engineering Standards. It's a variation on TES (Trains Entering
Sidings) which pre-dated the Moorgate crash.
Old February 12th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:07:26 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:
James Farrar wrote:

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:20:14 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of
Southside, along the mews, right to the end where you cut through
the archway in the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to where the
Hans Place (?) side of Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton
Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured
route out, of course.

I'll see your Linstead and raise you Fisher.

I lived in Fisher for a summer. That was bad enough... although it was
mostly the person I was sharing the room with that was the problem!