Old February 13th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Imperial College (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Colin Rosenstiel
wrote:

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

The Imperial branding people specified that it must not be called
ICL

In my day UCCA called it Limp. :-)

*laughs*

I still dunno what I'm going to do when Southside shuts. They had Old Tom
on tap today.

Old February 13th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

James Farrar wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:07:26 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:20:14 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of
Southside, along the mews, right to the end where you cut
through the archway in the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to
where the Hans Place (?) side of Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton
Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured
route out, of course.

I'll see your Linstead and raise you Fisher.

I lived in Fisher for a summer. That was bad enough... although it was
mostly the person I was sharing the room with that was the problem!

At least you didn't get your bed above the door.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 13th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Tindale wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Quite right too. Some of us have fond memories of a company called
ICL, 1968-2002.

Didn't they bring out a computer based on the QL, called the "One
born every minute" or something?

The OPD (One Per Desk), vintage 1984.
Details at http://web.onetel.com/~rodritab/shed16.htm and other sites.
Screen shots at http://www.whimsy.demon.co.uk/opd/ .
My memories of the OPD are a bit sub-fond, though.

--
Richard J.
Old February 13th 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 13th 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

.ic.ac.uk
Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

Yes, and the Department of Computing is doc.ic.ac.uk, "Dock Ick Ack
Uck". DoC also once had a server called hock.doc.ic.ac.uk, hence "Hock
Dock Ick Ack Uck".

--
Ashley

Old February 13th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 13 Feb 2005:

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

.ic.ac.uk

Is that normally pronounced "Ick Ack Uck"?

According to my daughter, yes! She almost wished she'd gone there just
to have such a lovely e-mail address, and envied her friend, who had.
Of course, when her father was there, e-mail hadn't been invented!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 13th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Aidan Stanger) wrote the following in:

Where is the spiral staircase in the GLA building?

Pretty clearly visible in this pictu
http://www.go-london.gov.uk/greater_...ges/night1.jpg

--
message by Robin May.
Drinking Special Brew will get you drunk in much the same way that

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old February 13th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:

Dave Newt wrote the following in:

snip

Blimey, that all sounds a bit complicated. I wonder if the LSE has such
rules, I'm certainly not aware of them.

To be honest, I suspect the dropping of ST&M was mainly to raise
the profile of the Business School who just spunked 25 mil up
Norman Foster on a new building.

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that is the
central spiral staircase in the LSE library. He also designed the GLA
building which has a similar spiral staircase. Usually the purpose of a
staircase is for people to walk on it, but with the LSE one the main
purpose is so photos of it can be put in university publicity. I firmly
believe that the designer of these things has never tried to walk on
them.

Where is the spiral staircase in the GLA building?
Old February 13th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes
The steps on the stairs are set at a distance which is about 1.5 times
that of a normal person's stride. This seems to be true for people of
all heights and leg lengths.

A well-designed stairway has two verticals plus one horizontal adding to
61cm. That is, in:

------+ A
+-+ :
| :
| :
| C~~~~~~D :
+--------+ :
+-+ :
| :
| :
| :
+--------+ B
+-+

the vertical distance AB plus the horizontal distance CD should be 61cm.
This matches the leg articulation for the average adult.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 13th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of
Southside, along the mews, right to the end where you cut
through the archway in the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to
where the Hans Place (?) side of Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton
Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured
route out, of course.

I'll see your Linstead and raise you Fisher.

I lived in Fisher for a summer. That was bad enough... although it
was mostly the person I was sharing the room with that was the problem!

At least you didn't get your bed above the door.

It's true; but on occasion, I did get woken up by the other two people in
the room (in a single bed, of course!)