Old May 21st 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whay can't we do the same here?

On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:02:24 +0100, "Pingle"
wrote:

A one-day bus pass is £3.00. Not too bad, perhaps, but that's still £15.00 a
week if you use if every weekday.

But a bit stupid to do so, given that a one week Bus Pass is £11.00!

If I want to go from home to, say, the Strand, I can do it with one bus
trip. If I travel after 9:30, and use my Oyster prepay, it's 80p, so there
and back is £1.60. It doesn't take much working out to see that this is a
lot less than £3.00. If I did this every day for a week I would save £7.00.

Or only saying £3.00 compared to a bus Pass.

However, if I want to go to, say, Gower Street, that's two bus rides, total
cost £1.60. I often walk to save the mone, or use a bus which takes me
almost there but not quite. It's stupid that I have to do this. Ok, it's
only 80p, but twice a day, every day, it soon adds up.

Yes, to £5.00 more than buying a seven-day Bus Pass, and £1.00 more
than buying One-Day Passes.

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old May 22nd 05, 03:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Pingle wrote:
snip
However, if I want to go to, say, Gower Street, that's two bus rides,

total
cost £1.60. I often walk to save the mone, or use a bus which takes

me
almost there but not quite. It's stupid that I have to do this. Ok,

it's
only 80p, but twice a day, every day, it soon adds up.

Well campaign for the reintroduction of Routemasters then.. One of the
things remaining RMs are famous for is having conductors who rarely go
upstairs to sell tickets / read Oystercards (last time I was on a RM my
card wasn't read at all during the 45 min journey)

The unfortunate consequence of this is that those of us with season
tickets are subsidising other peoples travel...

Alightly related: What is happening when one/two people get on a
normal bus but the driver keeps tapping one of the keys on his ticket
box thing (keeps coming up on the display as travelcard and pipping)

Old May 22nd 05, 03:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Pingle wrote:
snip
However, if I want to go to, say, Gower Street, that's two bus rides,

total
cost £1.60. I often walk to save the mone, or use a bus which takes

me
almost there but not quite. It's stupid that I have to do this. Ok,

it's
only 80p, but twice a day, every day, it soon adds up.

Well campaign for the reintroduction of Routemasters then.. One of the
things remaining RMs are famous for is having conductors who rarely go
upstairs to sell tickets / read Oystercards (last time I was on a RM my
card wasn't read at all during the 45 min journey)

The unfortunate consequence of this is that those of us with season
tickets are subsidising other peoples travel...

Slightly related: What is happening when one/two people get on a

Old May 22nd 05, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 May 2005 20:23:24 -0700, "Chris!" wrote:

Alightly related: What is happening when one/two people get on a
normal bus but the driver keeps tapping one of the keys on his ticket
box thing (keeps coming up on the display as travelcard and pipping)

The driver is logging more Travelcard users than are actually
boarding, probably because he can't be bothered actually counting
them.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old May 23rd 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I can understand that TfL might be worried that people would pass their
"transfers" to friends or even sell them, although, for some reason, this
doesn't seem to worry bus operators in North America. But with my Oyster
card, this could be done automatically - no paper ticket, so nothing to pass
on to someone else, no risk of misuse. If they can do "daily capping" with
Oyster, they could do transfers. It seems that it's just tradition that
stops them.

Transfer functionality is apparently built into Oyster Prepay and used
with transfers to and from the Tramlink feeder buses and the trams.

Old May 24th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

As Dave Arquati recently pointed out, if you're buying a weekly or
longer Bus Pass, you may find it helpful to stump up a tiny bit more
(in the case of a weekly ticket it's just 20p) to get a single zone
Travelcard. Any weekly Travelcard for any zone except zone 1 will cost
you £11.20, as opposed to £11 for a weekly Bus Pass.

Regarding bus transfers, I reckon it's a possibility for the future,
especially as it could be implemented easily with the Oyster card
system. Indeed (as Matthew Dickenson pointed out), on Croydon Tramlink
a second journey is free if it's started within 70 minutes of the first
- which is a transfer in so many words. The problem is TfL would lose
money doing this, and their budget is pretty tight as it is.

But public transport is expensive in London relative to the rest of the
world. It can be fairly expensive all over the UK as well.

Old May 24th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 24 May 2005:

As Dave Arquati recently pointed out, if you're buying a weekly or
longer Bus Pass, you may find it helpful to stump up a tiny bit more
(in the case of a weekly ticket it's just 20p) to get a single zone
Travelcard. Any weekly Travelcard for any zone except zone 1 will cost
you £11.20, as opposed to £11 for a weekly Bus Pass.

Yes, but you can't use it to get anywhere decent. Like today I thought
of going over to Surrey Quays, and that involves a change at London
Bridge. I suppose I can use it on trains, though - Streatham to Peckham.
No, that wouldn't work - Streatham is in Zone 3. Everywhere useful
seems to be either in zone 3 or zone 1. I suppose Clapham High Street
to Denmark Hill to Lewisham.... but I don't want to do that very often.

But public transport is expensive in London relative to the rest of the
world. It can be fairly expensive all over the UK as well.

It's a lot cheaper in London than in some other places!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 24th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:

Yes, but you can't use it to get anywhere decent. Like today I

thought
of going over to Surrey Quays, and that involves a change at London
Bridge. I suppose I can use it on trains, though - Streatham to

Peckham.
No, that wouldn't work - Streatham is in Zone 3. Everywhere useful
seems to be either in zone 3 or zone 1. I suppose Clapham High

Street
to Denmark Hill to Lewisham.... but I don't want to do that very

often.

Hmm... Mrs C had a similar problem wanting to go from Gipsy Hill (Z3)
to Barnes (Z3) this weekend, which she couldn't do using her Zone 3
weekly travelcard (because it can't be done without a change at Clapham
Junction). There wasn't even an easy way of paying the extra
fare - huge queue at ticket office put us off buying a YP CDR from
boundary Z3 to Putney - so we ended up just buying a return to Putney
from the machine. Of course, if we had been on the tube, this wouldn't
have been a problem (since said Travelcard is on an Oyster). Gah.

Old May 24th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Mizter T wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 24 May 2005:

As Dave Arquati recently pointed out, if you're buying a weekly or
longer Bus Pass, you may find it helpful to stump up a tiny bit more
(in the case of a weekly ticket it's just 20p) to get a single zone
Travelcard. Any weekly Travelcard for any zone except zone 1 will cost
you £11.20, as opposed to £11 for a weekly Bus Pass.

Yes, but you can't use it to get anywhere decent. Like today I thought
of going over to Surrey Quays, and that involves a change at London
Bridge. I suppose I can use it on trains, though - Streatham to Peckham.
No, that wouldn't work - Streatham is in Zone 3. Everywhere useful
seems to be either in zone 3 or zone 1. I suppose Clapham High Street
to Denmark Hill to Lewisham.... but I don't want to do that very often.

It doesn't have to be useful just for within-zone journeys; for a Zone 2
Travelcard, you'll save 30p or 40p on every single Tube journey you make
to/from Zone 1, offsetting the extra 20p cost of the Travelcard compared
to the bus pass.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 24th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 24 May 2005:

It doesn't have to be useful just for within-zone journeys; for a Zone 2
Travelcard, you'll save 30p or 40p on every single Tube journey you
make to/from Zone 1, offsetting the extra 20p cost of the Travelcard
compared to the bus pass.

Oyster can cope with that, then?
--
"Mrs Redboots"