Old July 7th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2012 Olympics come to London

I don't buy that at all. Who ever took up sport (other than a brief trip
or
two to the gym) as a result of watching the World Cup/Olympics/Wimbledon?

quote
But Coe saved his finest masterstroke for the closing moments of the
campaign when he delivered a very personal speech to IOC delegates during
London's final presentation in Singapore.

"When I was 12 years old I was marched into a large school hall with my
classmates and we watched grainy pictures from the 1968 Mexico Olympic
Games," he told the delegates.

"Two athletes from our home town were competing. John Sherwood won a bronze
medal in the 400m hurdles. His wife Sheila just narrowly missed gold in the
long jump.

"By the time I was back in my classroom, I knew what I wanted to do - and
what I wanted to be. Thirty-five years on, I stand before you with those
memories still fresh. Still inspired by this great movement."

/quote

--

Peter

Old July 7th 05, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Can't wait. Hope all the extra tax I'll pay for this pointless waste
of money will mean the athletes and the locals in stratford have a
whale
of a time.

The IOC are now voting on which sports should be represented at the London
games.

I suggest a vote for whinging.

We would win gold at that easily.

Peter

Old July 7th 05, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 6 Jul 2005:

Can't wait. Hope all the extra tax I'll pay for this pointless waste
of money will mean the athletes and the locals in stratford have a
whale
of a time.

Improved transport links, new sports facilities, new housing - all a
waste of money? To say nothing of overall health improved as more
people take up sport? Anyway, I should think an awful lot of it will be
paid by Coca-Cola & similar sponsors - "they" say it won't be more than
a few pence per inhabitant overall.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"

And we all believe "them" don't we!
Dave G

Old July 7th 05, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Mrs Redboots ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

To say nothing of overall health improved as more people take up sport?

I don't buy that at all. Who ever took up sport (other than a brief trip

or
two to the gym) as a result of watching the World Cup/Olympics/Wimbledon?

Why will the fact it's London rather than Paris make a difference in that
respect?

Anyway, I should think an awful lot of it will be paid by Coca-Cola &
similar sponsors

The billion and a half *running* costs, yes.
The two billion building costs, no. That's being added on to London

council
tax for the next decade (as well as other sources).

- "they" say it won't be more than a few pence per inhabitant
overall.....

They do not. They reckon £20 per household (based on an exceptionally low
band, higher for higher bands) per year. Oh, and if the costs over-run

(if?
IF?), it's coming out of general taxation.

That's all before the diversion of at least TWO THIRDS of lottery money
between now and 2012, of course. Your favourite charity got a lottery bid
in at the mo? Sorry, it's just been rejected.

All so we can have another seven years of the kind of chaos Wembley's
redevelopment is causing, with the end result being another Millenium

Doom.

The good side is that Tony hasn't got a cat in hell's come the next
election. Ooops. He's already said he's not standing again. Hiho. We'll
have to take it out on Ken instead. Ooops. He's already said he's not
standing again.

Seems I got out of London at the right time. I'm also getting out of this
country in about 4 years time - my timing seems to be just about perfect!
Dave G

Old July 7th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Matt
Ashby writes

Paul Terry said:

London is full

No London is not. I'm sure you've seen the figures that show that even
during the summer Olympics fewer people will be using public transport
per day than during the average winter weekday.

I was referring to accommodation rather than transport. I've read the
Costs and Benefits Analysis done by Arup. In section 5.4 they say ...

taking into account the typically lower number of London
tourists in August, the displacement of normal hotel visitors to
London will not exceed 60%.

So, yes, of course everyone can be accommodated - but at the expense of
a large slice of London's normal tourist trade for that period.

--
Paul Terry

Old July 7th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Goodland ) gurgled happily,
[...]

1. I bet he wasn't the fat kid in the corner who always "forgot" his PE kit
before that.
2. That was Mexico. Mexico's a long way away. So is there a big difference
if it's London?
Old July 7th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06 Jul 2005 18:09:06 GMT, Adrian wrote:

That's all before the diversion of at least TWO THIRDS of lottery money
between now and 2012, of course.

Source?

My understanding is that there'll be a special Olympic Lottery. You're
welcome not to participate.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 7th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

My understanding is that there'll be a special Olympic Lottery. You're
welcome not to participate.

I will participate in the Olympic Lottery as fully as I currrently
participate in the National Lottery.
Old July 7th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes

My understanding is that there'll be a special Olympic Lottery.

There will be additional lottery games. It is predicted that these will
divert income from the main lottery - i.e. many people will choose to
enter for an Olympic game rather than their regular one. The Department
for Culture, Media and Sport say ...

Camelot's estimates, as reviewed by the National Lottery Commission, are
that around 60% of the monies raised from the Olympic Lottery games
might come from sales diversions from existing games. This could lead to
an overall reduction in income to the existing good causes of just over
5% over the seven-year period of the games.

They also indicate that "a further £340 million would come from
expenditure by the established Lottery sport distributors" (mostly Sport
England) - i.e instead of spending money on sport at a local level, the
distributors will be directed to spend their money on the Olympics.

Furthermore, the department darkly mutters that yet more money may have
to be raised by reducing the total percentage of lottery income passed
to "good causes" - this percentage can be changed after 2009, it
appears.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 7th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter
Goodland writes

I don't buy that at all. Who ever took up sport (other than a brief
trip or two to the gym) as a result of watching the World
Cup/Olympics/Wimbledon?

quote
"When I was 12 years old I was marched into a large school hall with my
classmates and we watched grainy pictures from the 1968 Mexico Olympic
Games," he told the delegates.

(snip)

Seb Coe is the son of a cyclist and grandson of a sprinter. As a member
of the Hallamshire Harriers, he was already competing in serious racing
at the age of 12, and being coached as a sportsman by his father - in
other words, he didn't take up sport after watching the Mexico Olympics!

If you want to get kids started in sport, sitting them in front of the
telly is not the way to do it.

--
Paul Terry