Old July 12th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default bombers use Luton

according to recent reports it seems the bombers gathered at Luton Railway
station on the morning of the blasts and boarded a train.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Thameslink was suffering delays as
early as 6am that morning due to power line damage in the Mill Hill Broadway
area.

Did anyone experience such problem with the Thameslink line before the
bombing raid took place?

Dare I add a conspiracy theory that a anti-terrorist agency were in the hunt
of some activity and decided to 'create' delays along the Thameslink line in
the early hours of Thursday morning but failed?

Old July 12th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

dave F wrote:
according to recent reports it seems the bombers gathered at Luton Railway
station on the morning of the blasts and boarded a train.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Thameslink was suffering delays as
early as 6am that morning due to power line damage in the Mill Hill Broadway
area.

Did anyone experience such problem with the Thameslink line before the
bombing raid took place?

Dare I add a conspiracy theory that a anti-terrorist agency were in the hunt
of some activity and decided to 'create' delays along the Thameslink line in
the early hours of Thursday morning but failed?

Not an answer to your question but I wonder why suicide bombers would
leave a car (or possibly two according to reports) full of explosives at
in a car park at Luton station.
--
Kat

Old July 12th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

dave F wrote:

Did anyone experience such problem with the Thameslink line before the
bombing raid took place?

Yes. Caught the 07.04 from Luton that day. It crawled down the slow
line. The overhead wires were hanging loose over the fast line near
the RAF museum. That train usually arrives into KXTL at about 7.40.
It was more like 7.55 on Thursday.

As seperate point. Can anyone explain Thameslink's thinking this
afternoon and evening. I don't mean as to which stations were closed,
I understand that. What I mean is that it seemed as if they were only
pushing trains up the slow line, with 10 or 15 minute waits at
stations. (It took about 2 hours to get from Moorgate to St Albans).
This made for a hot and uncomfortable time for all. Is there some
reason, i.e. points or something, that they couldn't use the fast line
as well? Are they unable to reverse the trains?

Yrs in ignorance.

Old July 13th 05, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Kat
writes

Not an answer to your question but I wonder why suicide bombers would
leave a car (or possibly two according to reports) full of explosives
at in a car park at Luton station.

The most likely explanation would be that they expected more than four
bombers, but the others failed to show.

--
Paul Terry

Old July 13th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

As seperate point. Can anyone explain Thameslink's thinking this
afternoon and evening. I don't mean as to which stations were closed,
I understand that. What I mean is that it seemed as if they were only
pushing trains up the slow line, with 10 or 15 minute waits at
stations. (It took about 2 hours to get from Moorgate to St Albans).
This made for a hot and uncomfortable time for all. Is there some
reason, i.e. points or something, that they couldn't use the fast line
as well? Are they unable to reverse the trains?

I don't know the track layout, but maybe they can only turn
them round at St A if they're on the slow line.

When we eventually reached St A just after 8pm last night,
another northbound train arrived on the fast line, and they
said that it was going as far as Harpenden.

Our snail's pace journey wasn't helped by a woman who
dropped her handbag onto the track at West Hampstead.
After a long wait there, the driver was paging her by name
over the PA - "if Mrs X Y is here, the driver has your handbag".

Bad enough to drop your handbag, dear, but to leave the
scene as well, on a day like yesterday....!!
--
Garry Smith

Old July 13th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:52:55 +0100, Garry Smith wrote:

Our snail's pace journey wasn't helped by a woman who
dropped her handbag onto the track at West Hampstead.
After a long wait there, the driver was paging her by name
over the PA - "if Mrs X Y is here, the driver has your handbag".

Bad enough to drop your handbag, dear, but to leave the
scene as well, on a day like yesterday....!!

Or perhaps it was stolen from her and dumped by the thief. Is there a
suitable road overbridge at the scene?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767193.html
(318 252 at Glasgow Central in 1991)
Old July 13th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:52:55 +0100, Garry Smith wrote:

Our snail's pace journey wasn't helped by a woman who
dropped her handbag onto the track at West Hampstead.
After a long wait there, the driver was paging her by name
over the PA - "if Mrs X Y is here, the driver has your handbag".

Bad enough to drop your handbag, dear, but to leave the
scene as well, on a day like yesterday....!!

Or perhaps it was stolen from her and dumped by the thief. Is there a
suitable road overbridge at the scene?

Fair point, and a reasonable suggestion given what I'd
said.

Road bridge just south of the station - something dropped
from there wouldn't be down the side of the train.

Footbridge at south end of station - not sure if part of
stopped train would be underneath it.

But what I didn't say was that the driver's first announcement
was "To the lady who's dropped her handbag - I have it".
Suggests that they knew it had been dropped, not stolen.
--
Garry Smith