Old July 15th 03, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "London Rail"

Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as a
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 15th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:31:14 +0100, "Dave Arquati"
wrote:

Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as a
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

You're not alone in wondering....

Rob.
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 15th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati writes
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as a
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

It's a powerful brand image. The LT roundel is one of the
most-recognised logos in the world - up there with McDonalds and
Coca-Cola.

However, the latest 're-design' that it's gone through just seems...
well 'wrong' to me. It just doesn't look right.

The symbol used for buses was very much like the picture at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/images/request.gif (but without the bit at the
bottom). The words London Transport Buses would appear alongside it.

Now the new design
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/templates/buse...eader-logo.gif with
'buses' written on the roundel itself just makes it look
out-of-proportion to my eyes.

--
Dave
Old July 15th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave Arquati writes
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely

everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as

roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

It's a powerful brand image. The LT roundel is one of the
most-recognised logos in the world - up there with McDonalds and
Coca-Cola.

Oh of course. But Coca-Cola don't slap their logo on front of all of the
other products that they make... :-)

However, the latest 're-design' that it's gone through just seems...
well 'wrong' to me. It just doesn't look right.

The symbol used for buses was very much like the picture at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/images/request.gif (but without the bit at the
bottom). The words London Transport Buses would appear alongside it.

Now the new design
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/templates/buse...eader-logo.gif with
'buses' written on the roundel itself just makes it look
out-of-proportion to my eyes.

Too much of a good thing.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 15th 03, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely

everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as

roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Makes absolute sense to me. It clearly links all the different parts of the
TfL empire together, making it obvious what TfL controls. The roundel is
already synominous with transport in London, and is too strong a brand to
ditch.

Incidently, the corporate logo guidelines can be found he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/about/corp...os-index.shtml

I'm expecting the brown and blue Rail logo as seen he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/
to start appearing on the pilot South London Metro stations in time for the
launch this autumn. (I suspect that the big blank white panels on the new
Twickenham station sign, for example, will permit the logo to be added
underneath the National Rail logo).

Colin

Old July 16th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

Dave Arquati wrote:
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not* as a
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach station...
etc.

I could stand the DLR having the roundel, except the DLR roundel comes
in a particularly vile shade. If they'd kept the same colour as the old
DLR logo it would have looked much better, but it's just a bit too pale
and yuck.

Luke

Old July 17th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Luke Ross" wrote in message
Hi,

Dave Arquati wrote:
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely

everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not*

as a
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach

station...
etc.

I could stand the DLR having the roundel, except the DLR roundel comes
in a particularly vile shade. If they'd kept the same colour as the old
DLR logo it would have looked much better, but it's just a bit too pale
and yuck.

Luke

I'm not quite sure why but I just have a big preference for the original DLR
logo. It looks a lot smarter and more suited to the DLR than the roundel
(IMHO).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 18th 03, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Has anyone seen: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/

On a minor note, do we *have* to use the roundel for absolutely

everything?
(including Dial-a-Ride!) I could cope with tube, buses and trams... even
river services... but I thought the DLR logo looked much smarter *not*

as
roundel, and as for Street Management, the PCO, Victoria Coach

station...
etc.

The roundel was adopted by London Transport as their corporate logo, and

it
seems to me entirely sensible that it should be used in a similar way by
Transport for London. It is certainly preferable to the use of a

different
logo for TfL.

Since the residents of London elect the Mayor directly, and the Mayor
controls TfL, it's important that people should understand the scope of
TfL's responsibilities. The use of a common logo is a good way of

achieving
this. The use of New Johnston as TfL's standard typeface has a similar
purpose.
--
Richard J.

Thinking of TfL and its logo(s), can anyone explain why it often displays
itself as "Transport for Lond" - with the final "on" faded into the
background? I could perhaps understand if the "ON" was stressed by some
form of highlighting but as far as I can see it is always minimised.
Perhaps the answer is that the real agenda of Ken & Co. is not to get LondON
but to make it LondOFF
--
IanB

swap my names around to reply to me
n.b. as I subscribe to two large newdsgroups it may be several days before I
see a newsgroup response

Old July 18th 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

IanB writes
Thinking of TfL and its logo(s), can anyone explain why it often
displays itself as "Transport for Lond" - with the final "on" faded
into the background?

Have a look at http://www.london.gov.uk

Or specifically;
http://www.london.gov.uk/images/home...up_square2.gif