Old September 29th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo & City Line to Close for 5 Months

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message
. ..
From April 2006...
http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?story=276

Great, they're going to open an interchange at Blackfriars, and connect it
to the main line at Vauxhall and Moorgate!!!!111one11improvement1112

Oh, wait, no they're not, are they?

BTN

Old September 29th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:52:53 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Do not 'mind the gap' anymore, perhaps?

I don't think the platforms on the W&C are curved and gappy anyway. I
suspect they mean level access ...

So it's an up-and-down gap then :-)
Old September 29th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 wrote:

said:

. improved platform train interface

What on earth does this mean in plain English?

Passengers. They're all going to be replaced.

tom

--
information distribution, vox humana, deviation, handle, feed, l.g. **
Old September 29th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

snip

or where the 2 min journey time decrease is less relevant.

It's very relevant on a line with only five trains, because you can run
more journeys with the existing stock. How are they going to achieve 2
minutes compared with the current 4?

snip
--
Richard J.

From my understanding its not a exact decrease in journey time obviously you
can't cut an approximately 4-5min journey by 2min. What it is talking about
is journey time capability (JTC) which is a theoretical number which comes
out the end of a stats formula based on the it takes to get between two
places and takes into account things like door opening and closing times and
real journey time.
Andrew

Old September 29th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andy wrote:
snip

or where the 2 min journey time decrease is less relevant.

It's very relevant on a line with only five trains, because you
can run more journeys with the existing stock. How are they going
to achieve 2 minutes compared with the current 4?

snip
--
Richard J.

From my understanding its not a exact decrease in journey time
obviously you can't cut an approximately 4-5min journey by 2min.
What it is talking about is journey time capability (JTC) which is
a theoretical number which comes out the end of a stats formula
based on the it takes to get between two places and takes into
account things like door opening and closing times and real journey
time.
Andrew

I've read that three times and still don't understand it. If JTC takes
into account real journey times plus door opening and closing times, it
sounds realistic to me, rather than theoretical. Where do statistics
come into this? And my question remains unanswered: how are they going
to achieve 2 minutes instead of 4?
--
Richard J.

Old September 29th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:51:32 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 wrote:

said:

. improved platform train interface

What on earth does this mean in plain English?

Passengers. They're all going to be replaced.

They were replaced by customers years ago...

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 30th 05, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:14:55 on Wed,
28 Sep 2005, John Rowland
remarked:
The trains are so little used in comparison to
other lines they hardly need livery change

Maybe they will be part of the Central Line fleet for 5 months, and this is
the real reason they are receiving new livery.

How will they teleport them between the two lines?
Old September 30th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:14:55 on
Wed, 28 Sep 2005, John Rowland
remarked:
The trains are so little used in comparison to
other lines they hardly need livery change

Maybe they will be part of the Central Line fleet for 5 months, and
this is the real reason they are receiving new livery.

How will they teleport them between the two lines?

Perhaps with a smidgin of enterprise?

Old September 30th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
07:41:09 on Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Brimstone
remarked:
How will they teleport them between the two lines?

Perhaps with a smidgin of enterprise?

Craning them out one car at a time, then transporting them by road to
wherever the nearest Central line depot is; then doing the reverse five
months later really doesn't seem worth while. Especially given that the
specification and modification level of the cars on the two lines has
diverged over the years - so they probably wouldn't work anyway.
Old September 30th 05, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
07:41:09 on Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Brimstone
remarked:
How will they teleport them between the two lines?

Perhaps with a smidgin of enterprise?

Craning them out one car at a time, then transporting them by road to
wherever the nearest Central line depot is; then doing the reverse
five months later really doesn't seem worth while. Especially given
that the specification and modification level of the cars on the two
lines has diverged over the years - so they probably wouldn't work
anyway.

Perhaps if I had written it as "Enterprise" it might have got a better
response?