Old October 18th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default False name & address on Oyster - any problems?

I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?
Old October 18th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

Sam

Old October 18th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

You just pay for the card. Only thing for giving them your name & address is
that you can reclaim any lost credit if lost.

Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over the
place recording your every move.

Old October 18th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

You just pay for the card. Only thing for giving them your name &
address is that you can reclaim any lost credit if lost.

Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over
the place recording your every move.

True but not quite the same. How much easier it would be to trace a
Londoner in his movements on public transport via a ticket machine and
his Oyster card use than have to pick him out from millions of reels of
video.

Old October 19th 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:16:56 +0200, "John of Aix"
wrote:

elyob wrote:
Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over
the place recording your every move.

True but not quite the same. How much easier it would be to trace a
Londoner in his movements on public transport via a ticket machine and
his Oyster card use than have to pick him out from millions of reels of
video.

You don't have to pick him out for millions of reels of video, you
have to pick him out of one, then you can know his oyster ID even if
it's not registered...

Jim.

Old October 19th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

wrote:

elyob wrote:
Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over
the place recording your every move.

True but not quite the same. How much easier it would be to trace a
Londoner in his movements on public transport via a ticket machine
and his Oyster card use than have to pick him out from millions of
reels of video.

You don't have to pick him out for millions of reels of video, you
have to pick him out of one, then you can know his oyster ID even if
it's not registered...

Yes but it isn't a question of getting his card number, we're assuming
the've got that. I am saying that despite the zillions of cameras it
would be far easier to find his general movements through his Oyster
card use than trawling through reels of tapes to find where and when he
appears.

Old October 18th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

Why bother give them a name and address? If it's pre-pay, you don't need to.

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

I've had refunds credited to the oyster card (or actually, an unresolved
journey cancelled)

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?

Pass. I haven't given them my address, so I wouldn't know.

However, if you are worried about being tracked, and if you ever charge
your oyster card with a credit/debit card, there's a transaction there
with your name and credit card number on it. In the event of fraud, they
_will_ track you down.

--
Simon Hewison
Old October 18th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:51:22 +0100, Simon Hewison
wrote:

I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

Why bother give them a name and address? If it's pre-pay, you don't need to.

Presumably he's purchasing a Travelcard season.
Old October 19th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Jon D" wrote in message
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?

Really depends on what kind of Oyster you have.
If you have a prepay or a weekly travelcard then you don't have to give them
your name and address anyway.
Unresolved journeys or refunds can be re-credited to your Oystercard instead
of a cheque.
And they are transferable as prepay is the same as cash really. And a paper
weekly travelcard became transferable
when they took away the photocard requirement.

For monthly and annual Travelcards then you still have to register and give
details of name and address.
Unresolved journeys and refunds should still be re-credited to your Oyster
but they can also send you a cheque.
You've got to give them your photocard number so they have a nice mug shot
of you somewhere.

As for the Oystercard data and access to it. Then I guess its protected by
the data protection act.
But of course if you do something illegal then i'm sure the authorities can
access the data.
Much like the tracking device (aka mobile phone) you have in your pocket.
Do you have a prepay phone for the same reasons?

A.

Old October 19th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Unresolved journeys or refunds can be re-credited to your Oystercard instead
of a cheque.

This is not always the case - for refunds organised via helpdesk you have to be
able to specify a station you will pass through in the next 7 days otherwise its cheque
only.

You've got to give them your photocard number so they have a nice mug shot
of you somewhere.

Photocards are no longer required for full rate Oyster Cards. Those customers that
need a photo (student/under16) the Oyster Card has your picture printed on it.