Old April 2nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo & City Line Car Lift Operation

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:21:55 +0100, Chris Coulson
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:10:24 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

Waterloo Millenium Gardens provides a brilliant ringside seat

Absolutely. Makes a pleasant change when a major bit of engineering
work like this takes place in a location with such good public viewing
access.

Thanks for sharing your photos, if anyone craves even more (including
some close-ups of the carriage undersides as they were craned
overhead), I've put the good ones from my collection online as well at
http://tornado.pair.com/drain_cleaning/index.html

Regards
Chris

Thanks for your pics too.

Amazing how dirty the car ends are. I guess the train wash does not
manage to reach in to the gap between cars, assuming there is even a
train wash down there. But you'd think they would do these bits by
hand every couple of months!

Old April 3rd 06, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Frimberly
writes

I'm not totally sure where the lift connected to, but I gather it was
to the main line

Yes - more precisely, it was to the carriage sidings just north of the
Windsor lines, roughly where the taxi road to the Eurostar terminal is
now. There was originally also a second, smaller lift to take coal
wagons down to the W&C power station.

and the Bakerloo line,

No, as John wrote, there was never a Bakerloo connection. The W&C runs
below and just beyond the gate line at Waterloo, with the depot at the
east end of Lower Marsh. Then comes the Northern, further west, roughly
mid-way along most platforms. The Bakerloo is further west still, pretty
much at the country end of platforms 1-3 and so at the far easterly end
of Lower Marsh. (It then follows Westminster Bridge Road to cross the
Northern at Lambeth North.)

--
Paul Terry
Old April 3rd 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul Terry wrote:
[...]

Although, for interest, you can see Bakerloo trains popping into the
open nearby at the corner of St Georges Road and Lambeth Road (the
"London Road" depot). If you can stand on something to see over the
wall.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
They estimate nearly 14000 crane
lifts during the project (8000 coming out, nearly 6000 going in).

I hope most of these will be by the small fixed crane over the shaft,
and not a road crane.

I've only once seen that crane used; to lift out the bars with wheels
fixed to the ends which guided the new cars down the shaft. I see the
same things were fixed to the ends of the cars as they were lifted out.
I assume that it is used from time to time for lifting smallish items
into/out of the depot.

Where is the entrance for staff; other than going in by train?

Old April 5th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Frimberly wrote:
Thanks for sharing your photos, if anyone craves even more (including
some close-ups of the carriage undersides as they were craned
overhead), I've put the good ones from my collection online as well at
http://tornado.pair.com/drain_cleaning/index.html

What surprises me is that the cars are still powered up enough to
display "Bank" on the destination screens while going through this
procedure. Do these trains not have a full "off" switch?

--
Simon Hewison
Old April 5th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Simon Hewison" wrote in message
Peter Frimberly wrote:
Thanks for sharing your photos, if anyone craves even more (including
some close-ups of the carriage undersides as they were craned
overhead), I've put the good ones from my collection online as well at
http://tornado.pair.com/drain_cleaning/index.html

What surprises me is that the cars are still powered up enough to display
"Bank" on the destination screens while going through this procedure. Do
these trains not have a full "off" switch?

No power needed - due to the rather limited range of destinations it is just
a sticker.

Peter Smyth

Old April 6th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Smyth
writes
What surprises me is that the cars are still powered up enough to display
"Bank" on the destination screens while going through this procedure. Do
these trains not have a full "off" switch?

No power needed - due to the rather limited range of destinations it is just
a sticker.

Let's hope they remember to put them back facing the same direction or
else the driver may get confused.

--
Bob Adams - email: bob55 at ntlworld dot com
Old April 6th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Presumably that's why there is a large "B" or "W" sticker on each end
of each carriage!

Marc.