Old April 20th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Suitcase and backpack?

There is an excellent map of the Underground available online. I can
change to the District line at Acton Town, Hammersmith, Baron's Court,
or Earl's Court. I have to be sure to get on a train bound for Edgware
Road.

There is cross platform interchange between District and Piccadilly Lines at
Hammersmith and Barons Court, after which the Piccadilly dives underground,
which makes those stations particularly convenient for changing between the
lines without use of stairs, lifts or escalators. However the District Line
services towards Edgware Road operate from Wimbledon via Earls Court so
you'd have to change again at Earls Court (it would be either the same
platform or cross platform). You'd have to weigh up the additional change
against having to come up the escalators and stairs from the Piccadilly
Line.

Then I change again at Notting Hill gate to the Central line, and
get off at Queensway, which is closest to the Byron on Queensborough
Terrace. Or, if I'm feeling adventurous, I could just take the Piccadilly
line all the way to Holborn, then back west to Queensway.

I defer to those who know the stations and the area, but you might want to
consider Bayswater as an option (also on the line to Edgware Road) as I
believe they are only a couple of hundred yards apart. Though Queensway may
possibly be more convenient for the hotel once you are above ground you
might find that is largely cancelled out by the distance to walk between the
District and Central Line at Notting Hill Gate.

G.

Old April 20th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:11:06 GMT, "Graham J" wrote:

|There is cross platform interchange between District and Piccadilly Lines at
|Hammersmith and Barons Court, after which the Piccadilly dives underground,
|which makes those stations particularly convenient for changing between the
|lines without use of stairs, lifts or escalators. However the District Line
|services towards Edgware Road operate from Wimbledon via Earls Court so
|you'd have to change again at Earls Court (it would be either the same
|platform or cross platform). You'd have to weigh up the additional change
|against having to come up the escalators and stairs from the Piccadilly
|Line.
|I defer to those who know the stations and the area, but you might want to
|consider Bayswater as an option (also on the line to Edgware Road) as I
|believe they are only a couple of hundred yards apart. Though Queensway may
|possibly be more convenient for the hotel once you are above ground you
|might find that is largely cancelled out by the distance to walk between the
|District and Central Line at Notting Hill Gate.

Wow, what a great newsgroup! Accurate, pertinent, and quick responses with
no flames! Bayswater might be even closer to the Byron, if there is a way I
can cut across to Queensborough Terrace without walking a block North or
South. If not, I will just have to struggle to survive somehow. Many thanks
for all your help!
Old April 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I defer to those who know the stations and the area, but you might
want to consider Bayswater as an option (also on the line to
Edgware Road) as I believe they are only a couple of hundred yards
apart. Though Queensway may possibly be more convenient for the
hotel once you are above ground you might find that is largely
cancelled out by the distance to walk between the District and
Central Line at Notting Hill Gate.

Wow, what a great newsgroup! Accurate, pertinent, and quick
Byron, if there is a way I can cut across to Queensborough Terrace
without walking a block North or South. If not, I will just have to
struggle to survive somehow. Many thanks for all your help!

I don't think there is any shortcut to Queensborough Terrace without, as
you say, going a block north or south. Queensway station is closed at
the moment for refurbishment. It's due to open in May (no date
announced yet), so it should be open again by August. But station
refurbishment is notoriously bad at being finished on time! Nearer your
visit, you can check the current state of station closures towards the
bottom of this page: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/realtime/planned.asp .

--
Richard J.

Old April 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

|There is cross platform interchange between District and Piccadilly Lines
at
|Hammersmith and Barons Court, after which the Piccadilly dives
underground,
|which makes those stations particularly convenient for changing between
the
|lines without use of stairs, lifts or escalators. However the District
Line
|services towards Edgware Road operate from Wimbledon via Earls Court so
|you'd have to change again at Earls Court (it would be either the same
|platform or cross platform). You'd have to weigh up the additional
change
|against having to come up the escalators and stairs from the Piccadilly
|Line.
|I defer to those who know the stations and the area, but you might want
|consider Bayswater as an option (also on the line to Edgware Road) as I
|believe they are only a couple of hundred yards apart. Though Queensway
may
|possibly be more convenient for the hotel once you are above ground you
|might find that is largely cancelled out by the distance to walk between
the
|District and Central Line at Notting Hill Gate.

Wow, what a great newsgroup! Accurate, pertinent, and quick responses with
no flames! Bayswater might be even closer to the Byron, if there is a way
can cut across to Queensborough Terrace without walking a block North or
South. If not, I will just have to struggle to survive somehow. Many
thanks
for all your help!

Whilst I don't disagree with the advice given so far, you are travelling at
night close to the times of the last trains, so you may be better off just
getting the Piccadilly Line in to central London, getting off at say Green
Park and getting a short taxi ride from there to your hotel. The last train
times are available at the www.tfl.gov.uk website.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old April 20th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message , David J Bush
writes

There is an excellent map of the Underground available online. I can
change to the District line at Acton Town, Hammersmith, Baron's
Court, or Earl's Court. I have to be sure to get on a train bound for
Edgware Road.

The only place to change directly to an Edgware Road service is Earls
Court, which involves an escalator (or possibly a lift/elevator).

With luggage you may find it easier to change to the District at
Hammersmith or Barons Court - these are both very simple
cross-platform interchanges. You would then need to change again at
Earls Court, but that is another simple cross-platform interchange
between the District line services.

Then I change again at Notting Hill gate to the Central line, and
get off at Queensway, which is closest to the Byron on Queensborough
Terrace.

You could avoid that by getting off the Edgware Road service at
Bayswater and walking from there - although it doesn't look like it
on the tube diagram, it is actually only about 200 yards from
Queensway:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...z=1&sv=queensb
orough+terrace&st=6&tl=Queensborough+Terrace,+Lond on,+W_2&searchp=news
earch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Bear in mind that you are arriving late - if there is any delay
collecting baggage and you don't get to Edgware Road before midnight,
you are likely to miss the last Edgware Road service. If there is a
danger of that happening, you would probably do best to stay on the
Piccadilly line to either Knightsbridge or Hyde Park Corner and then
get a short taxi ride direct to the hotel.

If there's any real danger of being that late, wouldn't it be better and
possibly no more expensive, to go to Paddington by Heathrow Express? You
could take a shorter taxi ride to the hotel or even walk.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 21st 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Bennetts wrote:

Whilst I don't disagree with the advice given so far, you are
travelling at night close to the times of the last trains, so you
may be better off just getting the Piccadilly Line in to central
London, getting off at say Green Park and getting a short taxi ride
from there to your hotel.

That's a very good point. The last trains for the various journey
options appear to be as follows (times are approximate):

To Queensway: 23:16 from Heathrow, change at Hammersmith, Earl's Court,
Notting Hill Gate, arrive Queensway 00:23. (Or via Holborn, 23:31 from
Heathrow, arrive Queensway 00:39)

To Bayswater: 23:40 from Heathrow, change either (a) at Hammersmith,
Earl's Court, High Street Kensington, all on the level, or (b) at
Gloucester Road to the Circle Line, via stairs and lift. Arrival by
Circle Line at Bayswater 00:33.

To Hammersmith (for taxi to Bayswater): 00:04 from Heathrow, arr.
Hammersmith 00:34

The last Heathrow Express to Paddington departs at 23:47.
--
Richard J.

Old April 21st 06, 06:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:43:19 -0400, David J Bush
wrote:

An Oyster card sounds like an excellent idea. But I already bought a
"London Pass" which provides free use throughout zones 1-6 plus access
to a bunch of touristy stuff. I'll probably have to scramble around like
a madman to get my money's worth on that.

You will - if the London pass costs £110 with a zone 1-6 travelcard
for a week, that's £70 for attractions so you need to be sure of
paying at least £10/day for attractions that are covered by the pass.
Note that it includes the Tate and the British Museum, where entry to
the permanent collection is free, but the pass will get you into any
special exhibitions that are on

Martin
Old April 21st 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
[snip]
To Hammersmith (for taxi to Bayswater): 00:04 from Heathrow, arr.
Hammersmith 00:34

Alternatively, the number 27 bus is right upstairs and takes 18 minutes
(allegedly) from Hammersmith bus station to the Westbourne Grove end of
Queensway. It goes about every 15 minutes until 00.38, then half-hourly
all night.

James.

Old April 21st 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:51 +0100 (BST), (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

|While the walk to the hotel will involve going up or down Portchester
|Gardens, it looks only slightly further to the hotel via the Northern
|end of Queensborough Terrace as via the Bayswater Road end.

Different maps on the Net seem to disagree on this point.

http://www.capricornhotels.co.uk/byron-detmap.html points to the South half of Q.T.

whereas http://www.hotels-of-london.co.uk/ca...yron/index.htm puts the Byron
in the North half.

What a QUANDRY! Maybe I'll just stand at the corner of "Inv. P." (Inverness Place?)
and Inverness Terrace with my hands on my head and a dumbfounded expression on
my face. Not all that unusual for me...