Old August 28th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More munifence from Ken

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:43:20 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

"Peter Frimberley" wrote:

It's just a general "feel good about your city" campaign for both
residents and tourists alike. Works on some people, doesn't work on
others. Given that Capital Radio and British Gas paid for it, what's
your specific complaint about it? Because I can't think of any
downsides.

I'd rather have some money off my gas bill than millions squandered on Ken's
re-election campaign.

Chris

:shrug: so change your gas supplier then? Uswitch.com ...

Old August 28th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:

Come on - PLEASE somebody admit to having voted for all this nonsense!

Alas, I missed voting for Ken the first time round by a few months as
I hadn't yet moved to London, and I missed voting for him the second
time around as I'd just moved out of London, though I still commute in
to work there. I would have voted for Ken both times, and would vote
for him again if I ever move back to London, despite being a
card-carrying Lib Dem.

Roy
Old August 28th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roy Stilling wrote:
" wrote:

Come on - PLEASE somebody admit to having voted for all this nonsense!

Alas, I missed voting for Ken the first time round by a few months as
I hadn't yet moved to London, and I missed voting for him the second
time around as I'd just moved out of London, though I still commute in
to work there. I would have voted for Ken both times, and would vote
for him again if I ever move back to London, despite being a
card-carrying Lib Dem.

Roy

Okay, Roy, but do you not see something anomalous in supporting Ken's
munificence without actually having to pay for it? Maybe if you lived
in London and saw your Council Tax bill rising inexorably, you might
think differently.

In fact, that is exactly what led to Ken's first downfall - the fact
that the poor ratepayers of Bromley had to finance his generous
transport subsidy without much benefiting from it.

Marc.

Old August 28th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:

Come on - PLEASE somebody admit to having voted for all this nonsense!

I admit to voting for him, twice, despite the fact that I will never
vote red in any general election for the rest of my life. The main
reason was that the rival candidates were all hopeless muppets that
would have been much worse.

It looks like there is going to be no decent/sensible/worthwhile
opposition for the next mayoral election either, so you can look
forward to a third term I reckon.
Old August 29th 06, 06:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:

Okay, Roy, but do you not see something anomalous in supporting Ken's
munificence without actually having to pay for it? Maybe if you lived
in London and saw your Council Tax bill rising inexorably, you might
think differently.

Well I lived in London for about 3 and a half years paying council tax
- I just managed to miss voting in the mayoral elections both times!
I don't see how the fact that I no longer live in London means I don't
have the right to have an opinion that he's done, and doing, an
excellent job as Mayor and that if I was part of his electorate again
I'd vote for him.

Roy

Old August 29th 06, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roy
Stilling writes
" wrote:

Okay, Roy, but do you not see something anomalous in supporting Ken's
munificence without actually having to pay for it? Maybe if you lived
in London and saw your Council Tax bill rising inexorably, you might
think differently.

Well I lived in London for about 3 and a half years paying council tax
- I just managed to miss voting in the mayoral elections both times!
I don't see how the fact that I no longer live in London means I don't
have the right to have an opinion that he's done, and doing, an
excellent job as Mayor and that if I was part of his electorate again
I'd vote for him.

I voted for him last time and I've not regretted that decision and will
most likely vote for him again if he stands.

I may not agree with everything he does or says but overall I think he's
doing a good job for London and Londoners.