Old September 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

David Hansen wrote:
I doubt if many enthusiasts would damage the trains they are
enthusiastic about in order to get a free experience.

I can recall a fair number of instances where the booked loco for a
certain working has been deliberately vandalised so that a replacement
of more interest to the "basher" had to be substituted. I have also
dealt with cases where "enthusiasts" have wrecked a coach in their
orgasm of delight at the sound of a 37 or 40 for example.

Strange people.......

George

Old September 3rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Tim Fenton wrote
Yes, those nice men from Forest Gate would no doubt agree with you, as would
all manner of unfortunate Irishmen over the years. What if the Singaporeans
have an official dislike of all things Goth? Or a downer on rail enthusiasts
celebrating anything Hellfire? Who knows, in a society where chewing gum is
frowned upon.

Chewing gum used to be Verboten in Singapore BUT the authorities
were lent on by Uncle Sam who had WRIGLEYS lobbying to get a foot in.

So chewing gum is sold now.
Singapore is a nice clean place -but the saying goes when in Rome do as
the Romans do.
So IF i was in to using certain substances i wouldn't dream of wanting
to get caught there (Singapore and or Malaya) in possession.

Anyway having cucumber sandwiches and tea at Raffles in the afternoon
and then nipping for a gin sling is a nice experience.
--
d hill
Old September 3rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

David Hansen wrote:
Unless things have changed recently, without my noticing it, police
officers are still civilians.

The desk staff can have little or no training, giving completely
incorrect advice.

I even got grief from the police for not producing an MOT certificate
on a car that was just two years old! How many producers do they
normally deal with? Surely not everyone stopped has an old car?!

Jonathan

Old September 4th 06, 06:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 3 Sep 2006 12:15:19 -0700 someone who may be "furnessvale"
wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I doubt if many enthusiasts would damage the trains they are
enthusiastic about in order to get a free experience.

I can recall a fair number of instances where the booked loco for a
certain working has been deliberately vandalised so that a replacement
of more interest to the "basher" had to be substituted. I have also
dealt with cases where "enthusiasts" have wrecked a coach in their
orgasm of delight at the sound of a 37 or 40 for example.

I doubt if such people represent more than a small minority of
enthusiasts.

Strange people.......

If people were all the same the world would be very boring.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 4th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I doubt if many enthusiasts would damage the trains they are
enthusiastic about in order to get a free experience.

I can recall a fair number of instances where the booked loco for a
certain working has been deliberately vandalised so that a replacement
of more interest to the "basher" had to be substituted. I have also
dealt with cases where "enthusiasts" have wrecked a coach in their
orgasm of delight at the sound of a 37 or 40 for example.

I doubt if such people represent more than a small minority of
enthusiasts.

Strange people.......

If people were all the same the world would be very boring.

True, we all need our share of thieves, criminal damagers, rapists and
murderers to liven up our humdrum lives. Perhaps I can send a wrecker
round to your place to make your day:-)

George

Old September 4th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Policing and form of transport was 2 jailed for railway graffiti

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:51:07 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message .com, at
08:51:12 on Sun, 3 Sep 2006, furnessvale remarked:
Given that rail companies have to pay directly for the services of BTP
whereas comparable non rail transport companies have the services of
home office forces for free

Gosh, did Gordon reduce business rates to zero while I wasn't watching?

I assume that rail companies also pay the business rates. Major
terminals for most forms of transport have some kind of security force
with varying amounts of police power. Rail is probably unusual in
also providing a security presence on the right of way.
Old September 4th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Brian Begg-Robertson ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

Oh for God's sake, listen to yourselves! You just harden people like
that by giving them the birch. We have whole areas of the country
where the gun is king and people cary them knowing that to do so
shortens their own life expectancy to mid 20s if they are lucky, and
you expect them to respect the birch. Kids these days are savages.
Lock them up, throw the key away, pretend that it will make them
better people. It wont!

OK, fine.

So... Prison won't work for 'em. Corporal punishment won't work for 'em.

What DO you suggest? Or are you just overwhelmingly negative about
everything?
Old September 4th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Brian Begg-Robertson ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

Why do they have to spend money clearing up after them? Does 'well
done' graffiti actually do much harm? Some of it can be very artistic
and can add to the character of an area, and as far as trains are
concerned might even be considered to be preferable to the garish
colour schemes used by some TOCs.

Just when I thought that some of the answers could not get anymore silly.

Ever heard of Banksy?
Old September 4th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 12:20:14 on
Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Clark F Morris remarked:
wrote:

In message .com, at
08:51:12 on Sun, 3 Sep 2006, furnessvale remarked:
Given that rail companies have to pay directly for the services of BTP
whereas comparable non rail transport companies have the services of
home office forces for free

Gosh, did Gordon reduce business rates to zero while I wasn't watching?

I assume that rail companies also pay the business rates.

And they also get the "normal" police involved seemingly as often as the
BTP (for incidents at stations, anyway).

Old September 4th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"furnessvale" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
I doubt if many enthusiasts would damage the trains they are
enthusiastic about in order to get a free experience.

I can recall a fair number of instances where the booked loco for a
certain working has been deliberately vandalised so that a replacement
of more interest to the "basher" had to be substituted. I have also
dealt with cases where "enthusiasts" have wrecked a coach in their
orgasm of delight at the sound of a 37 or 40 for example.

I doubt if such people represent more than a small minority of
enthusiasts.

Strange people.......

If people were all the same the world would be very boring.

True, we all need our share of thieves, criminal damagers, rapists and
murderers to liven up our humdrum lives. Perhaps I can send a wrecker
round to your place to make your day:-)

George
I don't think he said or impied the two sentences above so why write them?