Old October 10th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Memo to Northern Line Controller

On 9 Oct 2006 09:25:49 -0700, Earl Purple wrote:

Second memo to Northern Line controller: why on earth do you choose to
run six trains via Charing Cross in ten minutes, with none via Bank? I
was at Kentish Town at 2210 on Friday night, thinking I'd left ample
time to get to London Bridge by 2249.

choice of 2 lines then. Thameslink changing if necessary. However I
know that Thameslink (now run by First Capital Connect) only care about
the passengers past St Albans- they get fast trains every 4 minutes at
peak hours while local passengers have to wait 16 minutes between
trains (at one point 20 minutes).

There's not much of a choice to make. Thameslink trains to London
Bridge don't stop at Kentish Town, so a change is required from
CityMetro to CityFlier, with neither service being particularly
frequent (in fact you'd be waiting on the platform at Kentish Town
until 2231). The trains are also very slow through the central area.
It is, as they say, a no-brainer.
Old October 11th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

They also it seems don't seem to care too much about people south
of the river. I had to get to blackfriars this morning so decided to
get Thameslink from KX instead of spending hours on the circle line.
Instead of a brighton or streatham service we got 3 moorgate trains
in a row despite 2 of them supposedly being brighton trains. In the end

I think they're planning to close the line to Moorgate eventually.

Of course, it shows that the capacity for more trains is there.
Blackfriars station actually right on top of the river, not South of
it. And the station entrance is on the North side.

I got on the 3rd one to farringdon and walked the rest of the way
since I had no idea when or if a train south would show up.
No announcements apart from a completely wrong automated one,
no nothing. Farcical.

I guess there were problems. I do know that the Blackfriars to London
Bridge link is always very slow because it crosses with other lines. I
would have the slower trains on the North side go on the Brighton
branch because those coming from the North right across are far more
likely to be going to Gatwick than to anywhere on the Sutton branch. Of
course it would inconvenience the passenger who takes a plane to Luton
Airport then needs to make a connection to Gatwick, as if there are
likely to be many of those.