Old October 23rd 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Stratford Regional

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:

and an additional westbound Central line
platfom allowing exit on both sides of the train.

Presumably the best way they can see to reduce overcrowding on the 3-5
island. On the NR side the platform space is scarily narrow and very
difficult to move along at peak hours.

It looks as though it will give much better interchange from the westbound
Central Line to DLR (to Poplar, etc, when DLR moves to its new platforms),
Jubilee Line, DLR (Stratford International - Canning Town line) and buses,
while retaining good interchange from the Shenfield line to the Central
Line.

peter

Old October 23rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Great Eastern wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
What ****es me off most is when you want to go from Stratford to
Liverpool Street and you have to choose between platforms 5 and 10
(so far apart).

IIRC most trains to LST from Stratford which are on the Up Main (P9)
are Set Down Only. P5 is the Up Electric which are the ones you should
board.

LOL have you or anyone else you have ever known ever followed the "Set Down
Only" rule?

Honestly! If people are getting off, people will get on. It's human
nature.
Old October 23rd 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in
ups.com:

I think it's 9, but it's the same island, far from platform 5.

I've used 10 on a number of occasions!
Old October 23rd 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

and an additional westbound Central line
platfom allowing exit on both sides of the train.

Presumably the best way they can see to reduce overcrowding on the 3-5
island. On the NR side the platform space is scarily narrow and very
difficult to move along at peak hours.

It looks as though it will give much better interchange from the westbound
Central Line to DLR (to Poplar, etc, when DLR moves to its new platforms),
Jubilee Line, DLR (Stratford International - Canning Town line) and buses,
while retaining good interchange from the Shenfield line to the Central
Line.

This must be the first LU example of two platform faces for capacity
reasons rather than for terminating trains (DLR already offering both
intentions in the same station at Canary Wharf).

Being unfamiliar with Stratford, I'm trying to understand the level
changes in the diagram. My impression from the diagrams is that
currently access to the Jubilee line is directly from the existing
ticket hall, but access to the current NLL/new DLR cannot be, because
the tracks pass over the hall. So how do you reach the new DLR platforms?

--
Dave Arquati
Old October 23rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

[...]

Err the new DLR Platforms (I assume you mean those to Bow Church) will
be reached off the existing mezzanine level which you use if you exit
the Jubilee Line and wish to reach the street. You go through the
interchange gateline, up the escalator / steps turn right, go over the
current NLL tracks / future DLR Stratford International line and then
down steps and out via the perimeter gateline.

The NLL line tracks currently split the main ticket hall from the
Jubilee Line and when heading north run through the middle of the
station in a box. It is an unusual arrangement.

Those drawings look fairly similar to some early schemes I saw at work
that showed how the Stratford City Development would fit in round the
existing station. I had not seen the proposed extra Central Line
platform but was aware of where it would be - this is essentially an
Olympics issue due to capacity and congestion concerns. I think there
are concerns about dwell times being longer in normal operation than now
so whether it helps overall Central Line capacity is maybe a moot point.

The extra mezzanine ticket hall next to the platform 3A is new to me -
the very dispersed nature of the ticket halls in this station is going
to make it very expensive to operate if there have to be staff at all
locations.
--
Paul C

Old October 23rd 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

[...]

Actually I meant the new DLR Stratford Int'l line, although now I
understand how the ticket hall works. Will these be accessed on the
level from the ticket hall (on either side of the box)?

Old October 23rd 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote

Being unfamiliar with Stratford, I'm trying to understand the level
changes in the diagram. My impression from the diagrams is that
currently access to the Jubilee line is directly from the existing
ticket hall, but access to the current NLL/new DLR cannot be, because
the tracks pass over the hall. So how do you reach the new DLR platforms?

Access to the westbound NLL platform is from the Jubilee Line ticket hall,
but to the eastbound is via a footbridge. Access to the new DLR Poplar
platforms, and the new westbound Central Line platform will be from the
mezzanine of the ticket hall.

Peter

Old October 23rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:01:19 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

The NLL line tracks currently split the main ticket hall from the
Jubilee Line and when heading north run through the middle of the
station in a box. It is an unusual arrangement.

Actually I meant the new DLR Stratford Int'l line, although now I
understand how the ticket hall works. Will these be accessed on the
level from the ticket hall (on either side of the box)?

Yes - as the NLL is now.

S/B direct from street level ticket hall once through the gateline. N/B
to Stratford International is "up and over" as per current access to
Jubilee Line and to N/B NLL.

As the DLR's traction current supply is incompatible with anything else
the NLL has to be pushed up to the new platform 12 area (effectively via
the freight tracks on to the main line). The DLR takes over a shortish
section of the current NLL and then there is a new alignment to reach
the International Station and possibly beyond towards Leyton (if the
potential alignment is protected in the design of the Olympic site and
later development).

It is very odd to see trains effectively travelling through the middle
of a ticket hall but given the position of the Jubilee Line tracks there
was little option. Believe me we went through many, many variants of
Stratford's design when it was at the detailed planning stage.
--
Paul C

Old October 23rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

[...]

There is a mezzanine deck (yellow on the diagram) above the existing NLL
platforms, if you come through the Jubilee line gateline you go up to this
level and then to your right and down again, to get to the eastern gateline,
and exit towards Stratford. Access to the new DLR platforms appears to be to
the western end of the mezzanine deck, and on the same level.

I can see it getting quite complex with all the gatelines and Oyster readers
necessary.....

Paul

Old October 23rd 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Dave Arquati" wrote

Being unfamiliar with Stratford, I'm trying to understand the level
changes in the diagram. My impression from the diagrams is that
currently access to the Jubilee line is directly from the existing
ticket hall, but access to the current NLL/new DLR cannot be, because
the tracks pass over the hall. So how do you reach the new DLR

platforms?

Access to the westbound NLL platform is from the Jubilee Line ticket hall,
but to the eastbound is via a footbridge. Access to the new DLR Poplar
platforms, and the new westbound Central Line platform will be from the
mezzanine of the ticket hall.

To clarify, the ticket hall is in two parts, separated by the existing NLL
tracks, and connected by the mezzanine.

Peter