Old November 13th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default NLL Closure / DLR to Stratford International

Tristán White wrote:

It's quite useful to hover in this limbo with easy access to either
platform. So why move the DLR to the NLL platform at Canning Town?

They're NOT moving it. These will be additional DLR platforms for the
new DLR service to Stratford International (For Olympic Stadium) or
whatever it's called this week.

Old November 13th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

solar penguin wrote:
They're NOT moving it. These will be additional DLR platforms for the
new DLR service to Stratford International (For Olympic Stadium) or
whatever it's called this week.

That's right. The service will be "as is", with the *addition* of a
Stratford - Canning Town - Beckton-or-King George
V-I-can't-remember-which service (the latter, I think).

PhiLD

Old November 13th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
. 109.145...
"Paul Scott" wrote in
:

Er.. you haven't been following why the NLL closure is taking place at
all, have you, even living in Canning Town! I gues you won't have
taken part in the consultation process.....

No, I never knew anything about the closure until it was all agreed. I'd
have loved to have been consulted!

Canning Town NLL platforms & Straftford platforms 1 &2 become DLR
platforms - that's the whole point of the NLL closures.....

The good thing about the DLR where it is at the moment, is if I am going
into town, I stand just at the bottom of the escalators to the DLR where
I can see how long for the next DLR and whether it's going to Tower
Gateway or Bank. Depending on whether one of them, or the JLE, comes
first, I take it. Going from Canning Town to Kings Cross, it's slightly
quicker to take the DLR to Bank and change to the Northern Line, but if
there's a JLE in 1 minute and a Bank train in 7, it's not worth it.

It's quite useful to hover in this limbo with easy access to either
platform. So why move the DLR to the NLL platform at Canning Town?

They aren't 'moving' the DLR - there will be 4 DLR platforms - 2 for
stations to Bank as now, 2 for Stratford international. You'll have exactly
the same choice for 'going into town' as now.....

Not to mention the extra expense that this reburbishment will entail,
and the necessary downtime.

Not to mention the fact that the current DLL platform is completely
accessible whereas the future one on the current NLL platform is not
(yet).

It will be accessible, like all the new DLR stations on the new DLR route...

Oh well, they had their consultation and I wasn't asked, so I guess it's
too late now.

DLR have convinced the DfT that they undertook a full consultation,
including 100% coverage of homes in the area. You must have been out when
this happened, if you are new to the area, then unlucky, you missed it....

'In October 2004, a leaflet describing the proposals was distributed to over
40,000 households and businesses within the catchment area of the proposal.
This was followed by presentations at various local forums in late 2004.
In February 2005, a second leaflet describing station options was
distributed to households and businesses within the station catchment areas.
This was followed by a number of local open workshops in early March 2005 to
gauge comments and issues. In July 2005 the selected locations for new
stations were presented to local residents, with plans and artists
impressions.'

On the DLR website at:
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/extens...rd/index.shtml

Paul

Old November 13th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"PhilD" wrote in message
oups.com...

solar penguin wrote:
They're NOT moving it. These will be additional DLR platforms for the
new DLR service to Stratford International (For Olympic Stadium) or
whatever it's called this week.

That's right. The service will be "as is", with the *addition* of a
Stratford - Canning Town - Beckton-or-King George
V-I-can't-remember-which service (the latter, I think).

PhiLD

Both - there will be a complex juntion south of Canning Town allowing for
the 4 possible routes.

Paul

Old November 13th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--

Indeed the situation will be just the same as now if you're going into
town. If you're heading to Beckton or King George V, however, it will

Old November 13th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes
DLR have convinced the DfT that they undertook a full consultation,
including 100% coverage of homes in the area. You must have been out
when this happened, if you are new to the area, then unlucky, you
missed it....

'In October 2004, a leaflet describing the proposals was distributed to
over 40,000 households and businesses within the catchment area of the
proposal. This was followed by presentations at various local forums in
late 2004. In February 2005, a second leaflet describing station
options was distributed to households and businesses within the station
catchment areas. This was followed by a number of local open workshops
in early March 2005 to gauge comments and issues. In July 2005 the
selected locations for new stations were presented to local residents,
with plans and artists impressions.'

Oh yes, I remember that coming though the door. I was one of those
'screwed Newhamites' who agreed with what they proposed and look forward
to the enhancements we're getting.

I thought the plan was for a Beckton - Stratford Intl service, I do hope
so....now that will be handy.
Old November 13th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
DLR have convinced the DfT that they undertook a full consultation,
including 100% coverage of homes in the area. You must have been out when
this happened, if you are new to the area, then unlucky, you missed it....

'In October 2004, a leaflet describing the proposals was distributed to over
40,000 households and businesses within the catchment area of the proposal.
This was followed by presentations at various local forums in late 2004.
In February 2005, a second leaflet describing station options was
distributed to households and businesses within the station catchment areas.
This was followed by a number of local open workshops in early March 2005 to
gauge comments and issues. In July 2005 the selected locations for new
stations were presented to local residents, with plans and artists
impressions.'

As someone who has had to run large-scale public consultations in the
past, and making no comment on the original poster, I'd just like to
say that even if someone personally went around to every one of the
40,000 households, sat down with the householder and talked them
through it, you would still find people saying there had been no
consultation.

The current plans for the redevelopment of Lewisham town centre are a
classic example. I've had god knows how many leaflets and brochures
through my door, even though I don't live in Lewisham itself, just in
the borough. There are posters up in many places, there's a website,
there have been at least five roadshows in the Lewisham Centre plus a
series of public meetings and focus groups. Yet at the last public
meeting, there were still people there who said they knew nothing about
it.

Patrick

Old November 13th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
I thought the plan was for a Beckton - Stratford Intl service, I do hope
so....now that will be handy.

Currently, stations from Poplar to Canning Town are served with 12tph.
At Canning Town the Beckton and KGV routes diverge, with each terminus
receiving 6tph. After the new Canning Town Junction is completed
services from Stratford International to Beckton and KGV will be
started. AFAIK stations from Stratford Intl to Canning Town will also
get 12tph, with the service diverging at Canning Town LL as it does at
Canning Town HL to both Beckton and KGV.

Basically, this will result in both the Beckton and KGV branches
getting double the service they do now without forcing more trains to
traverse the junctions at Poplar and West India Quay; it also provides
a much more frequent local service to stations along both branches, and
also increases access to the Jubilee Line for commuters heading for
Canary Wharf.

If the Dagenham branch of the DLR is built then the Beckton route will
get 18tph, with the Dagenham trains reversing via the Canning Town
siding, so if you do in fact live on the Beckton branch, you'll
eventually be "in like Flynn" ;-))

Old November 13th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for your (and all the other) helpful replies.

No, I never got a leaflet or a visit and I've lived here since 1999. I live
near the Greengate (Plaistow), which I assume is within the catchment area
Old November 13th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"brixtonite" wrote in
ups.com:

Indeed the situation will be just the same as now if you're going into
town. If you're heading to Beckton or King George V, however, it will
become rather less convenient - since the first train could leave from
either the current DLR platform or the current NLL platform, and the
two are rather far apart!

Thanks. I guess the same will happen if you're going from Canning Town to
Stratford - which platform to go to.

(As is at the moment with the NLL and JLE, but there's not much competition
from NLL for this short route unless the JLE is suspended).

All the more reason for hoping that there'll be a big, useful, informative
dot matrix display showing the times of the next Beckton/KGeorge V train,
and the next Stratford train, on the ticket office level.

It will prove useful, and mean people won't be running from one platform to
another when they realise that one line has problems and the next one is in
1 minute on the other platform!!

Will it happen? I hope so!! But I won't cross my fingers. I haven't seen
much collaboration between the tube lines and the DLL lines when it comes
to signage (how easy would it be to have that board with GOOD SERVICE
written on it to include the DLR?!)

Even on the tubes, they can't always do something simple to help customers.
I remember often arriving at Euston and not knowing which branch to take -
and no information regarding which one had the next train. Whereas Camden
Town has the perfect solution: a nice board in the middle with the next
train clearly pointed out.