Old February 20th 07, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Passenger door buttons gone on refurb D Stock

Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair train in the rush hour without serious
inconvenience to themselves and other people. Its hard enough for
mothers with prams.

If mothers with prams can do it, why shouldn't people with wheelchairs?
And why suddenly qualify with "in the rush hour".

People with wheelchairs travel on the accessible parts of the Tube in
the following manner: go through the wide gates, using Oyster card.
Use lift to descend to platform level. Get on train.
Repeat in reverse order at destination.

Old February 20th 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair

I have never seen a blue whale with my own eyes.
But I don't doubt they exist.
Old February 20th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes

Perhaps it has something to do with wheelchair users not being able to reach
them.

I can't remember when I've ever seen someone in a wheelchair on the
tube. DLR yes , tube no.

Sorry to disappoint you but in the past two weeks, I've noticed 3
wheelchair users getting on my train.

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)
Old February 20th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John
Hearns writes
Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that
section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair

I have never seen a blue whale with my own eyes.
But I don't doubt they exist.

You haven't seen a blue whale? I feel sorry for you and your limited
experience of life

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old February 20th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul G wrote:

You haven't seen a blue whale? I feel sorry for you and your limited
experience of life

I have seen plenty of pink elephants though. Mostly late on a Friday night.

Old February 20th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote in message

They haven't been used for, ooh, seven or eight years now.

When I first moved to London (1997) the doors were only
passenger-controlled in the winter, but after a couple of years they
went to driver control at all times. I know not why. However, TTBOMK,
*no* Underground trains that have passenger-controlled door buttons
actually use them any more.

I've been trying to find evidence for this unsuccessfully, but I think I
once heard that the passenger door control is not normally used because it
slows the service down, because opening the doors takes longer at stations.
Individuals randomly positioned on the platform aren't lined up with the
doors, and aren't as fast as the driver, who knows exactly 'when' to operate
them...

Paul S

Old February 21st 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 20, 4:13 pm, John Hearns wrote:
Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair train in the rush hour without serious
inconvenience to themselves and other people. Its hard enough for
mothers with prams.

If mothers with prams can do it, why shouldn't people with wheelchairs?

Because it normally involves lots of people shuffling out the way.

And why suddenly qualify with "in the rush hour".

Umm , because its busy then? Sorry , was I making this too
complicated?

People with wheelchairs travel on the accessible parts of the Tube in
the following manner: go through the wide gates, using Oyster card.
Use lift to descend to platform level. Get on train.
Repeat in reverse order at destination.

So presumably all the people standing in the train doors who can
barely get on themselves miraculously just melt out the way as soon as
they see a wheelchair? Perhaps there are magic wheelchairs that shrink
so they're only a few inches wide?

B2003

Old February 21st 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 20, 10:23 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message .com,
Boltar writes

Perhaps it has something to do with wheelchair users not being able to reach
them.

I can't remember when I've ever seen someone in a wheelchair on the
tube. DLR yes , tube no.

Sorry to disappoint you but in the past two weeks, I've noticed 3
wheelchair users getting on my train.

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday. Never seen a wheelchair user once.
Besides which I can't see how they'd get out at most of the stations
given the drop from the train to the platform and the lack of lifts at
most of them.

B2003

Old February 21st 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb 2007 08:07:13 -0800, "Boltar" wrote:

On Feb 20, 10:23 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message .com,
Boltar writes

Perhaps it has something to do with wheelchair users not being able to reach
them.

I can't remember when I've ever seen someone in a wheelchair on the
tube. DLR yes , tube no.

Sorry to disappoint you but in the past two weeks, I've noticed 3
wheelchair users getting on my train.

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday. Never seen a wheelchair user once.
Besides which I can't see how they'd get out at most of the stations
given the drop from the train to the platform and the lack of lifts at
most of them.

I have seen people on the Picc in wheelchairs and on other lines. One
amazing chap was on the Vic Line. He had some mobility and was pretty
fit and happily bounced his wheelchair up into the carriage, made
himself at home in the vestibule - no special spaces on 67 stock - and
happily bounced off again at Walthamstow Central. He wheeled himself
round to the escalators and got himself up out of his chair and hung on
to his chair and the escalator and got himself up to the ticket hall. He
then somehow physically dragged himself up the stairs to the "one"
platforms. I was surprised and impressed at his stamina and
determination. Now he shouldn't have to do all that but nonetheless some
disabled people clearly will do it so they have their mobility.

I'm not pretending here that we're talking about big numbers - we
aren't. However you not seeing them doesn't mean they don't exist nor
that they don't make the effort to travel in spite of the difficulties.

I equally can't understand how blind people can use the tube but there
are loads of them using the tube every day. There are several regulars
at Walthamstow who use the tube and the buses.
--
Paul C

Old February 21st 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:13 pm, John Hearns wrote:
And why suddenly qualify with "in the rush hour".

Umm , because its busy then? Sorry , was I making this too
complicated?

Only for yourself.

People with wheelchairs travel on the accessible parts of the Tube in
the following manner: go through the wide gates, using Oyster card.
Use lift to descend to platform level. Get on train.
Repeat in reverse order at destination.

So presumably all the people standing in the train doors who can
barely get on themselves miraculously just melt out the way as soon as
they see a wheelchair? Perhaps there are magic wheelchairs that shrink
so they're only a few inches wide?

Are you seriously arguing that people in wheelchair do not travel on the
Tube? If so you are wrong.
--
Michael Hoffman