Old February 21st 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Passenger door buttons gone on refurb D Stock

On Feb 21, 4:25 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
I equally can't understand how blind people can use the tube but there
are loads of them using the tube every day. There are several regulars
at Walthamstow who use the tube and the buses.

I've seen quite a few blind people. I'm guessing that using the tube
is no worse than having to negotiate a busy street and having to guess
what shop you're standing outside. People seem happy to help them when
directions are required. Not sure how keen people would be however if
a disabled guy wanted help getting himself and his chair up some
stairs.

B2003

Old February 21st 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article . com,
Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair train in the rush hour without serious
inconvenience to themselves and other people. Its hard enough for
mothers with prams.

Folk in wheelchairs can be more nimble than mothers with prams; some of
them will have been 'wheeling' for years, but mothers stop pushing prams
as soon as they can.

Not sure i'd agree with that - there are plenty of women pushing around
kids who are clearly old enough to walk. A friend of mine has a bee in her
bonnet about it and always points them out, so i know this to be true!

tom

simple system that worked. -- Gall's Law
Old February 21st 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, John Hearns wrote:

Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair

I have never seen a blue whale with my own eyes.

Oh, you should get down to the Natural History Museum, then. They've a
very good one there.

Old February 21st 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair

I have never seen a blue whale with my own eyes.

Oh, you should get down to the Natural History Museum, then. They've a
very good one there.

I think that's actually made of plaster...

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old February 21st 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

what shop you're standing outside. People seem happy to help them when
directions are required. Not sure how keen people would be however if
a disabled guy wanted help getting himself and his chair up some
stairs.

As has been pointed out to you, more and more stations now have lifts.

Old February 21st 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

And why suddenly qualify with "in the rush hour".

Umm , because its busy then? Sorry , was I making this too
complicated?

Your original post made no mention of the rush hour.
Old February 21st 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday.

Piccadilly line?
Lifts are Green Park, for interchange with Jubilee.
Hammersmith for interchange with the District.
Earls Court for interchange with the District.
Heathrow terminals.
Caledonian Road.
Old February 21st 07, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Oh, you should get down to the Natural History Museum, then. They've a
very good one there.

I think that's actually made of plaster...

God help us if Boltar ever clocks that - he'll be denying that blue
whales exist.
(They do - don't they? Its not some big joke is it?)
Old February 21st 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

I travel on the picc everyday. Never seen a wheelchair user once.
Besides which I can't see how they'd get out at most of the stations
given the drop from the train to the platform and the lack of lifts at
most of them.

Same way your parents with prams do - push them.

Oh, and just to cheer you up the new Met/Hammersmith/District platforms
at St Pancras have lifts. They'll even be able to go on holiday to France.

(Before anyone says it, of course there are of course existing lifts
from the Jubilee to Waterloo Eurostar concourse)
Old February 21st 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:22:19 +0000, John Hearns
wrote:

Boltar wrote:

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday.

Piccadilly line?
Lifts are Green Park, for interchange with Jubilee.
Hammersmith for interchange with the District.
Earls Court for interchange with the District.
Heathrow terminals.
Caledonian Road.

You've missed Hounslow East, Hounslow West that has a stair lift and
Hillingdon (for Uxbridge Line trains).

Sudbury Town (IIRC) has level access from both platforms and Uxbridge is
on the flat too.
--
Paul C