Old February 21st 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Passenger door buttons gone on refurb D Stock

In message , John
Hearns writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Oh, you should get down to the Natural History Museum, then. They've
a very good one there.

I think that's actually made of plaster...

God help us if Boltar ever clocks that - he'll be denying that blue
whales exist.
(They do - don't they? Its not some big joke is it?)

Well I've never actually seen one ;-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old February 21st 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 17:33, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article . com,
Boltar wrote:

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair train in the rush hour without serious
inconvenience to themselves and other people. Its hard enough for
mothers with prams.

Folk in wheelchairs can be more nimble than mothers with prams; some of
them will have been 'wheeling' for years, but mothers stop pushing prams
as soon as they can.

Not sure i'd agree with that - there are plenty of women pushing around
kids who are clearly old enough to walk. A friend of mine has a bee in her
bonnet about it and always points them out, so i know this to be true!

tom

Tom - dare I say that it's sometimes easier to shove them in a buggy
anyway! Little legs get tired quickly.

Old February 21st 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 15:53, "Boltar" wrote:
On Feb 20, 2:25 pm, John Hearns wrote:

Boltar wrote:

I can't remember when I've ever seen someone in a wheelchair on the
tube. DLR yes , tube no.

Have a ride on the Jubilee Line - the part with the accessible platforms.

I don't use the jubilee much but the times I have been on that section
I've not seen any either. Also I can't see how someone would get on or
off a tube in a wheelchair train in the rush hour without serious
inconvenience to themselves and other people. Its hard enough for
mothers with prams.

B2003

I've seen wheelchair users on the new eastern section of the Jubilee
line several times, though not during rush hour.

Old February 21st 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But what about on national rail services, which have manual door operations?
People seem to use them just fine. Same goes for the DLR and Croydon
Tramlink.

Having them is good, particularly in the winter, because it conserves
energy.

I notice that many undergrounds in continental Europe have manual door
opening, and nobody blinks an eye at it.

But newer stock on the Paris Metro has only driver-controlled doors, which
is a departure from the older models, where you had to lift a latch.

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
I've been trying to find evidence for this unsuccessfully, but I think I
once heard that the passenger door control is not normally used because it
slows the service down, because opening the doors takes longer at
stations. Individuals randomly positioned on the platform aren't lined up
with the doors, and aren't as fast as the driver, who knows exactly 'when'
to operate them...

Paul S

Old February 22nd 07, 06:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Boltar writes
On Feb 20, 10:23 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message .com,
Boltar writes

Perhaps it has something to do with wheelchair users not being
able to reach
them.

I can't remember when I've ever seen someone in a wheelchair on the
tube. DLR yes , tube no.

Sorry to disappoint you but in the past two weeks, I've noticed 3
wheelchair users getting on my train.

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday. Never seen a wheelchair user once.
Besides which I can't see how they'd get out at most of the stations
given the drop from the train to the platform and the lack of lifts at
most of them.

You don't always need lifts:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads...uide1-october2
006.pdf

Although I noticed Dagenham Heathway (which I used yesterday) is shown
as being wheelchair accessible and yet there's possibly half a foot
between the train floor height the platform (I'm not sure why some
stations on the same line are better than others, in this respect),
which I would have thought is enough to be challenging. It does have a
disabled toilet and ramp to street level however.

One third of Tube stations to be accessible by 2013:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...-releases-cont
ent.asp?prID=734

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking

Old February 22nd 07, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul G wrote:

Although I noticed Dagenham Heathway (which I used yesterday) is shown
as being wheelchair accessible and yet there's possibly half a foot
between the train floor height the platform

George he hump might help the
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...gePlatform.pdf

I've never seen one, but the document says there is a prototype at Holborn.
Old February 22nd 07, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

You don't always need lifts:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads...ss-guide1-octo...
006.pdf

Although I noticed Dagenham Heathway (which I used yesterday) is shown
as being wheelchair accessible and yet there's possibly half a foot
between the train floor height the platform (I'm not sure why some
stations on the same line are better than others, in this respect),
which I would have thought is enough to be challenging. It does have a
disabled toilet and ramp to street level however.

One third of Tube stations to be accessible by 2013:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...ress-releases-...
ent.asp?prID=734

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking-

The platform/train thing is solved by staff with ramps on NR, so I
don't see why not on LU.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:24 am, Paul G wrote:

The platform/train thing is solved by staff with ramps on NR, so I
don't see why not on LU.

That sounds reasonable enough. On NR ramps are located on each platform.
Would definitely have to be padlocked on Tube as some yobbo would throw
them on the tracks. Wouldn't be a good idea on subsurface lines though.
But see above - platform humps are the answer.

Anyway, wheelchairs don't need dead flat access everywhere.
How would people cope with our city streets if they couldn't ?
Old February 22nd 07, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 6:22 pm, John Hearns wrote:
Boltar wrote:

Deep level tubes and all (Piccadilly)

I travel on the picc everyday.

Piccadilly line?
Lifts are Green Park, for interchange with Jubilee.
Hammersmith for interchange with the District.
Earls Court for interchange with the District.
Heathrow terminals.
Caledonian Road.

So thats six stations out of , what , 30 , 40? Are you suggesting
thats actually a useful amount?

B2003

Old February 22nd 07, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 6:27 pm, John Hearns wrote:
Boltar wrote:

I travel on the picc everyday. Never seen a wheelchair user once.
Besides which I can't see how they'd get out at most of the stations
given the drop from the train to the platform and the lack of lifts at
most of them.

Same way your parents with prams do - push them.

How exactly does someone in a wheelchair get out and push? Or are that
always supposed to rely on good samaritans to help or take a friend
along everywhere?

B2003