Old February 22nd 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
When I did it, the signal was plated as an automatic. The Line
Controller informed the driver of the next train to expect a pickup,
and when the train was heard/seen approaching someone held out a Bardic
(or equivalent) displaying red.

Will you still be able to do that if and when the line goes to automatic
control? Whilst I'm aware that the train could be stopped, will the
cab have doors? Do I recall that 67 stock don't have them?
--
Clive.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

In article , Graeme Wall
writes
So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge
space for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for
their use only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public
transport in the sense that everyone else does.

In the late 19th century, you could turn up at a station, proffer the
requisite amount, and have a carriage dedicated to yourself or even have
a special train run at your command. Is that public transport? After
all, it's open to any person able to pay the (documented) fare.

Even now certain people can have a special train run for them if they pay the
appropriate charge.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 22nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote

Even now certain people can have a special train run for them if they pay

the
appropriate charge.

Anyone can, and the NRT (page 2651) even hints at how to go about it. It
suggests ten to fourteen weeks notice, whereas in Victorai times you could
approach the stationmaster, at least at a main station, and you'd be on your
way in your special train within the hour.

Peter

Old February 22nd 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

The message
from Graeme Wall contains these words:

Even now certain people can have a special train run for them if they
pay the
appropriate charge.

BTDT - at no extra charge! Not recently though, about 1976 IIRC.

We were taking a party of 20 students to the Lakes. Change at
Lancaster. When the Barrow train rolled in to the platform it was wedged
and the guard told us not to even try to get on, but there was a relief
train behind, and he would get the connection on to Ravenglass held for
us at Barrow. He was right about the relief, but he forgot about the
connection at Barrow, and when we got there the station was deserted.
The driver who brought us from Lancaster had a word with his guard, who
knew our story, went into an office, came back a few minutes later and
told us to get back on the train. We arrived in Ravenglass in plenty of
time to make our connection onto La'al Ratty.

--
Dave,
Frodsham
Old February 22nd 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On 22 Feb, 20:40, "Clive D. W. Feather" c...@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk wrote:
In article , asdf
writes

There are stub platforms, perhaps 4m long, on each line. If a train (in
either direction) stopped at the old starter signal as if it was
stopping at the station, you can enter the driver's cab from the stub
platform.

During WW2 (and perhaps still?) it was possible for someone waiting on
the stub platform to manually replace the signal to red, in order to
"hail" a passing train.

When I did it, the signal was plated as an automatic. The Line
Controller informed the driver of the next train to expect a pickup, and
when the train was heard/seen approaching someone held out a Bardic (or
equivalent) displaying red.

And then presumably you piled out from the drivers cab door into the
main part of the carriage, which must have been a cause of bemusement
to the normal passengers.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On 22 Feb, 20:16, asdf wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:48:00 -0000, Andrew Clark wrote:
In what conceivable circumstances would members of the Royal Family be
evacuated from Buckingham Place by *tube train*? Of all the modes of
emergency transport, that seem the least likely.

Nuclear attack?

Helo would be faster before the attack [...]

But if the attack took place during the evacuation, I know what I'd
rather be on...

In a full scale nuclear attack on London I think the best one could
hope for would be as painless and quick a death as possible.

Old February 22nd 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article .com,
Mizter T writes
And then presumably you piled out from the drivers cab door into the
main part of the carriage, which must have been a cause of bemusement
to the normal passengers.

About 15 of us, in hi-vis vests, with things like "Station Manager" and
"Incident Officer" on them. Ranging from 50 down to about 14.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman. wrote:
In message , Bill Again
writes
Hence the Private Eye headline in the days when Phil

I've got this nagging feeling that Spitting Image had a different name
for him, but what was it?

Stavros?

Old February 23rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
In message .com
"MIG" wrote:

[snip]

However I wonder whether it is true. If you take a look at the
Victoria line's route as marked on the central London bus map then
it is shown as passing under the Buck House garden but not the
building itself - this makes sense as the line needs to turn so as
to be aligned to run southeast from Victoria station towards
Pimlico and Vauxhall.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

I think the alignments in the bus maps bear little relation to the
geography. They are just showing that an Underground line links the
places. Look how they've drawn the Bakerloo, which we know exactly
follows all the kinks of Haymarket and Regent Street.

I've got no opinion on where the Victoria line goes though.

There are maps available that show the actual geographic routes of the
various UndergrounD lines. Mine for the Victoria is in a booklet
produced at the time the line was opened. It does show the line
passing close to the left hand end of the building though not
physically under it. How accurate the map is I leave to the
conspiracy theorists to argue about.

The old AtoZ used to show all this detail of the tube and other lines,
though not the PO railway.

Old February 23rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 22 Feb, 03:19, "Westbourne" wrote:
On 22 Feb, 02:00, "Mizter T" wrote:

Brian Watson wrote:
A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just
claimed there are secret underground train lines between
Buckingham Palace and various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?

--
Brian

I heard a bit of this whilst out for a jog this afternoon - if
anyone wants to listen again for the next week they can do so by
following this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...l?london/rober...

I've heard plenty of good stuff about London on Robert Elms' show
when I've tuned in, but the stories about secret Underground
railways that featured on this particular show was not good stuff,
it was all a load of cobblers!

There are undoubtedly some quasi-secret tunnels and installations in
London - for example the "Q-Whitehall" facility and "PINDAR" [1] -
and there are quite possibly a number of others - but there's no
secret Underground railway lines!

More about the aforementioned underground installations on
Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_citadels_under_London

If you want to read about a Metro system that quite possibly does
have a secret line, as well as a supposed dual-purpose so it serves
as a link between military facilities, take a look at this
unofficial site about the Pyongyang Metro:
http://www.pyongyang-metro.com/index.html

That pyongyang link is interesting, thanks.

As for all the conspiracy nutters, this was all being bandied about
on the other forum. I still believe in the box tunnel though. Most
interesting thread.

The Box Tunnel at Corsham is definitely for real - the academic and
author Peter Hennessy made an authorised site visit to Corsham with a
few of his students and this is recalled, with photos, in his book
"The Secret State". Intriguingly they were only allowed in some (now
disused) areas of the Corsham complex, so the possibility remains that
other parts are still in government/military use. Hennessy was also
allowed down into PINDAR, the communications/command centre under the
MoD.

Part of the problem with all such talk of secret underground
installations is that many different facts, stories and rumours get
conflated together, and the end result can be something of a fantasy.

The people at the Subterranea Britannica society have a splendid
website which is well researched and draws on fact rather than
fiction:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

Yes - you want to read about what is STILL there at Longbridge!

The group found that its as though workers just finished shift this
afternoon.

Then, there's the engine testing that IS still going on there - there's data
on wall sheets of current tests, not to mention plenty of cars still
hanging from the overhead conveyors, and parts by the tons.........