Old February 22nd 07, 08:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

notbresson wrote:
"allan tracy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 2:20 pm, "Brian Watson" wrote:
A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just
claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Would this be an opportune momment to raise the issue of the
'Strategic Reserve'?

It's at Heapy ex ROF site.
Try parking up close to the site and if you look in the right place you see
little camera in the trees move and point at you.
It was rail connected but it is only a short low loader haul to Network Rail
lines. Mostley ex WD 2-8-0s and some Stanier 2-8-0s with large hoppers of
coal there also. Army trucks take in personel to maintain famililiarity with
the machines and occasionally they must fire up because smoke can sometimes
be seen.
No coincidence that it isn't far from Lostock Hall and Lower Darwen sheds
which were among the last steam shed closures.
Honest. It's true.

Please tell me you are joking!

Mind you, the idea of the security of the country resting upon the
resurection of a pile of kettles would be just so typical of the UK!

Brian.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Graham J wrote:

There could well be a small passageway between buck house and perhaps
the nearest tube station however. This sort of thing certainly isn't
unheard of.

Do you suppose any such passageway would have its own Oyster validator :-)

Yebbut it's pearl, rather than oyster.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633123.html
(D2271 (no TOPS class) at Minehead, 27 May 1995)
Old February 22nd 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Brian Watson wrote:

A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?

Well, I shouldn't be telling you this, but the tube line running
practically underneath BP was retired in 1967, for reasons of economy.
It was absorbed into the full Underground system, and publicised as a
new line, but in one of those in-jokes that abound in such situations,
its true origins can be discerned by considering which monarch it is
named after.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632942.html
(43 032 at Reading, 10 Mar 1999)
Old February 22nd 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 19:43, "Nick Pedley"
wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

... As to the story of evacuating the Royal Family in an emergency there are
two
runways in Central London capable of taking an aircraft of the Queens
Flight
assuming the latter still exists.

Why waste time driving to one of these spots which would need some
preparation when a helicopter based in your back garden can get you further
away in the same time?
32 (The Royal) Squadron is based at Northolt with BAe 146's and HS125
bizjets while the Royal Household have their own Sikorsky S76 helicopter to
get them around.
Where did I learn that? The Royal Website!http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page2836.asp

Exactly. If a secret entrance ever existed to the Vic line (So in
times of crisis Her Maj could squash onto a service train and zoom
along to the safe havens of Walthamstow or Brixton?) it would have
long ago have been discarded as virtually the whole of her family seem
to be pilots and tooling around in choppers is much more their style.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article , Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
"Nick Pedley" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
As to the story of evacuating the Royal Family in an emergency there are
two
runways in Central London capable of taking an aircraft of the Queens
Flight
assuming the latter still exists.

Why waste time driving to one of these spots which would need some
preparation when a helicopter based in your back garden can get you further
away in the same time?

The plans I'm talking about were drawn up on the early 1950s when helicopters
were small and unreliable.

The helicopters in "Whirlybirds" seemed reliable enough, just a bit on the
small side. My Whirlybirds trumps your Thunderbirds - real people vs. Puppets.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Jock Mackirdy" wrote in message

The plans I'm talking about were drawn up on the early 1950s when
helicopters
were small and unreliable.

The helicopters in "Whirlybirds" seemed reliable enough, just a bit on the
small side. My Whirlybirds trumps your Thunderbirds - real people vs.
Puppets.

Not many people know that the Thunderbirds episode that included shots in a
deserted underground of the 21st century was actually filmed in the secret
tunnels. As the puppets couldn't be operated easily in the tunnels because
of the low headroom they had to use real actors...

Paul

Old February 22nd 07, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just
claimed there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham
Palace and various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?

There are plenty of semi-secret tunnels connecting government buildings
in central London, and some may indeed have connections to the
Underground, but I doubt that there are trains running in them. At most,
they may have airport-style electric buggies for people and 'cargo' (eg,
boxes of files).

I bet the people who drive these electric buggies have to wear tin foil
suits.

Robin
Old February 22nd 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message

Having set this enquiry running, I'm now wondering how often members of the
royal family [...] travel by Tube.

If you listen to the announcements on the Victoria Line at Green Park,
the lady says 'Change here for Buckingham Palace'. I have often
wondered why she bothers saying that as I've never noticed the Queen
on the train, but then of course as she uses it so rarely maybe she
does need to be reminded.

Anyway, surely that's your answer. I expect if you tap on one of the
advertisement panels and say the magic word it will swing open and
reveal a secret travolator under Green Park leading to the palace.

Or maybe not.

Peter CS

Old February 22nd 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london
Ben Ben is offline

R.C. Payne wrote:
I bet the people who drive these electric buggies have to wear tin foil
suits.

Aluminium foil is generally the material of choice for evil henchmen
uniforms, especially when employed on tasks like driving buggies around
the secret underground lair.