Old February 22nd 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:47:24 on Thu, 22
Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at airports
and main line stations.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old February 22nd 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

Didn't Charlie ride in the cab of the first official day of Victoria
line running? I do remember the queen having a ride on the post office
railway, though I can't remember the occasion.

Brenda actually. The LT staff magazine had a photo of her at the controls of
the first train. Can't find my copy at the moment so can't say if Jug Ears
was there as well.

Old February 22nd 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
You are definitely giving your age away! IIRC Whirlybirds was late 50s
and the machines used were Bell 47G 2 seaters (includes pilot, paint
first before assembly). Similar machine to the Sioux used in MASH.

I remember "Whirlybirds", the copter looked like a bubble with a tail
made of girder type structure.

That's the one!

Old February 22nd 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:47:18 +0000, Charles Ellson wrote:
Hasn't the Moscow Metro got a few "unadvertised" sidings in the
vicinity of various government buildings ?

Our government, or theirs?

Old February 22nd 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On 22 Feb, 14:24, "Peter Ashby" wrote:
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?

--
Brian

Well, Brian I have to say many thanks for livening up this news group !!

Pete

To which newsgroup do you refer - as he copied his post to three, as I
think have all (or at least most) of the other contributors.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:42:01 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at airports
and main line stations.

So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.
Old February 22nd 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Halmyre
writes
Whirlybirds was one of those programmes trotted out during the summer
holidays to give the kids something to watch on TV. It was definitely
shown late 60s/early 70s...

I can remember it from my childhood so that put first showing back at
least to the mid-50s.
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:42:01 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at
airports and main line stations.

So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge space
for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for their use
only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public transport in
the sense that everyone else does.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Clive Coleman." wrote:

In message , Halmyre
writes
Whirlybirds was one of those programmes trotted out during the summer
holidays to give the kids something to watch on TV. It was definitely
shown late 60s/early 70s...

I can remember it from my childhood so that put first showing back at
least to the mid-50s.

I watched it around 59-61.