Old February 22nd 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

In message
"Recliner" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

In message
"Recliner" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

You are definitely giving your age away! IIRC Whirlybirds was late
50s and the machines used were Bell 47G 2 seaters (includes pilot,
paint first before assembly). Similar machine to the Sioux used in
MASH.

I've travelled in a Bell 47G as the THIRD person, hanging out on the
right-hand side (no door of course). It was in the Blue Mountains
near Sydney, on a pleasure flight en route to travel on the great
zig zag railway. http://www.zigzagrailway.com.au/

The 47G3 was a three seater, slightly more powerful engine and a
bigger bubble, same seat I gather.

The bench seat certainly was a tight fit -- my right cheek felt like it
was hanging in space. That was one flight where I made quite sure my
seat belt was done up properly!

I was filming out of a helo over the Solent when my harness came undone.
Definite brown trouser moment!

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old February 22nd 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:40:31 on
Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Charles Ellson remarked:
Early tube lines weren't very deep at all (IIRC the remnants of the
disused CSLR tunnels actually pass through some newer foundations)

The CSLR is immediately above the Northern Line at London Bridge, so
quite deep (it has to get under the river, after all). The northern
terminus station was a little shallower, and did get caught up in the
building of new foundations above it, though.
Old February 22nd 07, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
"Andrew Clark" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

The Mall and Hyde Park, according to Duncan Campbell in War Plan UK.

Mr Campbell (whose work I have always held in affectionate disregard) may
have been influenced by the WW2 assessments of the use of the Mall and
Rotten Row as emergency evacuation strips for the Royals in case of a
German parachute invasion. After the RAF said they were completely
unsuitable due to downdraughts and cross winds, the evacuation plan was
changed to road (Rolls Royce armoured cars, IIRC) and the Mall and lots of
other roads and open spaces were blocked to prevent glider landings.

Those plans were re-evaluated after the war I believe. Campbell's book is
1982. Someone else, who's name escapes me, came up with a similar story in
Beneath the City Streets, a less sensationalist book, in the early 70s. All
irrelevant now as modern helos are far more useful.

NB I bet whoever came up with the objection to the proposed landing strips
wasn't a Lysander pilot.

Old February 22nd 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:47:24 on Thu, 22
Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.
Old February 22nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:22:39
on Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Andrew Clark
remarked:
In what conceivable circumstances would members of the Royal Family be
evacuated from Buckingham Place by *tube train*? Of all the modes of
emergency transport, that seem the least likely.

It makes some sense to make a dash to the west by Piccadilly line,
perhaps transferring to a main line train on the outskirts.

Old February 22nd 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
A contributor to The Robert Elms Show on BBC Radio London has just claimed
there are secret underground train lines between Buckingham Palace and
various other London sites.

Nifty conspiracy theory, or fact?

--
Brian

Well, Brian I have to say many thanks for livening up this news group !!

Pete

Old February 22nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

Didn't Charlie ride in the cab of the first official day of Victoria
line running? I do remember the queen having a ride on the post office
railway, though I can't remember the occasion.
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Graeme Wall
writes
You are definitely giving your age away! IIRC Whirlybirds was late 50s and
the machines used were Bell 47G 2 seaters (includes pilot, paint first before
assembly). Similar machine to the Sioux used in MASH.

I remember "Whirlybirds", the copter looked like a bubble with a tail
made of girder type structure.
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Bill Again
writes
Hence the Private Eye headline in the days when Phil

I've got this nagging feeling that Spitting Image had a different name
for him, but what was it?
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:30:26 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Clive Coleman. remarked:
Didn't Charlie ride in the cab of the first official day of Victoria
line running?

I'm pretty sure that was Her Maj. But such use of Public Transport
wasn't really what people meant.