Old May 20th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wood Green to Streatham

Wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some rough advice as
to how I can get from Wood Green to Streatham Hill (or any part of
Streatham) with a zone 2-3 travelcard? Leaving in the morning and
returning after rush hour.

Many thanks for any advise.
Kind Regards,

Old May 20th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 20, 10:24 pm, Dave wrote:
Wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some rough advice as
to how I can get from Wood Green to Streatham Hill (or any part of
Streatham) with a zone 2-3 travelcard? Leaving in the morning and
returning after rush hour.

Many thanks for any advise.
Kind Regards,

The obvious trick would be to go by bus across zone 1. It would be
slow, but surely not as slow as trying to take circular route by
train.

If you bailed out at, say, Caledonian Road, there must be number of
combinations that would get you by bus to Elephant & Castle, from
which there are frequent trains (and probably more buses) to Streatham.

Old May 20th 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 20, 10:24 pm, Dave wrote:
Wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some rough advice as
to how I can get from Wood Green to Streatham Hill (or any part of
Streatham) with a zone 2-3 travelcard? Leaving in the morning and
returning after rush hour.

Piccadilly Line to Finsbury Park, Victoria Line to Highbury &
Islington, NLL to Willesden Junction, WLL to Clapham Junction, train
to Streatham Hill. The tube journey should take 10 minutes and the
rest is timetabled for 75.

Old May 21st 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some rough advice as
to how I can get from Wood Green to Streatham Hill (or any part of
Streatham) with a zone 2-3 travelcard? Leaving in the morning and
returning after rush hour.

Hmm, if you're willing to break the rules by going undetected through Z1,
and with a very, very slim chance of getting caught in any way...

Picc. to Finsbury Park
Vic. to Brixton
Loads of buses to Streatham Hill (journey takes about 7-8 mins)

Legally, it would be harder. Maybe:

Picc. to Caledonian Road.
Walk to NLL Caledonian Road station (not that far).
NLL to Willesden Junc.
WLL to Clapham Junc.
Southern (I think it is these days) to Streatham Hill.

BTN

Old May 21st 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...

Wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some rough advice as
to how I can get from Wood Green to Streatham Hill (or any part of
Streatham) with a zone 2-3 travelcard? Leaving in the morning and
returning after rush hour.

Hmm, if you're willing to break the rules by going undetected through
Z1, and with a very, very slim chance of getting caught in any way...

Picc. to Finsbury Park
Vic. to Brixton

.... and the system decides you've gone via Z1 and excesses you, and you
lose. At least, if you're on oyster - i don't know quite how the gates
react to a paper Z23 in this situation.

Legally, it would be harder. Maybe:

Picc. to Caledonian Road.
Walk to NLL Caledonian Road station (not that far).

Or change at FP to the Vic, and then get the NLL at H&I.

NLL to Willesden Junc.
WLL to Clapham Junc.
Southern (I think it is these days) to Streatham Hill.

This would indeed be potty. I suggest biting the bullet and paying for a
cross-Z1 route!

tom

--
Sometimes it takes a madman like Iggy Pop before you can SEE the logic
really working.

Old May 21st 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

... and the system decides you've gone via Z1 and excesses you, and you
lose. At least, if you're on oyster - i don't know quite how the gates
react to a paper Z23 in this situation.

They always used to let you through.

Not that I'd be proud of flouting the rules or anything, but there have been
quite a few times when I've travelled from Wimbleware to White City,
changing at NH Gate, and passing through HS Ken (Zone 1).

I'm pretty sure I've also made far more obvious forays through little bits
of Z1 with a 2-6 paper Travelcard, and got away with it. Ealing Broadway to
Brixton a while ago, with no obvious non-Z1 route, and Ickenham to Tooting
Broadway fairly recently.

Legally, it would be harder. Maybe:

Picc. to Caledonian Road.
Walk to NLL Caledonian Road station (not that far).

Or change at FP to the Vic, and then get the NLL at H&I.

Yeah, I thought about that, but while the FP change is x-platform, there is
waiting time for a train, and the H&I change is pretty nasty. If the OP is a
quickish walker, getting out at Caledonian Road might be faster.

BTN

Old May 21st 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

Picc. to Caledonian Road.
Walk to NLL Caledonian Road station (not that far).

Or change at FP to the Vic, and then get the NLL at H&I.

Yeah, I thought about that, but while the FP change is x-platform, there
is waiting time for a train, and the H&I change is pretty nasty. If the
OP is a quickish walker, getting out at Caledonian Road might be faster.

Quite true. I've never done that change myself, so mentioned a route that
avoided it!

tom

--
GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN [...] will ultimately make all other forms of music
both redundant and unnecessary -- NTK