Old July 2nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Claphan Junction Disused platform 1

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:57:08 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

I would expect the SLL service from London Victoria to be replaced by
the ELL service to clapham junction. I think the Victoria - Denmark
Hill - Lewisham service does share tracks with this in one direction
through Denmark Hill, but it needn't.

Wouldn't that leave Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street without any
service to Central London? As I recall, there are no platforms on the
"Chatham" pair of tracks, only on the SLL pair.

Clapham High Street is an interchange with Clapham North, which has a
Northern Line service to central London.

Old July 2nd 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , asdf
writes

Clapham High Street is an interchange with Clapham North, which has a
Northern Line service to central London.

It wouldn't be much of replacement for the direct link between Clapham
High Street and Victoria, though.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 2nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Jul, 15:00, Paul Terry wrote:
Clapham High Street is an interchange with Clapham North, which has a
Northern Line service to central London.

It wouldn't be much of replacement for the direct link between Clapham
High Street and Victoria, though.

The best and quickest way (given train frequencies) to get from
Clapham High Street to Victoria at present is walk - Clapham North -
cross-platform change at Stockwell - Victoria.

The same would be true if the SLL services were all converted to
London Overground, obviously...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old July 2nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 2, 4:53 pm, John B wrote:
On 2 Jul, 15:00, Paul Terry wrote:

Clapham High Street is an interchange with Clapham North, which has a
Northern Line service to central London.

It wouldn't be much of replacement for the direct link between Clapham
High Street and Victoria, though.

The best and quickest way (given train frequencies) to get from
Clapham High Street to Victoria at present is walk - Clapham North -
cross-platform change at Stockwell - Victoria.

The same would be true if the SLL services were all converted to
London Overground, obviously...

I think the biggest change would be the loss of a route from Battersea
Park, but even that could be replaced by changing at Clapham Junction.

For example, I sometimes need to get from the South West to Denmark
Hill.

I currently change at Queenstown Road/Battersea Park, but in future I
would change at Clapham Junction instead.

I wonder if the future frequency on the SLL would rule out some
SouthEastern services calling at Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road
and Battersea Park?

Old July 2nd 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes

There is another option - if trains didn't visit Clapham Junction at
all, they could go from Imperial Wharf to Wandsworth Road directly,
without reversing. I don't have a track map to hand, but ISTR that this
can be done without conflicting movements across other tracks.

That is certainly true, but loss of connection at Clapham Junction
(Britain's busiest railway station)

ISTR that's only if you count all trains passing through, rather than
stopping - and changing from one of those to an orbital train there would
be a rather hair-raising feat!

would be a serious loss and would need the retention of the now popular
Clapham-Willesden service, thus restricting the viability of an
'orbirail' service that by-passed Clapham Junction.

I'm not suggesting that all trains go that way, but if there is demand for
cross-CJ services, that would be a way to do them. Such demand, by
definition, doesn't require a stop at CJ, so it's not such a loss.

To answer Tim's question, Willesden and Canada Water (or Surrey Canal Road
if there isn't capacity past the junction with the Croydon branch) would
be the natural termini.

tom

--
Well we know where we're going, but we don't know where we've been