Old August 14th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground station sight gag

Richard J. schrieb:
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed to
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

There?s indeed an undertaker called Bergemann (but without a son ;-) at
Jonasstrasse 7 in Berlin: www.bbest.de

However looking at their rather obscure website it?s highly unlikely
they are using this kind of PR.

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

Dominik, Berlin

Old August 15th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Dominik Tebarth wrote:

Richard J. schrieb:
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

Not London Underground. The third rail looks similar to the DLR in London,
but by enlarging the photo and trying a few guesses in Google, I managed to
decipher the bottom two lines of the advert as:

Funeral Services Bergmann & Sohn
Jonasstraße 7, [postcode] Berlin Tiergarten

So I assume it's in Berlin.

There?s indeed an undertaker called Bergemann (but without a son ;-) at
Jonasstrasse 7 in Berlin: www.bbest.de

However looking at their rather obscure website it?s highly unlikely they are
using this kind of PR.

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

It looks to me like a computer rendering of a 3D model. Can't really say
why; gut feeling. Something about the uniformity and cleanness of the
ceiling tiles and other bits (could just be German, of course).

No idea where it's a model of!

tom

--
They didn't have any answers - they just wanted weed and entitlement.
Old August 16th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Dominik Tebarth wrote:

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

It looks to me like a computer rendering of a 3D model. Can't really
say why; gut feeling. Something about the uniformity and cleanness of
the ceiling tiles and other bits (could just be German, of course).

You could be right -- the ceiling tiles look too large and aren't curved
enough.

Old August 16th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Dominik Tebarth wrote:

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

It looks to me like a computer rendering of a 3D model. Can't really
say why; gut feeling. Something about the uniformity and cleanness of
the ceiling tiles and other bits (could just be German, of course).

You could be right -- the ceiling tiles look too large and aren't curved
enough.

You are probably right about the tiling but I get a feeling that the
trackbed is actually a picture from some real metro system, maybe also
the platform but not really sure there.

It looks a bit like the DLR platforms at Bank but it could probably be
from any metro system with similar live-rail layout.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old August 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2007-08-16, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Recliner wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Dominik Tebarth wrote:

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

It looks to me like a computer rendering of a 3D model. Can't really
say why; gut feeling. Something about the uniformity and cleanness of
the ceiling tiles and other bits (could just be German, of course).

You could be right -- the ceiling tiles look too large and aren't curved
enough.

You are probably right about the tiling but I get a feeling that the
trackbed is actually a picture from some real metro system, maybe also
the platform but not really sure there.

It looks a bit like the DLR platforms at Bank but it could probably be
from any metro system with similar live-rail layout.

Nobody seems to have made anything of whatever it is on the right of
the tunnel mouth?

Eric

Old August 19th 07, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 16, 3:11 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Recliner wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Dominik Tebarth wrote:

The station is not in Berlin anyway = All made up.

It looks to me like a computer rendering of a 3D model. Can't really
say why; gut feeling. Something about the uniformity and cleanness of
the ceiling tiles and other bits (could just be German, of course).

You could be right -- the ceiling tiles look too large and aren't curved
enough.

You are probably right about the tiling but I get a feeling that the
trackbed is actually a picture from some real metro system, maybe also
the platform but not really sure there.

The thing that looks odd to me is that there's only the one
advertisement. Why would so much space be wasted? Something makes me
think that the wall at least has been put together by repeating one
section.

Old August 19th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2007-08-16, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

It looks a bit like the DLR platforms at Bank but it could probably be
from any metro system with similar live-rail layout.

Nobody seems to have made anything of whatever it is on the right of
the tunnel mouth?

You mean the fence and the dot-matrix display? The picture has too low
resolution to make out which kind of display and fence it is. But it is
red on black, or possibly yellow/orange/something-on-black, and in my
opinion looks quite similar to the DLR ones.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old August 19th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

The thing that looks odd to me is that there's only the one
advertisement. Why would so much space be wasted? Something makes me
think that the wall at least has been put together by repeating one
section.

I don't know about Berlin, but in London there aren't many adverts on
platforms which are neither in Zone 1 nor served by trains towards Zone1.
One advert on such a platform would not be unusual.

Old August 23rd 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:46:10 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen
wrote:

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

I think I may have found where it is. I happened to be looking at a book
(by Robert Schwandl) on the Hamburg metro system and there are two
stations - Messehallen and Hauptbahnhof Nord - which have ceiling
designs exactly like that shown. The tiling, platform and track also
look remarkably similar.

Quite where the advert fits in I don't know.

--
Paul C

Old August 26th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/sightgagbrowser.php?j=1128

Is this sight gag from a London underground station?

I think I may have found where it is. I happened to be looking at a book
(by Robert Schwandl) on the Hamburg metro system and there are two
stations - Messehallen and Hauptbahnhof Nord - which have ceiling
designs exactly like that shown. The tiling, platform and track also
look remarkably similar.

Look here

http://www.u-bahn-hamburg.com/html.p...LPages/pid/107

for pix of Messehallen station in Hamburg.