Old September 23rd 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
It will be because of the requirement that trains had to have at least
two compressors that dictated 6 car trains all the time.

Why? Each compressor car carried two compressors, therefore any unit
could operate as it's own train. Remember the ordinary 4 car 62 stock
sets on the Epping to Ongar route?
--
Clive.

Old September 23rd 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
The trailers mainly had one compressor, though, didn't they?

No, I think they all carried two compressors, but I'll happily be proved
wrong.
--
Clive.
Old September 23rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 22, 5:40 pm, "Clive." wrote:

As I remember my time on the Northern Line, trains were composed of four
and three car sets, each three car set being composed of only one
driving car and a panel driven (30000unit?) Now as all the driving
cars were either "A" or "D" end and as the units were uniform it would
suggest that all the 30000 units were either "A" or "D", I suspect "A".
At that time, only "A" and "D" units could couple under normal
circumstances. This is why I suspect press reports about six car
trains. As I've said I suspect the trains were only four cars long and
this came from seeing them in 16 foot tunnels and eight car platforms,
but if you can provide me with more accurate information, I'll happily
apologise and back down.
--
Clive.

From 1970 the Northern City fleet was maintaind by Neasden and had a

segregated fleet of 3 car 1938 stock units (they had to be segregated
as they had Northern Line maps). These ran as six car trains on the
branch.

The cars involved in the Moorgate collision were DM 11175, Trailer
012263, DM 10175, DM 11115, T 012167 and DM 10115.

Old September 24th 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

On 21 Sep, 19:23, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Mizter T wrote:

Bear in mind that the line would have found a number of new passengers
who would have started to make use of it from Highbury & Islington
southwards when the Victoria line opened

You reckon?

People coming from the north of the Vic line would've been best taking
the BR train to Liverpool Street.

[...] the North London Line ran from Richmond to Broad Street. (A less
direct route bit I can't imagine the journey time was much different.)

So it would seem that, from 1964 at least, the GN&CR (aka the Northern
City line) would mostly been a bit of interest to local passengers.
Certainly some reports suggest it was a bit of a backwater even before
it got cut back from Finsbury Park (after all, if it'd been a crucial
link it wouldn't have been evicted from FP) - it only really came into
its own from '76 onwards, fulfilling it's originally intended purpose.

That's what i would have thought. And yet ...

What i hadn't realised is that, as John Band pointed out, there *was* a
link from the GN to the GN&CR at that time, it just wasn't the one we
have now.

Yes. What I've read suggests the setup would not have been remotely
suitable for running a proper service up to the GN though.

Evidently. Enough to put something like 8 tph through in the peaks,
though, from what Paul Terry says (depending on how long the morning peak
is!).

And... I've just remembered something else that's crucial to all this
talk, d'oh! Pre-'76 many of the GN suburban trains in fact went on from
Kings Cross to Moorgate via the widened lines

Aha! Good point.

All of which does make it a bit surprising that there were 300 people on
board at the time of the Moorgate disaster. I wonder where they'd come
from. Were other lines out that day? Did lots of people come in off buses?
Are we just completely wrong about this being a bad route?

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs, are *utterly
meaningless*. -- Dehnadi and Bornat
Old September 24th 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Evidently. Enough to put something like 8 tph through in the peaks,
though, from what Paul Terry says (depending on how long the morning
peak is!).

Those are via the Canonbury Curve to Broad St, not the GN&CR, although
I've no idea how good the Canonbury Curve's connection to the GN was at
the time.

All of which does make it a bit surprising that there were 300 people on
board at the time of the Moorgate disaster. I wonder where they'd come
from. Were other lines out that day? Did lots of people come in off
buses? Are we just completely wrong about this being a bad route?

With the interchange at Highbury, it would have been be the best route
from the north end of the Victoria into the City, and changing to the
Victoria at Finsbury Park a decent route from the Piccadilly and
KX-bound suburbans.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

1938 Stock Tour [email protected] London Transport 1 August 27th 07 08:46 PM
Hit tours Nicole London Transport 1 August 18th 06 11:56 AM
Down Street Tours TheOneKEA London Transport 0 August 18th 04 07:22 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 09:17 AM
Tours of the London Underground simon London Transport 7 November 24th 03 06:39 PM