Old August 20th 03, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fares From January 2004

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:52 GMT Neil Williams
said...

(snips)
As for gbp2 single on the Tube zone 1, it's a complete rip-off,
blatently targeted at visitors and tourists.

I wouldn't say the increase targeted at visitors & tourists as many would
tend to opt for Travelcards, the ODTC for Zones 1 & 2 for example is
going up only by 10p for example.

The biggest hike has got to be for those that regularly Travel in Z1 only
especially the Weekly Travelcard & Carnets. I think the biggest outcry
will come from those that live & work or whatever in Z1.

Looking at the prices, a pre-pay Z1 single is £1.60 - but the Carnet is
£1.50 and the normal weekday single is £2.00! So does that mean it's cheaper
to buy a paper-based Carnet than use Oyster, or will you be able to load a
£1.50 Carnet onto an Oystercard?

I also thought that the system would just charge you for a Travelcard if the
cost of your journeys that day exceeded £4.20 (new Z12 price) - so if I make
two tube journeys and two bus journeys all in Z1, I get charged for a
Travelcard and not two Carnet tickets and two Saver tickets. But some people
seem to be saying this will not be the case because the system will not
handle Travelcards?

My personal reaction to the new fares as an occasional traveller on both bus
and tube mainly in Z1 is that I will probably use the buses a lot more and
the tube less in 2004 as compared to last year. (Although it might pay to
buy a few Carnets before January!) I'm also hoping the prepay Oystercard
will work well for me.

I'm quite interested by the weekend pre-pay prices (flat fare of £1.80 for
any journey passing through Z1). Previously, when making any journey to the
outer zones it would be cheaper to get a travelcard than two single
tickets - but now that's not the case.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 20th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stevie wrote in message m...

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying the
same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using Oystercard.

Presumably this confirms that Oyster pre-pay will be available by the
time the new fares come in, otherwise we will all be paying the
increase.

I look forward to pre-pay being available, but I presume you will
always have to have at least enough credit on your card for the most
expensive tube-fare since the system will not know where you are going
until you get off – (someone please explain if I’m wrong,
I often am!).

I think I would prefer a ‘post-pay’ system, a much better
customer-service. Given their huge financial turnover I can’t
see any reason why TfL shouldn’t set up Oyster credit accounts
(just like your gas bill or credit card) and send out monthly bills
for your travel. Non-payment needn’t be much of a problem if
they made it direct-debit only.
Old August 20th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stevie wrote in message m...

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying the
same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using Oystercard.

Presumably this means Oyster daily pre-pay will be fully available by
the time the new fares come in, otherwise we will all be paying the
increase.

I look forward to pre-pay being available, but I presume you will
always have to have at least enough credit on your card for the most
expensive tube-fare since the system will not know where you are going
until you get off (someone please explain if I'm wrong, I often am!).

I think I would prefer a 'post-pay' system, a much better
customer-service. Given their huge financial turnover I can't see any
reason why TfL shouldn't set up Oyster credit accounts (just like your
gas bill or credit card) and send out monthly bills for your travel.
Non-payment needn't be much of a problem if they made it direct-debit
only.

(re-posted to make it readable!)
Old August 20th 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:25:16 +0100 Dave Arquati wrote:
}
} My personal reaction to the new fares as an occasional traveller on both bus
} and tube mainly in Z1 is that I will probably use the buses a lot more and
} the tube less in 2004 as compared to last year.

That may be the intent behind the fare changes as while the Underground
is essentially at capacity a lot of money has been spent providing new
bus services and more busses on existing routes which remain
underutilised.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.

Old August 20th 03, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:35:35 +0100, Stevie wrote:

CJG wrote:
Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.
And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going up to?

[snip]

However, apparently this increases are only for people buying tickets
with cash. If you use Oystercard prepay then the prices are staying the
same - it's all part of some grand plan to get everyone using Oystercard.

No, it's a grand plan to remove cash fares from buses.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old August 20th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil Richards" wrote in message

hundreds of bus stops in Central London have had the
new self service ticket machines installed in recent
weeks, it looks like the whole system will be cash
free by 2005/6. That's assuming TfL plan to put
machines at each & every stop for those who
still want to pay cash.

What about Hail & Ride buses?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 20th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:10:33 +0100, CJG
wrote:

Apparently all fares are going up by 25% on the Tube.

No they aren't. I suggest you read and fully digest the TfL press
announcement and associated document with all of the fare levels listed
in it.

And the 70p bus fare is going up to £1. I guess the £1 fare is going up
to?

Only if you pay cash. 70p is ridiculously cheap for bus travel compared
to commercial rates in the remainder of the country.

Anyway 25%???? Just a tiny bit over the rate of inflation then?

Not all fares are going up by 25%.

Anyway I think considering LU fares are a rip off already. 25% rise is
just taking the ****.
But then thankfully I won't be living in London by next year. So Im not
all that bothered.

Lucky Yorkshire or wherever it is you are moving to. Tell us when
you're leaving - I'm sure we'll come to wave you off.

I do feel sorry for commuters who to be honest do pay over the odds for
a **** service.

That's nice.

The thing is. LU provide a service like they do. Then charge these
fares. And then can't understand why people are queuing up to bash them.

Here you go again - trying to justify assaults on LUL staff. Have you
tried an anger management course?
--
Paul C
Old August 20th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Here you go again - trying to justify assaults on LUL staff. Have you
tried an anger management course?

He did, but ended up hitting the tutor! ;-)