Old December 18th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default St P.I..L.L Impressions.

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Graeme Wall" wrote

Which leaves a 3 to 4 metre platform which would be adequate I should
think. According to How The Underground Works (LT 1968) Ministry of
Transport limits were 6 ft (1.82m) for a single platform and 12 ft
(3.66m)
for an island platform. Tube station platforms are normally 10'6". (3.2)

I would be wary of an island platform of minimum width at a station which
is
likely to be crowded, especially if there is a serviec disruption. I know
the Claphams on the Northern Line are well below current standards, but
before Angel was rebuilt I felt very apprehensive there.

The only real advantage of having island platforms at SPILL will be if
trains arrive off the Midland and Great Northern Lines together they will
be
able to unload either side of the island, instead of one having to wait
outside.

Peter

Old December 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:39:04 on Tue,
18 Dec 2007, Sky Rider remarked:
They do indeed. Used them for that last week (and to pick up tickets
I'd ordered for delivery elsewhere).

Presumably by publishing a list of stations with ToD functionality, it
helps to limit the number of people trying to collect pre-paid tickets
from a location that isn't listed.

I can see how listing stations specifically might reduce the confusion
about where tickets can be collected. Then they go spoil it by having
machines at StP which advertise ticket collection and don't allow it!

Incidentally, I was very surprised not to find any domestic ticket
machines in the vicinity of the Eurostar booking office. The domestic
booking office is a long way off the beaten track for EMT customers if
you've just arrived on E*, or from the tube station out front.

But the whole Platform 1-4 thing still feels very poorly thought
through. No bar or seating, no toilets, and no booking facility;
anywhere in the immediate vicinity.

Now that the station is fully open it's even more apparent what a stupid
idea it was not to have some escalators down from the P1-4 concourse to
(eg) the same place as the FCC escalators go down.
Old December 18th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

The only real advantage of having island platforms at SPILL will be if
trains arrive off the Midland and Great Northern Lines together they will
be
able to unload either side of the island, instead of one having to wait
outside.

Not quite the only advantage. If you have completely independent southbound
routes up to the starters at the end of the platform, then a train from the
ECML can pull into platform X as a train is leaving platform Y, even if the
two are not at the platform simultaneously. It makes it more likely that 24
trains per hour will be possible.

Regards

Jonathan

Old December 18th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 21:52, Roland Perry wrote:

Now that the station is fully open it's even more apparent what a stupid
idea it was not to have some escalators down from the P1-4 concourse to
(eg) the same place as the FCC escalators go down.

I think that it's also rather silly that there are signs for "UK rail
tickets" - and two totally separate ticket offices next door to each
other. One for East Midlands and one for FCC. I guess SET will get one
of their own too when they start!

How or why does a tourist want to worry about where to queue up. Sure,
most will sell tickets for each other but that makes it even more
nonsensical!

And, for the last day or so the information screens haven't been
working at platform/station entrance level (but do seem to work on the
200 mile long departure boards) and I also noticed (sad journo that I
am) that they've got the platform letters in lower case on at least
one sign!!

Still, at least they seem to have turned down the water pressure on
the toilet sinks - so you don't give yourself a shower when you wash
your hands! Also keeps the floor a bit less slippery at the same
time!!

Jonathan

Old December 18th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article 5772d5e1-0b86-4b95-a1b7-64e68bfd6144
@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com, says...
On 18 Dec, 21:52, Roland Perry wrote:

Now that the station is fully open it's even more apparent what a stupid
idea it was not to have some escalators down from the P1-4 concourse to
(eg) the same place as the FCC escalators go down.

I think that it's also rather silly that there are signs for "UK rail
tickets" - and two totally separate ticket offices next door to each
other. One for East Midlands and one for FCC. I guess SET will get one
of their own too when they start!

I wondered that when I was there yesterday. The FCC ticket office had
quite a queue building up even with all the ticket windows open, but the
EMT ticket office next door was empty. There appeared to be no clear
guidance over which ticket office to use, so I expect most people were
just using the first one they came across. I assume there is no
incentive for FCC to direct some of their customers to the EMT office as
they will lose the commission on the sale.

And, for the last day or so the information screens haven't been
working at platform/station entrance level (but do seem to work on the
200 mile long departure boards)

These also stopped working when I was yesterday evening. The screens on
the Low Level platforms were just displaying 'listen to announcements
for details'.

The whole station still seemed unfinished to me. I can't understand why
a lot of the retail units have still not been fitted out. If WHS and M&S
can manage by the opening, why are others struggling weeks later? At the
moment it hasn't got the feel of a shopping centre, which they were
aiming for, nor a station.

Personally I think there are too many fancy shops. Most of the
passengers there, e.g. domestic travellers, I'm sure will just want
snacks and something to read on the journey. Those retailers that have
been allowed in, such as WHSmith, have units far too small for the
number of passengers trying to use them.

Duncan
Old December 18th 07, 10:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

I can see how listing stations specifically might reduce the confusion
about where tickets can be collected. Then they go spoil it by having
machines at StP which advertise ticket collection and don't allow it!

All the more reason for FCC to enable the ToD functionality on their
machines. I've noticed those particular machines have a thin circular
plate, which I imagine marks the spot for an Oyster pad in due course.

Incidentally, I was very surprised not to find any domestic ticket
machines in the vicinity of the Eurostar booking office. The domestic
booking office is a long way off the beaten track for EMT customers if
you've just arrived on E*, or from the tube station out front.

Given the number of visitors that use StP nowdays, you'd have to think
quite carefully where to put any additional ticket machines (if we're
talking about the Arcade or other public Eurostar walkways). Would
Eurostar allow domestic operators to install ticket machines in their
areas I wonder?

But the whole Platform 1-4 thing still feels very poorly thought
through. No bar or seating, no toilets, and no booking facility;
anywhere in the immediate vicinity.

There is some basic seating on the MML concourse (unless it's been
removed recently), but I think they could fit a couple of ticket
machines in the area without much work. The lack of facilities in the
immediate vicinty is a shame but personally I'm not too bothered by that
(admittedly I am one of the few who see it that way).

Now that the station is fully open it's even more apparent what a stupid
idea it was not to have some escalators down from the P1-4 concourse to
(eg) the same place as the FCC escalators go down.

Some parts of StP are still closed off - various units in the Arcade and
Rendezvous (including the Brasserie, which is possibly on a par with the
M&S Circle store in terms of floorspace), the Market proper, most of the
Circle, escalators/stairs to the CTRL-DS concourse/CTRL-DS
platforms/KXSP Northern Ticket Hall, and the CTRL-DS concourse/platforms.
Old December 18th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Duncan wrote:
I wondered that when I was there yesterday. The FCC ticket office had
quite a queue building up even with all the ticket windows open, but the
EMT ticket office next door was empty. There appeared to be no clear
guidance over which ticket office to use, so I expect most people were
just using the first one they came across.

For some reason the MML (EMT) ticket office never seems to be fully
staffed, although as you say it isn't that busy. Once the high-speed
Southeastern services commence in 2 years then the use of both ticket
offices will increase significantly.

I assume there is no incentive for FCC to direct some of their customers
to the EMT office as they will lose the commission on the sale.

An interesting point. Once Southeastern move in I wonder whether they'll
sell tickets themselves or just leave it to the existing TOCs at StP -
in any case there won't be any more ticket office booths/stalls if the
map on the official StP website is accurate.

These also stopped working when I was yesterday evening. The screens on
the Low Level platforms were just displaying 'listen to announcements
for details'.

The whole station still seemed unfinished to me.

In fact, the station *is* unfinished - the bulk of the remaining work
will be complete next year (see further comments for details).

I can't understand why a lot of the retail units have still not been
fitted out. If WHS and M&S can manage by the opening, why are others
struggling weeks later? At the moment it hasn't got the feel of a
shopping centre, which they were aiming for, nor a station.

The retailers aren't responsible for the retail fit-out works. The
fit-out works in general were behind schedule (I watched the recent
documentary on StP a few weeks ago) and the station was 'opened' on
November 14 only because the Eurostar fit-out works were prioritised.
The guy responsible for getting the retailers in place was quite ****ed
off when the decision was taken to put the retail fit-out on the back
burner, but it was a decision that most certainly spared the blushes of
LCR as the station may otherwise have not been ready for Eurostar
services on November 14.

Personally I think there are too many fancy shops. Most of the
passengers there, e.g. domestic travellers, I'm sure will just want
snacks and something to read on the journey. Those retailers that have
been allowed in, such as WHSmith, have units far too small for the
number of passengers trying to use them.

As you have gathered LCR have gone for an upmarket theme at StP, but
there will be some High-Street brands coming on stream over the coming
year (2008). Most of those units are in the Circle (located adjacent to
the domestic ticket office and currently hoarded off) and are being
fitted out.

Here are the maps of StP if you're interested:
Street level - http://tinyurl.com/yqtmxv
Platform level - http://tinyurl.com/2zebvy
Old December 18th 07, 11:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

jonmorris wrote:
I think that it's also rather silly that there are signs for "UK rail
tickets" - and two totally separate ticket offices next door to each
other. One for East Midlands and one for FCC. I guess SET will get one
of their own too when they start!

Unless their plans change, there won't be any more ticket offices in
StP. See http://tinyurl.com/yqtmxv for details (the domestic ticket
offices are just above 'THE CIRCLE').

How or why does a tourist want to worry about where to queue up. Sure,
most will sell tickets for each other but that makes it even more
nonsensical!

That'll be something for Network Rail to consider now that StP is the
18th (current) station in their 'Major Stations' portfolio, although it
is the only one that they don't own. Interestingly enough, that now
means that the car park is no longer jointly operated (as it was since
the equivalent facility off Battle Bridge Road was closed to new
entrants for KXSE purposes on November 14).

And, for the last day or so the information screens haven't been
working at platform/station entrance level (but do seem to work on the
200 mile long departure boards) and I also noticed (sad journo that I
am) that they've got the platform letters in lower case on at least
one sign!!

The offending sign is at the bottom of the staircase on the southbound
platform. For such a small thing I find it somewhat irritating!

In 20 years the long PIS board may become as much a landmark as the
Solari board at London Liverpool Street was shortly before its removal.

Still, at least they seem to have turned down the water pressure on
the toilet sinks - so you don't give yourself a shower when you wash
your hands! Also keeps the floor a bit less slippery at the same
time!!

About time too. And credit to LCR for deciding not to introduce an entry
fee either (the income from retailers is helpful in that respect),
although with NR in charge of station operations that may change.