Old February 5th 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston - Northern Line (City Branch)

Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston? (at least I
think it's the City branch - will double check the platform number tomorrow)
From last week certainly around 7:40am, there has been no Edgware branch
train indicated for at least 15 mins when I've come off the Victoria Line
southbound.
No major hassle as I just get the first High Barnet train and change to the
Edgware branch at Camden Town, but it's starting to annoy me now.
Don't recall seeing any posters or info from TfL and what info I have seen
has been weekend work mostly and affecting the Bank / High Barnet Branch
(actually quicker to do this than get to the other platform at Euston)

Nicola

Old February 5th 08, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Feb, 18:46, "Nicola Redwood" nicolaexternal-
wrote:
Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston? (at least I
think it's the City branch - will double check the platform number tomorrow)
From last week certainly around 7:40am, there has been no Edgware branch
train indicated for at least 15 mins when I've come off the Victoria Line
southbound.
No major hassle as I just get the first High Barnet train and change to the
Edgware branch at Camden Town, but it's starting to annoy me now.
Don't recall seeing any posters or info from TfL and what info I have seen
has been weekend work mostly and affecting the Bank / High Barnet Branch
(actually quicker to do this than get to the other platform at Euston)

Nicola

There have been signs at London Bridge stating that all trains in the
morning peak from the Bank branch will go to High Barnet. So you do
have to change at Camden Town.
Old February 5th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Don't recall seeing any posters or info from TfL and what info I have seen
has been weekend work mostly and affecting the Bank / High Barnet Branch
(actually quicker to do this than get to the other platform at Euston)

I've seen a couple of posters about it. Starting last Monday, all City
branch trains go to High Barnet during morning rush hour.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 5th 08, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I think there was a new timetable brought in and thats prob changed the
routing of some trains at various times.

Old February 5th 08, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Tue, 5 Feb
2008 19:40:06 in uk.transport.london, Frank Incense
writes
I think there was a new timetable brought in and thats prob changed the
routing of some trains at various times.

Somewhere other than on the Northern line this morning, I heard platform
PA reporting no Edgware service on the Northern line Bank branch.
I find it irritating that LU refers to the Bank branch everywhere, other
than at Euston, where they refer to the City branch. I dislike the
double nomenclature.

The following from the journey planner showing through trains suggests
there may have been a timetable change.

Departing: Wednesday 06 February 2008 at: 08:00
From: King's Cross St.Pancras Underground Station
To: Chalk Farm
Restrictions:
Route Depart Arrive Duration
1 08:49 09:00 00:11 change
2 08:54 09:02 00:08 through
3 09:20 09:29 00:09 through
4 10:19 10:26 00:07 through

I requested "Routes with the fewest changes".

At Moorgate, just after 06.30, the only two trains displayed had High
Barnet destinations.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old February 5th 08, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Nicola Redwood wrote:

Anyone know if there is any reason behind a distinct lack of Northern Line
trains northbound to Edgware from the City Branch at Euston?

Yes. It's due to a lack of Northern line trains northbound to Edgware on
the City branch at King's Cross.

HTH.

tom

--
Baby got a masterplan. A foolproof masterplan.
Old February 6th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Walter Briscoe wrote:

I find it irritating that LU refers to the Bank branch everywhere, other
than at Euston, where they refer to the City branch. I dislike the
double nomenclature.

Surely not as irritating as the fictional "Camden Town, Bank Branch"
and "Camden Town, Charing Cross Branch" which I keep hearing about.

Yes, arranging it so that the southbound split at Camden happened
north of the station would have been a far better arrangement, but
that didn't happen. What's wrong with just saying, "This train is for
Morden, via Bank", or whatever? If Mornington Crescent closed again,
would we suddenly start hearing about the "Edgware Branch" and "High
Barnet Branch" at Euston?
Old February 6th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At 12:30:45 on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 Sarah Brown opined:-

In article ,
Walter Briscoe wrote:

I find it irritating that LU refers to the Bank branch everywhere, other
than at Euston, where they refer to the City branch. I dislike the
double nomenclature.

Surely not as irritating as the fictional "Camden Town, Bank Branch"
and "Camden Town, Charing Cross Branch" which I keep hearing about.

Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.
--
Thoss
Old February 6th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
thoss wrote:
Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

I think that this is likely when the branches are split (ie, all
Charing X trains go to Edgeware and all Bank trains go to to Edgeware.
Or the other way round).

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash
Old February 6th 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JL JL is offline

Maybe they should split the Northern into two notionally separate lines,
Northern Bank Line and Northern Charing Cross Line.

That's exactly what TfL want to do.

Quote Wikipedia:

" TfL's Transport 2025 - Transport vision for a growing world [4]
confirms their ambition to split the Northern line into two segregated
routes. Running trains between all combinations of branches, as is
currently done, means only 22-25 trains per hour can run on each of
the central sections, because merging trains have to wait for each
other at the junctions. Segregating the routes will allow 30 trains
per hour on all parts of the system. However, Camden Town tube station
would need to be rebuilt before this could be implemented, as the
current station would not be able to cope with the increased number of
passengers changing trains there. LUL have however had problems
gaining bureaucratic approval of redevelopment plans[5]. "