Old August 29th 03, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default BBC's UK's Worst

I mean, you _know_ if you buy a house on the North Circular or a railway
line that it's going to be noisy. And I'm sure the price paid also
reflected this.

The Man's defence was that when he bought the house it was a 2 lane road
--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

Old August 29th 03, 08:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"CJG" wrote in message
In message , Joe Patrick
writes
Just Featured a man complaining about the noise on the North Circular,
a woman complaining about trams and a family whos garden got sucked in
a hole by the CTRL works. CTRL won and featured Howard who was put
infront of a video clip putting the award in a tunnel.

North Circular and trams were there before the people moved in.

The chap on the north circular moved in 41 years ago when the road was
narrow and quiet.

MrBitsy.

Old August 29th 03, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Barry Emmott" wrote
the following in:

Nobody, so far, has mentioned that there were apparently old wells
at the back of the house and it was they which had caused the void
into which the house almost fell. True it might not have happened
if the CTRL machine hadn't been boring under the gardens but it
would be nice if people would give ALL the facts occasionally !!
Barry Emmott

Ah, I see. I would have given that fact if I'd been aware of it. I must
have missed that part of the programme.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.
Old August 29th 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Rich Mackin" wrote in message

At the time the chap moved into the house by the North Circular, 41 years

ago, it was just a regular street

The North Circular has not been a "Regular Street" for many years and
certainly was not 41 years ago. You are talking about 1962 here. The M1 had
been opened from Watford to Crick, with the M10 spur to St Albans. The level
of traffic may not have been today's, but the road was a major traffic
artery, and was the only realistic option to going through Central London
(Which could often be quicker).
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old August 29th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article , MrBitsy raymondkeattch@
HATschofields.com writes
The chap on the north circular moved in 41 years ago when the road was
narrow and quiet.

The NC wasn't quiet 41 years ago. Both the North and South Circulars
have been famous for jams since at least WW2. (41 years ago I lived
about a mile from the SS).
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers
Old August 29th 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Robin May" wrote in message
"Barry Emmott" wrote
the following in:

Nobody, so far, has mentioned that there were apparently old wells
at the back of the house and it was they which had caused the void
into which the house almost fell. True it might not have happened
if the CTRL machine hadn't been boring under the gardens but it
would be nice if people would give ALL the facts occasionally !!
Barry Emmott

Ah, I see. I would have given that fact if I'd been aware of it. I must
have missed that part of the programme.

--

I don't think that was mentioned in the programme.

Andrew

Old August 30th 03, 09:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:35:20 +0100, "Rich Mackin"
wrote:

Never understood this kind of wingeing ****e.

I mean, you _know_ if you buy a house on the North Circular or a railway
line that it's going to be noisy. And I'm sure the price paid also
reflected this.

At the time the chap moved into the house by the North Circular,
41 years ago, it was just a regular street, so it's something that
has happened while he's been living there.

My parents went to visit relatives who lived on " *The* North Circular
*Road " before the war. It's obvious a road given a "Proper Name" like
that, as opposed to "Green Lane", say, was always destined to be a
significant traffic artery, like "The Great North Road", or "The
Western Avenue".

I used the N.C.R. to get to work between Harrow Rd. and Muswell Hill
in 1969 and FWIR is not significantly different now apart from some
junction improvements squeezed in.

DG
Old August 30th 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In article , derek
writes
I used the N.C.R. to get to work between Harrow Rd. and Muswell Hill
in 1969 and FWIR is not significantly different now apart from some
junction improvements squeezed in.

The bit from the M4 to the A1 is pretty much the same (including a
stretch that's still single carriageway!), although there are some
significant widenings on the eastern sections.

Do we know where the complainant lives?
Old August 30th 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:26:15 -0400, Roland Perry wrote:
Do we know where the complainant lives?

From the small bit I saw I would say about he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...186898&A=Y&Z=1

David

Worst Welcome MaxB London Transport 15 March 14th 06 09:57 AM
Worst ten commutes Dave Arquati London Transport 9 December 13th 04 09:30 AM
Which bus-stop is best? Which is worst? Sir Benjamin Nunn London Transport 0 September 16th 04 11:30 AM
Worst map ever John Rowland London Transport 2 February 24th 04 08:25 PM
The Worst Tube Station in London....were is it... ronnie biggs London Transport 56 July 29th 03 06:54 PM