Old August 30th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC's UK's Worst

In article , David Walters
writes
Do we know where the complainant lives?

From the small bit I saw I would say about he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...186898&A=Y&Z=1

Ha! Right by Staples Corner, which has been an infamous bottleneck since
time began (and when the Staples in question was a furniture store, not
an office equipment superstore).
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers

Old August 31st 03, 01:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On 28 Aug 2003 22:11:38 GMT Robin May wrote:
}
} I had no sympathy whatsoever for the woman living by the tram line
} though. She'd known about it when she bought it and gave a weak excuse
} along the lines of "I liked the garden and the size, and the trams have
} got louder since I bought the house". If you're worried about noise,
} don't buy a house next to a tram line! Pretty simple, I'd have thought.

Like the chap who threatened to sue us because of the noise of our gate
being used at night.

Having moved into his warehouse conversion at however many thousend
pounds you'd have hoped that he'd realise that there were implications
to having a 24 hour business less than 10 yards away across the street.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.
Old August 31st 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Malthouse" wrote in message
.. .
Like the chap who threatened to sue us because of the noise of our gate
being used at night.

Like the people moaning about light aircraft using an aerodrome built during
WWII which predates most of the housing. It has been in continual use ever
since which I know as I was born in one of the houses built immediately
post-war. The occasional light aircraft going overhead was part of the sound
of summer as a lad.
Fair to say aircraft use has increased a little but the whingers seem to
resent the fact some people choose to spend some of their disposable income
flying around pointlessly rather than doing another pointless (in)activity
that meets with their approval :-)

Pete

Old August 31st 03, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter B wrote:
"Matthew Malthouse" wrote
in message
.. .
Like the chap who threatened to sue us because of the
noise of our gate being used at night.

Like the people moaning about light aircraft using an
aerodrome built during WWII which predates most of the
housing. It has been in continual use ever since which I
know as I was born in one of the houses built immediately
post-war. The occasional light aircraft going overhead was
part of the sound of summer as a lad.
Fair to say aircraft use has increased a little but the
whingers seem to resent the fact some people choose to
spend some of their disposable income flying around
pointlessly rather than doing another pointless
(in)activity that meets with their approval :-)

I'm told there are even people who object to others "talking" to each other
via the internet. Don't see the problem myself.

Old August 31st 03, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

David Walters wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:26:15 -0400, Roland Perry wrote:
Do we know where the complainant lives?

From the small bit I saw I would say about he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...186898&A=Y&Z=1

Which shows a position not too far from Brent Terrace, which was
discussed a couple of weeks ago on uk.railway.
IIRC there was a link to a map from pre-1920 in that thread, which
showed the NC Road,whcih had just been built.
When it was widened to the current 6 lanes, i have no idea,but I'm sure
it was pre 1980.
Alan.
--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

Old August 31st 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In article , David Walters
writes
Do we know where the complainant lives?

From the small bit I saw I would say about he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...186898&A=Y&Z=1

Ha! Right by Staples Corner, which has been an infamous bottleneck since
time began (and when the Staples in question was a furniture store, not
an office equipment superstore).
--

Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in spite

Andrew

Old September 1st 03, 04:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew" typed

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In article , David Walters
writes
Do we know where the complainant lives?

From the small bit I saw I would say about he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...186898&A=Y&Z=1

Ha! Right by Staples Corner, which has been an infamous bottleneck since
time began (and when the Staples in question was a furniture store, not
an office equipment superstore).
--

Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in spite
of their presence.

Staples Mattresses had a good reputation. I think that's where they were made.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 1st 03, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

In article , Andrew
writes
Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in spite
of their presence.

I'm not sure when the furniture store closed. Guessing wildly, perhaps
15 years ago? I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers which corner
of the junction had the Staples store, and did it close before or after
the E/W North Circular flyover was built.

The office equipment store was their 2nd or 3rd in the UK [I forget if
it or the Cambridge one opened earliest]. Oddly, the PC World across the
road was also the third one of those (and before it was bought by
Dixons), the first being Croydon, second at Lakeside.

The Staples was built on the site of the former B&Q which was damaged by
the IRA bombing of the flyover (Oct 8th 93), and without doing more
research probably opened in the summer of 94 (that N/S flyover was still
closed). B&Q didn't want to redevelop the site as they were only opening
"B&Q Depots" at the time, and the site wasn't big enough.
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"
Old September 1st 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

The office equipment store was their 2nd or 3rd in the UK [I forget if
it or the Cambridge one opened earliest].

The office equipment store in Cambridge opened when I was a fourth year
student; late 93 or early 94. Before that it was a DIY store -
Homebase? Before they took over Texas and moved to the Beehive? I could be
wrong.

Gareth
--
http://www.rumnies.com/ Gareth Marlow

C-3P0:I do believe they think I am some kind of god.
Old September 1st 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:01:13 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In article , Andrew
writes
Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in spite
of their presence.

I'm not sure when the furniture store closed. Guessing wildly, perhaps
15 years ago?

Staples Mattress moved from Staples Corner to Huntingdon in 1986
acording to http://www.myersbeds.co.uk/st_staplescorner.html

I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers which corner
of the junction had the Staples store, and did it close before or after
the E/W North Circular flyover was built.

The myersbeds page refers to a northbound flyover opening in 1976
but I assume that is the A5.

David

Worst Welcome MaxB London Transport 15 March 14th 06 09:57 AM
Worst ten commutes Dave Arquati London Transport 9 December 13th 04 09:30 AM
Which bus-stop is best? Which is worst? Sir Benjamin Nunn London Transport 0 September 16th 04 11:30 AM
Worst map ever John Rowland London Transport 2 February 24th 04 08:25 PM
The Worst Tube Station in London....were is it... ronnie biggs London Transport 56 July 29th 03 06:54 PM