Old March 17th 08, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Jumping the single track at Finsbury Park

Paul Weaver wrote:

A colleague of mine did successfully jump the middle track at White
City, which seems rather stupid being DC lines (I believe current
should be switched off in stations when a train isn't approaching, not
something I'd risk though)

When you say "current should be switched off" I'm unclear as to
whether you mean that is how you think it should work in an ideal
world for added safety, or whether that is actually how you think it
does work right now.

Because UIVMM the current most certainly isn't switched off in
stations when a train isn't about, the live rails remain live all the
time - train or no train.

Which makes what your colleague did pretty reckless. I wonder if he
did it under the false impression that all would be well even if he
did fall and hit the live rails?

Old March 17th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:

The upcoming arrangement at Stratford for the westbound Central line
will mean the doors will open on both sides, but that only really gets
one onto the island platform for westbound mainline trains to
Liverpool St only. Most passengers wanting these will likely approach
said platform via the stairs.

But if you arrive from, say Ilford, and want the DLR or the future
overbridge to the shopping centre and the Olympic site/Northern
Ticket Hall, stepping through a Central Line train will save you an
unnecessary trip down to ground level.

By the time this is in place, won't the mini bridge to the DLR platforms
have reopened?

Old March 17th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 17 Mar, 11:02, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
01:44:28 on Mon, 17 Mar 2008, furnessvale
remarked:

I was once working a boat down the Oxford canal when I
came across a youth who was jumping across the lock rather than
walking to the far gates. �About 8ft wide so nearly the same width.

I was going to mention jumping narrow locks, which few people seem happy
about attempting. They are 7ft wide (plus a little extra in places), not
8ft, though.

Narrow locks are about 7ft 3ins wide at the bottom (my boat was 7ft
0.5ins wide. Some boats have spread to 7ft 2ins and still get through
most locks). When you allow for the batter up to the top they come
out at about 8ft on average.

George
Old March 17th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
09:31:41 on Mon, 17 Mar 2008, furnessvale
remarked:
Narrow locks are about 7ft 3ins wide at the bottom (my boat was 7ft
0.5ins wide. Some boats have spread to 7ft 2ins and still get through
most locks). When you allow for the batter up to the top they come
out at about 8ft on average.

Having scraped down both sides of some locks in a 6ft 10inch boat, I
suspect we'll have to agree that they vary quite a bit.
Old March 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 17 Mar, 16:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
09:31:41 on Mon, 17 Mar 2008, furnessvale
remarked:

Narrow locks are about 7ft 3ins wide at the bottom (my boat was 7ft
0.5ins wide. �Some boats have spread to 7ft 2ins and still get through
most locks). �When you allow for the batter up to the top they come
out at about 8ft on average.

Having scraped down both sides of some locks in a 6ft 10inch boat, I
suspect we'll have to agree that they vary quite a bit.

I went through most narrow locks with my boat ( and others have
certainly taken her through any I missed). I only stuck once on width
and that was top Marston Doles which was reknown for hanging up
working boats. However I have had trouble on numerous occasions on
length.

George

Old March 17th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

furnessvale wrote:
On 16 Mar, 20:02, Mr Thant
wrote:
Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Slightly OT. I was once working a boat down the Oxford canal when I
came across a youth who was jumping across the lock rather than
walking to the far gates. About 8ft wide so nearly the same width.

George

Hi George

Hope you are well.

Grannybuttons has a photo of someone jumping over at Kings Norton:
http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_..._stop_loc.html

On narrow canals I happily step across from or to a closed gate, that
always feels more than 4' ! If only I could do the same round London ...

--
Richard
Old March 17th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 17 Mar, 09:51, Stimpy wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:44:28 +0000, furnessvale wrote

Slightly OT. I was once working a boat down the Oxford canal when I
came across a youth who was jumping across the lock rather than
walking to the far gates. About 8ft wide so nearly the same width.

I have a mill race running past the office in which I'm writing this. It's
about 2m wide with vertical stone walls and a 2m drop to the fast-running
stream below. My cat used to leap over it rather than walk down the garden to
the bridge.

Wet moggy! The cat is still around though, right?
Old March 17th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:38:32 +0000, Mizter T wrote

Note the phrase 'used to' :-)

Wet moggy! The cat is still around though, right?

Definitely... She occasionally sits next to the stream and looks across but
always walks the long way round

Old March 17th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ken Ken is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:36:12 -0700 (PDT), solar penguin
wrote:

On 17 Mar, 00:20, Ken wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

At Barking District line trains open their doors to platforms on both
sides - my memory is failing me here but I think this is for eastbound
trains only (ICBW).

This is correct. WB District line trains stop on one side of the Up
island platform allowing cross-platform interchange with Up c2c
services. On the other side of the WB District line is the Down Grays
via Rainham line, then the island platform, then the Up Grays line.
(not sure of correct nomenclature but YKWIM).

Are you sure?

IIRC it's the eastbound District Line that stops on one side of the
Down island platform. And on the other side of the EB District Line
is the GOBLin island. There's no cross-platform interchange between
the District and the Grays via Rainham line at all.

No, you misunderstand me. I meant that on the other side of the WB
district is the *track* of the Down Grays line, not the platform.

Platforms at Barking are (IIRC)
1: GOBLIN terminating bay
2: EB District line (faces on both sides)
3: EB Bay (London end of 2 (South side)
4: Down c2c main
5: Up c2c main
6: WB District