Old March 16th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Jumping the single track at Finsbury Park

Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

(* I wimped out and traipsed through the subway)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old March 16th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 16, 8:02*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

(* I wimped out and traipsed through the subway)

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

I doubt if it could be construed as trespassing, but it could
definitely be construed as endangering the safe operation of the
railway and its staff and passengers (if you hit someone on landing,
for example). I would strongly urge against it - the gap is about 10
feet or 3 metres, which is a fairly long jump.
Old March 16th 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 16, 9:02*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

(* I wimped out and traipsed through the subway)

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

ii) Haven't seen it done in the UK, but on the continent, yes, where
the platforms are lower. There are often signs telling people not to
do it.
Old March 16th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Years ago the loop platforms at Sevenoaks had platforms both sides, and were
used to terminate suburban trains. Fast trains to and from the Coast used
the through lines in teh centre. So passengers used to go through the
suburban trains instead of crossing by the bridge. But even if a convenient
train stopped in the middle track at Finsbury Park, I don't suppose the
doors are opened both sides so that you can get through it.

Peter

Old March 16th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 16 Mar, 21:08, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote:

Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Years ago the loop platforms at Sevenoaks had platforms both sides, and were
used to terminate suburban trains. Fast trains to and from the Coast used
the through lines in the centre. So passengers used to go through the
suburban trains instead of crossing by the bridge. But even if a convenient
train stopped in the middle track at Finsbury Park, I don't suppose the
doors are opened both sides so that you can get through it.

No, they ain't. I suppose one would have to look back to the days of
slam doors on the Great Northern route for the last time such
opportunities arose.

The DLR affords opportunities for such platform hopping antics at
Canary Wharf, where passengers on the sidemost platforms could dash
through a train to reach the island platforms and hence the train on
the centre road. Not really one to try at rush hour, given the swarm
of humanity that would block one's way!

At Barking District line trains open their doors to platforms on both
sides - my memory is failing me here but I think this is for eastbound
trains only (ICBW). I can't picture the platform layout accurately so
I can't work out whether the opportunity to use a District line train
as a literal makeshift bridge would be of benefit to any passengers in
a rush.

The upcoming arrangement at Stratford for the westbound Central line
will mean the doors will open on both sides, but that only really gets
one onto the island platform for westbound mainline trains to
Liverpool St only. Most passengers wanting these will likely approach
said platform via the stairs.

Old March 16th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ken Ken is offline

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

At Barking District line trains open their doors to platforms on both
sides - my memory is failing me here but I think this is for eastbound
trains only (ICBW).

This is correct. WB District line trains stop on one side of the Up
island platform allowing cross-platform interchange with Up c2c
services. On the other side of the WB District line is the Down Grays
via Rainham line, then the island platform, then the Up Grays line.
(not sure of correct nomenclature but YKWIM).

I can't picture the platform layout accurately so
I can't work out whether the opportunity to use a District line train
as a literal makeshift bridge would be of benefit to any passengers in
a rush.

Only if you got off a terminating GOBLIN service in p.1 and wanted a
Shoebury/Southend-bound c2c service from p.4. You could indeed then
use a District train as a bridge. I suppose you could also do this in
reverse, i.e. going from, say, West Ham to Walthamstow QR via Barking,
but this seems less likely.

--
Ken
Old March 16th 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:
The upcoming arrangement at Stratford for the westbound Central line
will mean the doors will open on both sides, but that only really gets
one onto the island platform for westbound mainline trains to
Liverpool St only. Most passengers wanting these will likely approach
said platform via the stairs.

But if you arrive from, say Ilford, and want the DLR or the future
overbridge to the shopping centre and the Olympic site/Northern
Ticket Hall, stepping through a Central Line train will save you an
unnecessary trip down to ground level.

Old March 17th 08, 03:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 16, 8:02 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

(* I wimped out and traipsed through the subway)

As you hit the edge of the opposite platform the concrete would have
crumbled, and you would have been left left hanging over the rails by
your fingertips. A moustachioed man a in a suit would have then
approached you, but instead of helping he would slowly have stepped on
your fingers while laughing. I've seen that happen.
Old March 17th 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mr Thant wrote:
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

(* I wimped out and traipsed through the subway)

If you want to (safely) give it a go - try it at Lewes station where a
single-track bit has been filled in with gravel.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Stott
Canterbury Weather: http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
Old March 17th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message

... Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Years ago the loop platforms at Sevenoaks had platforms both sides, and were
used to terminate suburban trains. Fast trains to and from the Coast used
the through lines in teh centre. So passengers used to go through the
suburban trains instead of crossing by the bridge. But even if a convenient
train stopped in the middle track at Finsbury Park, I don't suppose the
doors are opened both sides so that you can get through it.

Peter

Tony Hancock did it many years ago in the film The Rebel.
But then, you could open the doors yourself.
He got across two tracks, train in each one.
(Sorry, couldn't find a film clip but I bet it's out there somewhere.)