Old April 19th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC (GN) Z6 Boundary Extension Ticketing

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:33:06 GMT, JB wrote:

R1256 travelcard

What is an R1256 travelcard?

--
jhk

Old April 19th 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:13:54 on
Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
What is an R1256 travelcard?

It is a travelcard for all zones 1-6.
Old April 19th 08, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Apr, 10:13, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
What is an R1256 travelcard?

If you buy a combined day return/day Travelcard from a station outside
London, it'll be marked as "To: R1256" rather than to London
Terminals.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old April 19th 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Apr, 09:33, JB wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:03:09 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Barry Salter
writes

*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making
such a journey?

Only if the "other" ticket is *NOT* a Season ticket, as per
Condition 19 of the NCoC.

Note, by the way, that a "Boundary Zone" ticket is *not* a separate
ticket for the purposes of NCoC 19. Rather, it's a receipt for the
additional fare to extend your journey, so that your Travelcard
*becomes* the ticket valid for the journey to the named station.

[This was hammered into me the other day when Kentish Town actually
issued me a "zonal extension", on LU stock, when I asked for a BZ6 to
Luton ticket. The gates at Luton were happy with it, though.]

Very interesting. Last week I had to travel from an FCC station
somewhere north of London* to Redhill, and then around London. I was
going to buy a one day "north of London" to R1256 travelcard and an
East Croydon to Redhill day return (as I know all the Redhill trains
stop at East Croydon). But the ticket office at the FCC station told
me I was better getting a Boundary 6 to Redhill.

I did ponder whether it was a valid combination for NCOC 19, but if
you are saying that it is not a combination, but should be considered
one ticket, that makes sense.

*location removed as I wouldn't want the FCC station to get into
trouble for suggesting cheaper tickets.

So, for the sake of clarity, can we confirm that a 'Boundary Zone'
ticket can also be used with a *Day* Travelcard - as the 'Boundary
Zone' ticket is not in fact technically a separate ticket, merely a
receipt for an additional fare?

Absurdly, these issues still confuse me, and seemingly many others,
despite the fact they come up at least every month! One feels an FAQ
would be helpful - I'd happily compile one but for the fact that half
my answers would be wrong!
Old April 19th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Apr, 10:30, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 19 Apr, 10:13, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

What is an R1256 travelcard?

If you buy a combined day return/day Travelcard from a station outside
London, it'll be marked as "To: R1256" rather than to London
Terminals.

It will also be thus marked if it is a season Travelcard too.

Indeed, even if a Day or season Travelcard is bought from a station
within London, it will be marked as "From: [station purchased at]" and
"To: R1256" if it is a zones 1-6 Travelcard. Meanwhile a zones 2-6 Day
or season Travelcard would be marked "To: R2356", whilst a zones 1-5
season would be marked "To: R1245".

The "R" apparently stands for "Rail" - this doesn't make an awful lot
of sense until you consider the alternative "U" marking which is for
"Underground" - for example, one could purchase a Brighton to "U1"
ticket, which is a Brighton to London Terminals ticket plus a single
Underground journey in zone 1 - alternatively one could purchase a
Peterborough to "U12" ticket, which is a ticket to London plus a
single Underground journey in zones 1 & 2, so one could alight at
Finsbury Park and get on the Victoria line to central London or indeed
go all the way through to Brixton (in zone 2 on the other side).

Just to be clear of any ambiguities, this of course doesn't mean that
Travelcards marked "R" are only valid on National Rail - they are
valid, as any Travelcard is, on all Underground and National Rail
services in the relevant zones, and also for all London Bus services
regardless of zones.

Old April 19th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:25:34 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:13:54 on
Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
What is an R1256 travelcard?

It is a travelcard for all zones 1-6.

Why is only 1256 used, and not 3 and 4?

--
jhk
Old April 19th 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 19, 11:59*am, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

Why is only 1256 used, and not 3 and 4?

Because it takes up less space.
Old April 19th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Old April 19th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Absurdly, these issues still confuse me, and seemingly many others,
despite the fact they come up at least every month! One feels an FAQ
would be helpful - I'd happily compile one but for the fact that half
my answers would be wrong!

I totally agree - and, clearly, many of the staff trying to enforce the
regulations are as confused as the travelling public! It seems to be a
lottery whether you get challenged or not (and whether that challenge is
correct or not).

Old April 19th 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote
So, for the sake of clarity, can we confirm that a 'Boundary Zone'
ticket can also be used with a *Day* Travelcard - as the 'Boundary
Zone' ticket is not in fact technically a separate ticket, merely a
receipt for an additional fare?

Yes, indeed I can confirm that. I do it regularly when I visit
London for 'leisure' (railway enthusiasm) purposes; I have often
bought more than one such BZ ticket on the same day. Sometimes I
extend 'normal' Day Travelcards; on other occasions I extend
'outboundary' Day Travelcards.

On Thursday this week, I used a Day Travelcard from Newark [1] and at
Victoria I extended it from BZ6 to Bognor Regis. Or at least that's
what I asked for at Victoria; I later discovered that I'd been issued
a Cheap Day Return from BZ*4* (rather than 6). Can anyone tell me
how much extra I paid because of this error?

[1] I drove to Newark because Cheap Day Returns and Outboundary
Travelcards are not available from Retford. NXEC: *please* do
something about this!