Old April 21st 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC (GN) Z6 Boundary Extension Ticketing

On Apr 21, 12:06*pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

While not important in this case, it's really not possible to delete posts
from Usenet. You might have removed the post form Google's servers, but
even if Google sends cancel messages to the newsservers they peer with,
some servers do not honour cancel messages. And in any case, the post has
already been downloaded by many clients.

Speaking of which, an error message popped up on GG when I tried to
reply to another post of yours (incidentally it was the same message I
saw before I doubled posted last time): 'An error was encountered
while trying to post, please try again later.'

For some reason some of my posts are now taking hours to show up on GG
as well.
Old April 21st 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 13:40, wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:06 pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

While not important in this case, it's really not possible to delete posts
from Usenet. You might have removed the post form Google's servers, but
even if Google sends cancel messages to the newsservers they peer with,
some servers do not honour cancel messages. And in any case, the post has
already been downloaded by many clients.

Speaking of which, an error message popped up on GG when I tried to
reply to another post of yours (incidentally it was the same message I
saw before I doubled posted last time): 'An error was encountered
while trying to post, please try again later.'

For some reason some of my posts are now taking hours to show up on GG
as well.

It's not just you, it's more of a widespread problem. GG regularly
suffers from protracted periods of getting a spanner (or indeed
several unwieldy spanners) stuck in the works, with long delays before
posts appearing, or with various different failures to post including
the error you mentioned, or a number of other server errors.
Thankfully the nasty error where GG actually accepted a post but
appeared not to leading to a user submitting that post several times
over leading to multiple duplicate posts hasn't reared its ugly head
lately.

As others have, will or would say, the best way to avoid all of this
is to use a standard usenet access service along with a dedicated
newsgroup program on your computer. 'Tis a great shame that Google
evidently can't be bothered to sort out even half the problems with GG
- web-based access to usenet is so very convenient, and for a wide
variety of reasons the alternative of installing software and only
using one computer is just less convenient (something that the GG
detractors often fail to recognise). But all the various problems and
the now increasing deluge of spam in newsgroups I frequent are pushing
me away from using GG to post to usenet, so someday I'll get round to
making alternative arrangements.

Old April 22nd 08, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Jarle H Knudsen
writes
1-6 takes up even less space, with the added benefit of being easy to
understand. So why use a form where some might think that zones 3 and 4 are
not included? Is space the only reason R1256 is used?

You'd be amazed how many people forging tickets don't check things like
this (or using JAN instead of JNR). It's harder to alter R1234 into
R1256 than to alter R1-4 into R1-6.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: