Old April 13th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC (GN) Z6 Boundary Extension Ticketing

Can somebody please remind me of current policy regarding buying add-on
tickets from Boundary Zone 6 on the GN (which don't exist these days, they
are issued from Hadley Wood, the boundary station) to stations beyond,
specifically Huntingdon/Peterborough, when purchased as add-ons to an
all-zones season ticket Travelcard?

*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making such a
journey? My understanding had always been that it was not, which was borne
out by the number of times that I've bought them, without problems, over the
years and had them inspected - without question. However, I recently had a
run-in with an over-zealous ticket office clerk at King's Cross, who refused
to sell me an add-on to my season ticket and insisted that I should buy a
King's Cross to Peterborough ticket instead. After I showed him the return
half of the previous one that I had bought and never been questioned on, he
capitulated.

The whole boundary station issue has been clouded for as many years as I've
been travelling. In the seventies, it was necessary to stop at the boundary
station between two tickets, in the eighties it was not necessary (certainly
from BZ6, although tickets were then issued as Boundary Zone 6). My
understanding of the current situation was that it was necessary to stop at
the boundary station when "transferring" between two tickets, except where
the ticket is an add-on to a season ticket. I've never had any previous
problems on the GN, or on SouthEastern, South West Trains or any other TOC
when buying an 'add-on'. Who's right?

Old April 13th 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:14:44 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

Can somebody please remind me of current policy regarding buying add-on
tickets from Boundary Zone 6 on the GN (which don't exist these days, they
are issued from Hadley Wood, the boundary station)

They should not be - they should be issued from "BOUNDARY ZONE 6" as
they are on every other route. If they're not, they are a traditional
ticket combination and so the train must stop unless one of them is a
season.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 13th 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
My
understanding of the current situation was that it was necessary to stop at
the boundary station when "transferring" between two tickets, except where
the ticket is an add-on to a season ticket.

Section 19 (c) of the Conditions of Carriage concurs:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf

(TfL is not a PTE)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old April 14th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
Can somebody please remind me of current policy regarding buying add-on
tickets from Boundary Zone 6 on the GN (which don't exist these days, they
are issued from Hadley Wood, the boundary station) to stations beyond,
specifically Huntingdon/Peterborough, when purchased as add-ons to an
all-zones season ticket Travelcard?

CDR Boundary Zone 6 - Huntingdon is showing as £16.00, SDR as £17.50,
and SVR is £19.00.

For Hadley Wood - Huntingdon, the figures are £16.00 CDR, £17.00 SDR and
£19.00 SVR.

There aren't any Boundary Zone 6 - Peterborough tickets, however,
presumably due to PBO being outside the Network Area.

*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making such a
journey?

Only if the "other" ticket is *NOT* a Season ticket, as per Condition 19
of the NCoC.

HTH,

Barry
Old April 14th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Can somebody please remind me of current policy regarding buying add-on
tickets from Boundary Zone 6 on the GN (which don't exist these days, they
are issued from Hadley Wood, the boundary station)

They should not be - they should be issued from "BOUNDARY ZONE 6" as
they are on every other route. If they're not, they are a traditional
ticket combination and so the train must stop unless one of them is a
season.

Which, in the case of the OP, it is - he has (in his words) an "all-
zones season ticket Travelcard".

Given that this thread is about clearing up confusion rather than
creating it, perhaps we shouldn't stray into the counter-intuitive
territory of how an "all-zones" Travelcard now no longer covers all
the zones!

Old April 14th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 13 Apr, 18:19, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

They should not be - they should be issued from "BOUNDARY ZONE 6" as
they are on every other route. If they're not, they are a
traditional ticket combination and so the train must stop unless one
of them is a season.

Which, in the case of the OP, it is - he has (in his words) an "all-
zones season ticket Travelcard".

Thanks, one and all, for your contributions. I've always travelled Finsbury
Park - Stevenage non-stop on a Hadley Wood - Huntingdon or Hadley Wood -
Peterborough ticket (or, recently, a Cambridge - Hadley Wood ticket), on the
understanding that the combination of my add-on ticket and my All-Zones
Season Travelcard did not require me to make a stop at Hadley Wood (as per
para 19c of the NRCOC). I've often been ticket-checked en route and have
never been challenged by WAGN or FCC staff, which was why I was rather
surprised by the individual at King's Cross (I usually buy my add-ons at
Marylebone or Aylesbury).

Old April 15th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Barry Salter
writes
*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making such a
journey?

Only if the "other" ticket is *NOT* a Season ticket, as per Condition
19 of the NCoC.

Note, by the way, that a "Boundary Zone" ticket is *not* a separate
ticket for the purposes of NCoC 19. Rather, it's a receipt for the
additional fare to extend your journey, so that your Travelcard
*becomes* the ticket valid for the journey to the named station.

[This was hammered into me the other day when Kentish Town actually
issued me a "zonal extension", on LU stock, when I asked for a BZ6 to
Luton ticket. The gates at Luton were happy with it, though.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old April 15th 08, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr, 11:03, "Clive D. W. Feather" cl...@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk wrote:
In article , Barry Salter
writes

*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making such a
journey?

Only if the "other" ticket is *NOT* a Season ticket, as per Condition
19 of the NCoC.

Note, by the way, that a "Boundary Zone" ticket is *not* a separate
ticket for the purposes of NCoC 19. Rather, it's a receipt for the
additional fare to extend your journey, so that your Travelcard
*becomes* the ticket valid for the journey to the named station.

[This was hammered into me the other day when Kentish Town actually
issued me a "zonal extension", on LU stock, when I asked for a BZ6 to
Luton ticket. The gates at Luton were happy with it, though.]

Most interesting. Can you provide some more information as to how it
was issued - did it actually state "zonal extension" in those words on
the ticket, did it cost the right amount (i.e. what you'd be charged
if you bought it as a National Rail ticket office), was it correctly
discounted as per your Gold Card etc?
Old April 15th 08, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
Mizter T writes
[This was hammered into me the other day when Kentish Town actually
issued me a "zonal extension", on LU stock, when I asked for a BZ6 to
Luton ticket. The gates at Luton were happy with it, though.]

Most interesting. Can you provide some more information as to how it
was issued - did it actually state "zonal extension" in those words on
the ticket,

I'm fairly sure it did (I was running out of time before the train
arrived, so I only glanced at it). It certainly did not carry either the
term "Boundary Zone 6" or "Luton" on it.

did it cost the right amount (i.e. what you'd be charged
if you bought it as a National Rail ticket office), was it correctly
discounted as per your Gold Card etc?

I think so. The seller looked up the fare in a list which certainly had
Luton as the row heading, and then went to a discount table. I paid
4.25; is that the right price for a single with Gold Card discount?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old April 19th 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:03:09 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Barry Salter
writes
*Is* it necessary to stop at the boundary station when making such a
journey?

Only if the "other" ticket is *NOT* a Season ticket, as per Condition
19 of the NCoC.

Note, by the way, that a "Boundary Zone" ticket is *not* a separate
ticket for the purposes of NCoC 19. Rather, it's a receipt for the
additional fare to extend your journey, so that your Travelcard
*becomes* the ticket valid for the journey to the named station.

[This was hammered into me the other day when Kentish Town actually
issued me a "zonal extension", on LU stock, when I asked for a BZ6 to
Luton ticket. The gates at Luton were happy with it, though.]

Very interesting. Last week I had to travel from an FCC station
somewhere north of London* to Redhill, and then around London. I was
going to buy a one day "north of London" to R1256 travelcard and an
East Croydon to Redhill day return (as I know all the Redhill trains
stop at East Croydon). But the ticket office at the FCC station told
me I was better getting a Boundary 6 to Redhill.

I did ponder whether it was a valid combination for NCOC 19, but if
you are saying that it is not a combination, but should be considered
one ticket, that makes sense.

*location removed as I wouldn't want the FCC station to get into
trouble for suggesting cheaper tickets.