Old May 8th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default This Photography Lark is Getting Ridiculous

"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
On 8 May, 16:52, Ian Jelf wrote:

One other rather baffling remark
from the female PCSO when I expressed surprise about this was that " a
lot of children use this park". Evidently carrying an umbrella in warm
weather and being in possession of a London Tourist Board Blue Badge
must be a sure sign of paedophilia.

"Think of the children"

It's the great unanswerable. Well, one of them, alongside "health and
safety".

Ian

Wasn't there a suspicious man with an open umbrella when JFK was
assassinated? C'mon own up!

Paul

Old May 8th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 08 May 2008 18:00:52 +0100 someone who may be Paul Corfield
wrote this:-

Alternatively next time this happens - as it surely will - you can pull
the cap off the brolley and fatally stab them with the poison tip and
then make good your escape ;-)

No need to pull off a cap, which might give the game away. The
poisoned ball is fired through the end of the umbrella by compressed
air.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 8th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 May 2008 18:28:10 +0100 someone who may be Tom Anderson
wrote this:-

Well, the events in Stockwell did establish that the police are quite
touchy when it comes to unseasonable gear.

Except that the man murdered by the police at Stockwell was not
wearing anything unseasonable, despite various false claims
afterwards that he was.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 8th 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
Surprised at being asked, I was staggered when they said that their
grounds for suspicion was that I was carrying.......an umbrella!

With hindsight, I suppose it did look a bit odd in yesterday's lovely
sunny weather

Some years ago I was at a technical conference in London. The conference
itself was at Lancaster Gate but the evening social was at Tower Bridge
(on the gantries). One of the (sponsored) free gifts was an umbrella.

So one July, on a scorching hot day, you got to see 500 geeks carrying
umbrellas as they rode the Underground from Lancaster Gate to Tower
Bridge.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 8th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 May 2008 23:03:58 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
Surprised at being asked, I was staggered when they said that their
grounds for suspicion was that I was carrying.......an umbrella!

With hindsight, I suppose it did look a bit odd in yesterday's lovely
sunny weather

Some years ago I was at a technical conference in London. The conference
itself was at Lancaster Gate but the evening social was at Tower Bridge
(on the gantries). One of the (sponsored) free gifts was an umbrella.

So one July, on a scorching hot day, you got to see 500 geeks carrying
umbrellas as they rode the Underground from Lancaster Gate to Tower
Bridge.

If it is summer they are called parasols.
(until it rains...)

Old May 8th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 May 2008, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 8 May, 16:52, Ian Jelf wrote:

One other rather baffling remark from the female PCSO when I expressed
surprise about this was that " a lot of children use this park".
Evidently carrying an umbrella in warm weather and being in possession
of a London Tourist Board Blue Badge must be a sure sign of
paedophilia.

"Think of the children"

It's the great unanswerable.

It's easily answerable - "what has this got to do with road safety?".
Traffic accidents kill and harm orders of magnitude more children than
paedophiles or other easy targets. And yet strangely, almost nobody seems
inclined to do anything about them.

tom

--
For the first few years I ate lunch with he mathematicians. I soon found
that they were more interested in fun and games than in serious work,
Old May 8th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote this:-

Well, the events in Stockwell did establish that the police are quite
touchy when it comes to unseasonable gear.

Except that the man murdered by the police at Stockwell was not wearing
anything unseasonable, despite various false claims afterwards that he
was.

Curses!

I was just reading up on the Stockwell thing. He wasn't running from the
police either, was he? It really was a completely shocking business. And
yet there are still people who want to give the police *more* powers.

This is a bit like the people who think the solution to the credit crunch
is to give the banks more money and ease the regulations. I despair.

tom

Old May 8th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 8 May 2008 18:11:48 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 8 May 2008 16:52:43 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Further to recent discussions about people taking an interest in buses,
trains, etc. getting "hassle" from the authorities, yesterday evening I
had an interesting, non-transport-related variant which I hope will
nonetheless be of interest to people on utl and ur.

Alternatively next time this happens - as it surely will - you can pull
the cap off the brolley and fatally stab them with the poison tip and
then make good your escape ;-)

Paul, it's absurd, insulting, and unhelpful to suggest that Ian has a
poison-tipped or otherwise lethal umbrella.

We all know it's an exploding blue badge he's got.

I do apologise for making such a fundamental error. Despite meeting him
twice I have yet to see the exploding blue badge - perhaps I am blessed?

You evidently haven't annoyed him.

Yet.

tom

Old May 9th 08, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 9 May 2008 00:25:42 +0100 someone who may be Tom Anderson
wrote this:-

I was just reading up on the Stockwell thing. He wasn't running from the
police either, was he?

Correct. The murder victim did hear a train and, like many other
people, hurry/run part of the way and then sit in the train. However
he was almost certainly never aware that the thugs who first made a
lot of noise and then burst into the coach in a threatening manner
were police officers, so it was impossible for him to run away from
the police.

It really was a completely shocking business. And
yet there are still people who want to give the police *more* powers.

Indeed.

The report by the "Independent" Police Complaints Commission may be
downloaded from
http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/resources/evidence_reports/investigation_reports/ipcc_resources_stockwellone.htm.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 9th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Anderson wrote:
Traffic accidents kill and harm orders of magnitude more children than
paedophiles or other easy targets. And yet strangely, almost nobody
seems inclined to do anything about them.

Oh they are. The general policy is to teach children to be petrified
of motor vehicles and parents to keep them inside them at all costs.

Should anyone wish, despite this, to cycle, it is made clear to them
that they are being suicidally reckless and are unlikely to survive
long - especially if they fail to wear a plastic hat which is rather
less strong than their skull.

The idea that perhaps the source of the danger should be tackled is
still too radical for those with the power to do it.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as