Old May 9th 08, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default This Photography Lark is Getting Ridiculous

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Should anyone wish, despite this, to cycle, it is made clear to them
that they are being suicidally reckless and are unlikely to survive
long

Some cyclists are, without doubt, reckless, and are a danger not only to
themselves but to others. When I were a lad, such people were the
exception. Perhaps they still are, but it seems to be less of an
exception than it was.

Over the past year, I can recall one situation I observed where I felt
that a motorist had potentially caused danger to a cyclist. It would be
four or five where the cause of the danger was the cyclist.

.... and that's before we get on to the question of whether cyclists have
lights and visible reflectors when they go out at night...
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14486561.html
(43 008 at Crewe, 28 Apr 2001)

Old May 9th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 09 May 2008 10:16:00 GMT someone who may be Chris Tolley
wrote this:-

Some cyclists are, without doubt, reckless, and are a danger not only to
themselves but to others.

That is true of most groups of people.

When I were a lad, such people were the
exception. Perhaps they still are, but it seems to be less of an
exception than it was.

Another possibility is that your perception of danger has changed as
you got older.

Over the past year, I can recall one situation I observed where I felt
that a motorist had potentially caused danger to a cyclist. It would be
four or five where the cause of the danger was the cyclist.

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist? While most things are
possible it is not easy. Motorists are inside a box, so even of the
cyclist crashes into them at high speed they are likely to walk away
with no injuries. It is not the same the other way round.

Note that some motorists have claimed not to have noticed that they
were killing a cyclist or pedestrian, that is how isolated some are
from the world outside their little box.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 9th 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote this:-

Some cyclists are, without doubt, reckless, and are a danger not only to
themselves but to others.

That is true of most groups of people.

When I were a lad, such people were the
exception. Perhaps they still are, but it seems to be less of an
exception than it was.

Another possibility is that your perception of danger has changed as
you got older.

I could also simply be in a position to observe more of this than I did
before. It may also be a northern thing. One of the more surprising
aspects of living in Manchester was the casual abandon with which
pedestrians would step off the kerb without checking first that it
wasn't going to be fatal for them.

Over the past year, I can recall one situation I observed where I felt
that a motorist had potentially caused danger to a cyclist. It would be
four or five where the cause of the danger was the cyclist.

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist? While most things are
possible it is not easy. Motorists are inside a box, so even of the
cyclist crashes into them at high speed they are likely to walk away
with no injuries. It is not the same the other way round.

In the only one of the incidents I referred to above where *I* was the
motorist, there was a cyclist ahead of me who was on the nearside and
then suddenly, with no signal, and not even a backward glance swerved
across the road in front of me to make a right turn. Because I had
slowed down as I usually do when approaching cyclists, the car which was
behind me was then very close on my bumper, so I couldn't brake hard. My
only option was myself to swerve right and thus cross the centre line.
Fortunately, there was nothing coming the other way. If there had been,
I don't know how I would have come out of it unscathed. As I passed him,
I observed he was wearing an i-Pod, and moreover, the expression on his
face suggested he was oblivious to the incident which almost unfolded
behind him.

Note that some motorists have claimed not to have noticed that they
were killing a cyclist or pedestrian, that is how isolated some are
from the world outside their little box.

Quite. Nowhere have I alleged that motorists are paragons of virtue.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632854.html
(33 054 with assorted vans at Reading - 17 Jan 1981)
Old May 9th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

David Hansen wrote:

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist?

By flying head-first through the window of a car (I have heard of cyclist
who did this, although no-one was injured in that instance). Also by causing
cars to brake or swerve and then suffer collisions with other vehicles or
street furniture.

Old May 9th 08, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 07:19:40PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

I do apologise for making such a fundamental error. Despite meeting him
twice I have yet to see the exploding blue badge - perhaps I am blessed?

Surely if you were Mr. Blessed YOU WOULD TYPE LIKE THIS?

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

You don't need to spam good porn

Old May 9th 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 9 May 2008 12:01:58 +0100 someone who may be "John Rowland"
wrote this:-

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist?

By flying head-first through the window of a car

As I said in my next sentence, which you snipped, "While most things
are possible it is not easy."

Presumably this was a side window and it might have been open too?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 9th 08, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote this:-

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist?

By flying head-first through the window of a car

Presumably this was a side window and it might have been open too?

It was the back window and it wasn't openable (or it was, but it wasn't
closeable!). The cyclist could not remove his head without the assistance of
the driver.

Old May 9th 08, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 9 May 2008 13:10:20 +0100 someone who may be "John Rowland"
wrote this:-

How does a cyclist cause danger to a motorist?

By flying head-first through the window of a car

Presumably this was a side window and it might have been open too?

It was the back window and it wasn't openable (or it was, but it wasn't
closeable!). The cyclist could not remove his head without the assistance of
the driver.

And they went far enough into the car to cause danger to the
motorist?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 9th 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 May 2008, David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 07:19:40PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

I do apologise for making such a fundamental error. Despite meeting him
twice I have yet to see the exploding blue badge - perhaps I am blessed?

Surely if you were Mr. Blessed YOU WOULD TYPE LIKE THIS?

+1

tom

--
I could tell you a great many more particulars but suppose that you are
tired of it by this time. -- John Backhouse, Trainspotter Zero
Old May 9th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ken Ken is offline

On Thu, 8 May 2008 23:03:58 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
Surprised at being asked, I was staggered when they said that their
grounds for suspicion was that I was carrying.......an umbrella!

With hindsight, I suppose it did look a bit odd in yesterday's lovely
sunny weather

Some years ago I was at a technical conference in London. The conference
itself was at Lancaster Gate but the evening social was at Tower Bridge
(on the gantries). One of the (sponsored) free gifts was an umbrella.

So one July, on a scorching hot day, you got to see 500 geeks carrying
umbrellas as they rode the Underground from Lancaster Gate to Tower
Bridge.

Wouldn't a true geek walk to Marble Arch and take the no. 15?
--
Ken