Old August 18th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hey ho, hey ho, its off to strike we go...

Spares what a novel idea, I must suggest that one to Metropolitan Line
"management" they'll fall off their chairs laughing.

The only (vague) possibility would be to use a couple of spares, but as
has already been mentioned, most lines are already at capacity train
wise and no more can be fitted in without causing delays.

Old August 18th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , www.waspies.net
writes
Spares what a novel idea, I must suggest that one to Metropolitan Line
"management" they'll fall off their chairs laughing.
The only (vague) possibility would be to use a couple of spares, but
as has already been mentioned, most lines are already at capacity
train wise and no more can be fitted in without causing delays.

Quite agree - our lot have heard of them but they're usually out driving
uncovered turns!
Old August 18th 08, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 18, 8:07*pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,www.waspies.net
writes

Spares what a novel idea, I must suggest that one to Metropolitan Line
"management" they'll fall off their chairs laughing.
*The only (vague) possibility would be to use a couple of spares, but
as has already been mentioned, most lines are already at capacity
train *wise and no more can be fitted in without causing delays.

Quite agree - our lot have heard of them but they're usually out driving
uncovered turns!

The DLR seems to be parking a spare train at Lewisham (been back days
apart and seen the same one there), but I don't suppose they are
making full use of the available rolling stock during the current
works.
Old August 18th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message
,
Alex writes

Where would they get the drivers and trains from at such short
notice? (We have to have at least 2 weeks notice of change of
duties).

Don't they have some extra stock available? (above number needed for
normal peak hour service?)

No. Trains are often cancelled for unavailable stock as it is.
Just because you might see one or two sat in a depot doesn't mean
they are actually available for service. After the 7/7 bombings,
the Circle has had one train regularly cancelled due to the lack of
that one train.

Surely two Circle trains sustained bomb damage on 7/7? How much stock was
written off?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 18th 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , ]
(Steve Fitzgerald) wrote:

No. Trains are often cancelled for unavailable stock as it is.
Just because you might see one or two sat in a depot doesn't mean
they are actually available for service. After the 7/7 bombings,
the Circle has had one train regularly cancelled due to the lack of
that one train.

Surely two Circle trains sustained bomb damage on 7/7? How much stock
was written off?

Only two new cars have been provided apparently, built in Hungary and
recently introduced into service. So presumably only two cars were written
off, and one train assembled from the two damaged ones?

Paul S

Old August 18th 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes

No. Trains are often cancelled for unavailable stock as it is.
Just because you might see one or two sat in a depot doesn't mean
they are actually available for service. After the 7/7 bombings,
the Circle has had one train regularly cancelled due to the lack of
that one train.

Surely two Circle trains sustained bomb damage on 7/7? How much stock was
written off?

2 anna bit cars, which equate to units as the other car is useless
without its mate (well, two cars properly bombed and 1 slightly damaged
which was used as the template for the two cars rebuilt).

One Circle line train consists of 3 2 car units.
Old August 18th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message . uk,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

No. Trains are often cancelled for unavailable stock as it is.
Just because you might see one or two sat in a depot doesn't mean
they are actually available for service. After the 7/7 bombings,
the Circle has had one train regularly cancelled due to the lack of
that one train.

Surely two Circle trains sustained bomb damage on 7/7? How much stock
was written off?

2 anna bit cars, which equate to units as the other car is useless
without its mate (well, two cars properly bombed and 1 slightly
damaged which was used as the template for the two cars rebuilt).

One Circle line train consists of 3 2 car units.

As with the Irish bomb in the 70s. One C77 unit was provided as a
replacement, one new car and one rebuilt.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 18th 08, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Aug, 20:14, MIG wrote:
The DLR seems to be parking a spare train at Lewisham (been back days
apart and seen the same one there), but I don't suppose they are
making full use of the available rolling stock during the current
works.

The trains running the Lewisham-Island Gardens shuttle are trapped
down there by the building work, so if one of them fails they can't
bring another in from elsewhere.

(I'm not sure if it's the same trains stuck for the duration of the
works, or if the building site at Mudchute is occasionally shut down
to allow them to be swapped - but certainly they can't swap them at
short notice)

Old August 19th 08, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 19, 12:29*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 18 Aug, 20:14, MIG wrote:

The DLR seems to be parking a spare train at Lewisham (been back days
apart and seen the same one there), but I don't suppose they are
making full use of the available rolling stock during the current
works.

The trains running the Lewisham-Island Gardens shuttle are trapped
down there by the building work, so if one of them fails they can't
bring another in from elsewhere.

(I'm not sure if it's the same trains stuck for the duration of the
works, or if the building site at Mudchute is occasionally shut down
to allow them to be swapped - but certainly they can't swap them at
short notice)

My impression is that there has been swapping. I've mostly been
avoiding the DLR, but I didn't get the impression that it was always
the same units turning up, although the same pair would be parked for
days.
Old August 19th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Boltar writes
.. with a Bob Crowe here and a dodgy ballot there , hey ho hey ho etc
etc

Mr Bobbys performance related bonus must be due soon. Obviously the
strike quota hasn't been met this year so something needs to be done!

He does seem like a drunk on a Saturday night strutting up the street
with his medallion swinging and shouting "who you looking at" at the
passers by. Just out to cause trouble !!

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Bad attack of the Klingons !!"