Old October 8th 08, 12:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default New DLR trains

On Sep 28, 7:56*pm, wrote:
I've only travelled on one from Mudchute to Greenwich so there was
never much 'wobble' on the stretch anyway. What I can say though is
that the ride quality is very different. Feels and sounds like you're
on a completely different transport system!

I've now managed to glimpse a new train, but that's all.

I've noticed how, on the wobblier sections, the shiny surface of the
tracks has a very zigzaggy pattern, and I wonder if the wobbling has
worn a groove in the tracks that the new trains can't help but follow.

And at a tangent, I see that the fork between the North Curve and the
West Curve is now a normal flat junction which is in use, and the
rollercoaster no longer has any track. It has also been severed where
it crosses the tracks towards Poplar.

I still can't quite see where the new track will go. Maybe on lowered
pillars in exactly the same alignment as the rollercoaster, because
there isn't a lot of space.

Old October 8th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 1:53 am, MIG wrote:
I still can't quite see where the new track will go. Maybe on lowered
pillars in exactly the same alignment as the rollercoaster, because
there isn't a lot of space.

They seem to forever be changing the layout of that piece of the line.
Is this a string of poor decisions being made in the past or is it
just a new director wanting to make his mark?

B2003

Old October 8th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:53 am, MIG wrote:
I still can't quite see where the new track will go. Maybe on lowered
pillars in exactly the same alignment as the rollercoaster, because
there isn't a lot of space.

They seem to forever be changing the layout of that piece of the line.
Is this a string of poor decisions being made in the past or is it
just a new director wanting to make his mark?

B2003

Heaven forbid that it might be investment in an improved service to meet
customer demand for more frequent services and longer trains, eh?

Tom
Old October 8th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Oct, 10:54, Boltar wrote:
They seem to forever be changing the layout of that piece of the line.
Is this a string of poor decisions being made in the past or is it
just a new director wanting to make his mark?

No, it's a staged construction process. When the DLR first opened, it
was a simple two-way double track viaduct. when the junction was
rebuilt for the Beckton branch, the original tracks became two
westbound tracks merging at the west end, with the eastbound carried
on the flyover.

During the recent set of works, the first thing they did was move the
merger of the two westbound tracks to very near West India Quay,
taking the northern track along the viaduct out of use. That's since
been connected up at both ends to become an eastbound track again,
allowing the flyover to be partly demolished.

The flyover will be lowered significantly at its east end to pass
under the West India Quay-Poplar viaduct and reconnect on the east
side of the viaduct into Canary Wharf.

Old October 8th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 12:03 pm, Tom Barry wrote:
Heaven forbid that it might be investment in an improved service to meet
customer demand for more frequent services and longer trains, eh?

So poor decisions made in the past then.

B2003

Old October 8th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 1:35 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
The flyover will be lowered significantly at its east end to pass
under the West India Quay-Poplar viaduct and reconnect on the east
side of the viaduct into Canary Wharf.

God almighty , just how hard would it have been to build a working
triangular junction in the first place??

B2003

Old October 8th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 2:10*pm, Boltar wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:35 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

The flyover will be lowered significantly at its east end to pass
under the West India Quay-Poplar viaduct and reconnect on the east
side of the viaduct into Canary Wharf.

God almighty , just how hard would it have been to build a working
triangular junction in the first place??

B2003

When the original network was built in the mid 1980s, the plans for
the Canary Wharf development were much smaller (much like the
surrounding developments, less than ten stories etc.) and so a small
railway was all that was thought to be need. Remember that the
original network was built for only £77million (from memory) and this
included the 11 trains; it was a simple three legged network, with the
delta junction (which is the location in question) at the heart
allowing services from one leg to any other and this junction had no
problems coping with the early service levels. This design was used to
minimise the cost of getting the network opened. Yes, this early penny
pinching has led to all the redesigns/rebuilding as the network has
expanded, but, without it, the DLR would probably never have opened in
the first place.
Old October 23rd 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Oct, 14:10, Boltar wrote:

On Oct 8, 1:35 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

The flyover will be lowered significantly at its east end to pass
under the West India Quay-Poplar viaduct and reconnect on the east
side of the viaduct into Canary Wharf.

God almighty , just how hard would it have been to build a working
triangular junction in the first place??

Considering that you can predict the future, why don't you go and do
the job yourself Boltar?

Actually why don't you just go the whole hog, take over everything and
become a benign dictator?
Old October 26th 08, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 23, 4:20*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 23 Sep, 16:25, Boltar wrote:

Anyone been on them yet? Have they managed to solve the side to side
wobbling?

Yes, and I've been intending to but not yet got round to posting about
it (a bit like a million and one other subjects of transportational
interest in the Metropolis!).

I had one trip on a new DLR train a couple of weeks ago (during its
first week of operation) from Lewisham up to Shadwell. My impression
was certainly that it had a smoother ride, though the Train Captain -
sorry, PSA - I spoke to said he didn't think it was any better than
the older trains! I was specifically looking out for the side to side
wobble, and in my subjective judgement whilst it had not been
eliminated completely, where it was apparent it was much reduced in
comparison to the sometimes quite sharp jerking from side to side of
the older trains. Other aspects of the ride quality did feel a bit
smoother than the older trains, but not radically so.

The internal design of the new trains didn't appear to be particularly
revolutionary - the layout seemed to be pretty similar to the older
trains (if it ain't broke etc). The all glazed doors is a new look,
though there is actually part of the frame that spans the width of
each door internally which isn't particularly apparent from their
external appearance. And the internal LED signs were all green, can't
remember what colour they were externally.

I glimpsed another one. The external displays are orange (as are the
internal and external ones on the old trains).

All in all it felt like it was a decent train. Perhaps I need some
more experience before I can pass proper judgement on whether the
wobble has been suitably abated.

Old October 31st 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 23, 10:19 am, Mizter T wrote:
God almighty , just how hard would it have been to build a working
triangular junction in the first place??

Considering that you can predict the future, why don't you go and do
the job yourself Boltar?

One rebuild you can understand , but what is this one , the 2nd or
3rd?

Actually why don't you just go the whole hog, take over everything and
become a benign dictator?

Don't worry, its on my todo list. Except for the benign part , I think
we can dispense with that bit.

B2003