Old November 25th 08, 01:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo Line beyond Harrow & Wealdstone

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:32:20 -0000, wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message

Replacing the fourth rail isn't going to be cheap. You also have stuff
like installing one-person-operation equipment (Bakerloo trains have
lost their guards since the line closed. London Overground hasn't) and
communication systems and so on.

As for
extra stock - where did it all go when the line was cut back to
wealdstone?

It still had 1959 and 1938 stock back then, so the answer is either
for scrap or the Isle of Wight.

Is a fourth rail really necessary out that way, however?

It is if you want the same train to work both there and on the
Underground.

I always understood
that they were really needed only for the tub sections of the tube, to help
power flow into the motors.

No the LU 4-rail power supply is intended to keep the traction current
within the two conductor rails and not find its way back via other
bits of metal with consequent damage.

I heard this on the Island Line, where 38 stock operates only with a 3rd rail.

No tube tunnels or aforementioned metalwork to worry about.

Also, what sort of equipment would you need to ensure safe one-man
operation? Are the stop arms still working?

Old November 25th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:32:20 -0000 someone who may be
wrote this:-

Is a fourth rail really necessary out that way, however? I always understood
that they were really needed only for the tub sections of the tube, to help
power flow into the motors. I heard this on the Island Line, where 38 stock
operates only with a 3rd rail.

It operates there after being modified to allow the traction supply
to travel via the running rails. Heavy electric currents through
bearings is not a good combination, hence the modification.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 25th 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

D7666 wrote:

I'm now trying to think where I have been DOO where there are no
cameras.

There's Gipsy Hill on Southern. That has mirrors but no cameras.

Old November 25th 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Nov, 09:06, "solar penguin"
wrote:
There's Gipsy Hill on Southern. *That has mirrors but no cameras.

When three car trains run on the Northern City they stop halfway along
the northbound platform at Highbury & Islington, where there are no
cameras or mirrors. The trains are definitely OPO and there's no
platform dispatcher either.

(Various other FCC stations have mirrors only, where the platforms are
straight enough)

Old November 25th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote

When three car trains run on the Northern City they stop halfway along
the northbound platform at Highbury & Islington, where there are no
cameras or mirrors. The trains are definitely OPO and there's no
platform dispatcher either.

Are they DOO now? When DOO started on the GN inner suburbans they took on a
guard between Drayton Park and Moorgate.

Peter

Old November 25th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote...
When three car trains run on the Northern City they stop halfway along
the northbound platform at Highbury & Islington, where there are no
cameras or mirrors. The trains are definitely OPO and there's no
platform dispatcher either.

Are they DOO now? When DOO started on the GN inner suburbans they took on
guard between Drayton Park and Moorgate.

They've been DOO for a good while now; Drayton park has (?had) mirrors
halfway up the platofrm when they lost the second man.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing them at Highbury - and I
don't recall ever seeing a dispatcher in the off-peak when three car trains
are still used.
--

Andrew

Old November 25th 08, 12:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Nov, 12:57, "Peter Masson" wrote:
Are they DOO now? When DOO started on the GN inner suburbans they took on a
guard between Drayton Park and Moorgate.

They have new-ish LCD CCTV monitors for the driver embedded into the
tunnel walls at most stations, with "open doors other side" signs. So
if they do carry a guard, there's not a lot for them to do. I can't
say I've ever seen a guard, but then I haven't been looking.

Old November 25th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

DOO

CCTV

mirrors

OK, I stand corrected on the DOO mirror / CCTV issue.

However, a question then, in our 21st HSE nazi state would they not
required CCTV for any new DOO implementation ? Perhaps I have read
this somewhere any maybe thats where I got the idea from ?

--
Nick